Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

M16 vs M4 (20 inch vs 14.5 inch) (Rifle vs Carbine)

ok so here is another long argued debate and i am just looking for some opinions and views. i am building a new AR and am wondering if i should do a carbine or rifle build. now i dont believe in having 2 or more of the same rifle cause whats the point?(i dont need to hear your views or crap on that) my ar will be my shtf and zombie rifle :) and i live in northern oregon in a rural community. a carbine would be more compact, lighter and easier to carry but the rifle has the better accuracy at longer distances. if i go with a carbine my main optic will be a EOtech and if a do a rifle it will be an ACOG. so its either a M4 flat top clone or a M16A4 clone. what do u guys and gals think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rifles are not inherently more accurate. They have a longer barrel, longer sight radius, and retain more velocity. M4s have outshot A2s on the line. If you're putting glass on them, the sight radius is a wash.
    If you put an ACOG on an M4 it will still be accurate and give you a more compact platform.
    The rifle will give you a longer frag range for M855/M193 and Mk262 if that is a concern. The Mk 262 is less velocity sensitive, and other non-.mil loads will behave differently as well.
    Another option would be to have a carbine lower with two uppers. One could be a standard M4 and the other could be an SPR/recce or similar type.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're torn between those, then a basic 16" Middy sounds like the answer. Will still shoot great, flattop and ACOG are a very good combination. The 16" barrel is still pretty maneuverable, but isn't much of a muzzle energy loss compared to an SBR barrel.

BCM or CMMG would be a good place to start. BravoCo and AIM Surplus would be the places to buy.
    LMT also has a 16" M4 Carbine, which would also be a fine carbine for that use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dont know where you stand, but most people are not good enough shots to be able to utilize the nominal added accuracy and velocity of the longer barrel. I am in L/E and have the 14.5 Noveske which is more than capable of accomodating my skills and needs. With Hornady 5.56 75gr TAP it is awsome out to 150-200 yds (with an Eotech). If I need longer range then I'll just grab my .308 bolt gun (always keeping my AR handy tho).

Downloads
    Uploads

AR15-A4 vs M4

Unless your clearing buildings the 20" gets my vote, accuracy is king,
    accuracy w/velocity is better

Downloads
    Uploads

14 vs 20

I use a Colt M4 w/ 14 1/2 bbl at work. The carbine is a very practical rifle, with good ammo and glass you have a good primary weapon system. The big advantage is compactness of the 14 1/2, it's a bit easier to get the carbine in and out of cramp places. Personally, I would go 16 bbl w/ 1X7 twist over the 14 1/2-a bit of velocity gain.

As M24 & Capt Kirk said, consider your options with different uppers. Consider a 2nd upper in 6.8mm. As a SHTF weapon, the AR can be modified to fill various roles. Good luck.
    Last edited by tac40; 22 November 2008 at 06:37. Reason: info

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another vote for a 16 inch midlength. Look at Noveske Nw light recce low profile from the boys in Grant Pass. Slap an ACOG on it and call it done. I will have one of these some day.

Last edited by sdcromer; 23 November 2008 at 19:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have went from one to the other' , im finding that im liking the rifle more and more.
    im in a rual area. and longer shots are the norm.
    my A4 is starting to be my favorite rifle.
    ordered a set of troy drop in handguards, so its looking like a somewhat/clone ,
    altho ? i did putt a RR two stage in her' and a A1 stock' works great.
    peabody