Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    Take cool pics!
    I'm a city boy, so killing something I'm not going to eat is a new concept.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone here do pig irradication?

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't kill things I won't eat either, unless it's something that's not supposed to be here. My fish for example. Everything gets released, I can buy fish at the market. Except for snakeheads. They aren't supposed to be here, they get killed with no remorse.

Same goes for pigs and coyotes. No remorse for something that is overpopulated, ruining farmers crops, killing other game, etc. coyotes you can sell the furs, and pigs are good eating though. Coyotes get thrown in the woods. Other animals gotta eat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But hey, I'm not opposed to eating too much bacon... is there such a thing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    man, I want to do one of those helicopter hog hunts so bad I can taste it. I'm within 2 years from retirement, and I'm thinking that will be my retirement gift to myself (that, and a bigassed fancy handmade humidor...)
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    This particular hunt...in that area pigs kept getting on the road among all the other damage they cause, a lady hit one and rolled her car and almost got killed because of it...

Last year our county even offered bounties for hogs... 30 or 40 grand in damage just on the one ranch...land rendered almost useless...and a human being almost died because of them... So we hunted them and we ate them too. Win win...except for the pigs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what I do. If I kill it it gets eaten. Some exceptions but not many.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never killed more than 3 or 4 at a time, that's all I can handle with help in one night depending on size, or well all that I feel comfortable handling. The pigs in a lot of GA are such a problem now some do leave them in the woods though since they are considered a pest. What is really concerning is when farmers get a kill permit for deer that are causing crop damage, many will tell you when you shoot for them kill as many as you can and drag the carcass out of the field. I have caught a lot of flack from a farmer before for only killing 3 deer in a night since that's all I could clean in the summer heat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GaSwamper View Post
    I've never killed more than 3 or 4 at a time, that's all I can handle with help in one night depending on size, or well all that I feel comfortable handling. The pigs in a lot of GA are such a problem now some do leave them in the woods though since they are considered a pest. What is really concerning is when farmers get a kill permit for deer that are causing crop damage, many will tell you when you shoot for them kill as many as you can and drag the carcass out of the field. I have caught a lot of flack from a farmer before for only killing 3 deer in a night since that's all I could clean in the summer heat.
    find a local butcher and see if you can make a deal for processing... some of them will process one or two if they get one for themselves
    My only fear is that when I die.... my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So when you kill 20+ hogs at a time, what do you do with them?
    load them up and sell them $50 - $100 a piece. pays for fuel charges and more ammo
    My only fear is that when I die.... my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ddearmon2010 View Post
    load them up and sell them $50 - $100 a piece. pays for fuel charges and more ammo
    So Hogs are only worth 50-100 a piece? I would have guessed they would be worth more for the meat. Then again, seems like there is a serious hog problem in the south. I will assist in anyway I can... starting with eating more bacon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To each their own, but I'd take deer (or any other wild game) over beef any day. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt pigs, I love me some wild hog, but there aren't any around here in SW VA. You would think w/ the population they have in NC they would have made their way over here by now, but not yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    To each their own, but I'd take deer (or any other wild game) over beef any day. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt pigs, I love me some wild hog, but there aren't any around here in SW VA. You would think w/ the population they have in NC they would have made their way over here by now, but not yet.
    That's surprising. They are in southern WV.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So Hogs are only worth 50-100 a piece? I would have guessed they would be worth more for the meat. Then again, seems like there is a serious hog problem in the south. I will assist in anyway I can... starting with eating more bacon.
    Wild game don't cost much, not FDA approved and all. Also if you buy instead of kill you're probly gonna have to pay a butcher as well driving up the cost. Only certain processors are " suppose " to handle wild hogs due to the disease they can possibly carry as well making it a pain sometimes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    That's surprising. They are in southern WV.
    I know, we are virtually surrounded by areas that have wild hogs, but none here. They are reported as not being established in our area by DGIF(dept. game and inland fisheries) and have never heard of anyone killing any. You would think w/ similar ecosystems to southern WV and western NC they would be here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    I know, we are virtually surrounded by areas that have wild hogs, but none here. They are reported as not being established in our area by DGIF(dept. game and inland fisheries) and have never heard of anyone killing any. You would think w/ similar ecosystems to southern WV and western NC they would be here.
    Ha! DGIF reports a lot of things. Been dealing with them for years about the snakeheads.