Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonScoring View Post
    I was not a fan of modular handguards early on because they felt too skinny to me. I also liked the way 1913 rail would dig into my hand, giving me a real solid grip.
    I'm the opposite for this. Never liked handguards that didn't have that nice fit around my hands, like a Geissele does .... and I don't like cheese graters - well at least sharp ones; rounded/smoothed out - different story.

UW - you made a good point about the start time of Keymod accessories. Like you said, I guess only time will tell to see which one is liked more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If you wouldn't mind, like what are we talking here? 10% cheaper? 20%?

Just your best guess...and why they are cheaper (or more expensive)
    Up to 40% cheaper for keymod nuts based on my suppliers. Generally, the 10-24 screws for mlok also cost more than the 8-32 screws for keymod.

We're not talking about a very large amount of money, but on a part you want to sell for $20 an extra $2 makes a huge difference when you're trying to fit in distributor pricing.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being that I got into the AR game when modular systems were taking over the 1913 I've never even experienced full quad rails (other than shooting a friend's rifle, once).

Since I got the Noveske handed down to me, Keymod is really all I know other than when I had MOE.
    Going forward my current build will be keymod and likely any future build beyond that.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't change out parts very often so it really doesn't bother me what type of attachment system is used. I also do not wear gloves when I shoot, and 1913 picatinny doesn't bother me either. To me the only benefit I care about that you get from the these new Brazilian waxed handguards is weight. I've been using a Geissele MK4 lately and its OK.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I don't change out parts very often so it really doesn't bother me what type of attachment system is used. I also do not wear gloves when I shoot, and 1913 picatinny doesn't bother me either. To me the only benefit I care about that you get from the these new Brazilian waxed handguards is weight. I've been using a Geissele MK4 lately and its OK.
    Just out of curiosity I googled it and my rail is 14" and weights 11oz. A Daniel Defense 14" quad rail weighs 17.4 oz.

I don't change out parts that often either... once I set it up that's it unless I am trying to experiment with new things.

I like the feel in hand of the smooth, er 'brazillian waxed' rail myself. I think they look better too

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I think Centurion had the best idea with threaded holes in the CMR rail. Directly bolt the accessories on, doesn't get much simpler. I'll be checking out some Arisaka stuff shortly .

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Geissele MK1 had threaded holes also, but was heavy. The CMR is a very nice handguard.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Geissele MK1 had threaded holes also, but was heavy. The CMR is a very nice handguard.
    One of the downsides to the MK1, in my opinion. A solid rail irregardless.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by oilspill View Post
    Personally I think Centurion had the best idea with threaded holes in the CMR rail. Directly bolt the accessories on, doesn't get much simpler.
    I don't know anything about Centurion but I kind of like the idea of adaptability and interchangeability. What happens if the rail has holes only at certain spots and you have buy all these proprietary accessories? Then you switch rails and guess what, you start all over. At least with these M-lok and Keymod designs... say you had two guns you can interchange parts because of compatibility. I can think of a number of reasons why I would like these keymod/mlok designs better as a whole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    did some say K-Mod

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think BCM almost singlehandedly cemented Keymod into the market, especially after their free bcg sale. It seems like almost every rifle i see on the range has a KMR hand guard on it.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    I think BCM almost singlehandedly cemented Keymod into the market, especially after their free bcg sale. It seems like almost every rifle i see on the range has a KMR hand guard on it.
    Agreed, looks like they want to go head to head with Magpul and make their money back on plastic.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed, looks like they want to go head to head with Magpul and make their money back on plastic.
    Not the first time, selling accessories was more lucrative than selling the actual hardware. I want to see where we are in another year or two as far as accessories. For me so far, the biggest draw back of the head start Keymod has had is, there aren't many accessories. You basically have to attach 1913 rails to the keymod, and then attach your standard accessories, introducing a possible additional point of failure. I do love the weight and slim profile of the NSR and KMR though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Not the first time, selling accessories was more lucrative than selling the actual hardware. I want to see where we are in another year or two as far as accessories. For me so far, the biggest draw back of the head start Keymod has had is, there aren't many accessories. You basically have to attach 1913 rails to the keymod, and then attach your standard accessories, introducing a possible additional point of failure. I do love the weight and slim profile of the NSR and KMR though.
    There is an advantage to this. If you only need one or two small rail sections, you can attach them and still have that small O.D. of the keymod. I suppose its the same way with M-LOK. If you need to hang stuff all over your weapon, lasers, lights, optics, BUIS, bipod, and what ever else one might need, a quad rail may still be the best option of either the Keymod or M-LOK.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran into an issue with M-lok today that I didn't expect. I've got a 10" SLR M-lok Solo Lite rail with a 10.5" Aero barrel and BCM low pro gas block. I tried installing a rail section all the way forward and was not able to because the nut touched the gas block and it kept it from turning 90°. Instead, the nut screwed down without engaging the rail. Thankfully I prefer the rail section back a slot.

I have no idea if a similar thing could have happened with keymod; the M-lok nut seems thicker.