Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I know, most times dgif is talkin out their collective asses. They also say no mountain kitties here either...tell that to my high school age self that got ran off a mountain by one while turkey hunting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I would like get some bacon, but I currently don't have a hog issue here on the farm. We do have a lot of deer but I don't eat venison.
    Venison is excellent. And much healthier for you than beef. But only if prepaid properly. So many times it is not prepared properly. The biggest thing I have seen when improperly prepared is over cooking. So many folks think you need to cook it to death for a second time. That's simple not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdog View Post
    Venison is excellent. And much healthier for you than beef. But only if prepaid properly. So many times it is not prepared properly. The biggest thing I have seen when improperly prepared is over cooking. So many folks think you need to cook it to death for a second time. That's simple not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true; my most simple and easiest routine is the crock pot with a bit of water and whatever liquid you want to help flavor it plus some seasoning. Many ways to do it, but by far the easiest route for some tender eats, and very helpful when you get that tough meat you run into on occasion. Just did this recently with a small shoulder that I was given, and turned out pretty good. Thinking about next time trying a decent beer in place of water, see how it turns out; maybe as a stew type of dish w/ some potatoes and veg.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was under the impression the wild hogs that most people killed were not eaten due to parasites or something along those lines. I don't know much about hogs being a problem but I know in my area coyotes are a huge problem and are destroying our deer...over half our fawn mortality is from Yotes. They are shoot on sight no permit pests and you can get DNR permission to night hunt them

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I was under the impression the wild hogs that most people killed were not eaten due to parasites or something along those lines. I don't know much about hogs being a problem but I know in my area coyotes are a huge problem and are destroying our deer...over half our fawn mortality is from Yotes. They are shoot on sight no permit pests and you can get DNR permission to night hunt them
    I had it plenty of times when I was living in FL and had no issues. I'm not one to be quoted regarding the risks or if it's needed, but I've been told to cook it thoroughly, obviously without killing it 2x, and it is a no issue. I'm sure there is some credence to them carrying more pests, bacteria, etc. when compared to other wild game due to their habits and environment as hogs, but treating any meat properly should negate that.