Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wanted: Actual OAL of Handguards

I'm one of the few motards that purchased the Surefire FA762SS, and for those that don't know it's a recant design which means when all is said and done it needs to overlaps the barrel by 2.75" in order to be usable. This has created an issue for me when it comes to dealing with handguard lengths in relation to barrel length since I do multi-task the can and actually use the QD. I primarily use my rifles for precision long range shooting and have grown attached to having handguards as long as possible. I want to keep with that aesthetic with my latest build now that we have the right finally to use suppressors and SBRs here in WA, and I'm wrapping up a nice little 10.5" 300BO. After mounting the brake I have just shy of 7.76" of clearance for a handguard. I need to know ACTUAL lengths of certain handguards since I know many claim 7" but in reality they're usually a little over or under. Not everything is in-stock over at Rainier to measure up, and it's also over 3 hours round trip for me. If anyone is willing and has the handguard below would you mind please measuring the actual OAL and posting it up?

Noveske NSR 7"
    Seekins MCSR 7
    SLR Intrepid 7"
    SLR Intrepid 8" (I've seen rails actually < advertised length, so maybe I'd get lucky lol)
    Phase 5 Tactical Slope Nose 7.5" (I'd also love to hear a review about this handguard other than an industry news piece)
    KAC URX III 8.0

List of confirmed Handguard Lengths

Aero Precision M4E1 7 = 7.25"
    BCM KMR 10 = 10.25-10.5"
    Centurion Arms C4 7.0 = 7.25"
    Centurion C4 12" = 12-5/8"
    Centurion Arms 5.56 CMR 14" = 13.688"
    DD Lite Rail II 7.0 = 7.25"
    DD Omega X 12.0 = 12.875"
    Fortis REV 7 = 7.25"
    Geissele Mk4 Mod 1 9.5" Rev B = 9.5"
    Geissele Mk4 Mod 1 13" = 13"
    Knights Armament URX 3.1 13.5 = 13.5"
    Mega Arms 2-piece MKM AR-15 Keymod Mid Length = 9.25"
    Mega Arms 2-piece MKM AR-15 Keymod Extended Rifle Length = 14.625"
    MI SS 2-Piece Carbine length = 7"
    MI SS G2 7" = 7.25"
    MI SSK 10" = 10.5"
    MI SS G2 12" = 12.625"
    MI 308 SS 15" = 15"
    Parallax Tactical M-lok FFSSR - 13.5"
    Parallax MLOK 15" = 15"
    Rainier Arms 9" FORCE = 9.2"
    Rainier Force gen1 12" = 12.5"
    Rainier Force gen1 15" = 15" (about 14 31/32, as close as you can get to 15")
    Seekins BAR 12" = 12.5"
    SLR M-lok Solo Lite 10 = 10"
    SLR M-Lok Solo Lite 12 =12-3/16"
    SLR M-Lok Solo Lite 14 = 14"
    Last edited by Ordnance; 16 December 2014 at 09:05.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish I had these short rails to help you out. This is a good thread though as most rails are not the actual advertised lengths.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not have any of the specific rails you mentioned, but I do have an SLR rail that was advertised as 14"... your post made me curious so I put a tape measure on it... and it was exactly 14". If you include the little anti rotation tabs its a smidgin over... but the rail itself from where it mates with the receiver to the tip was dead on.

I know it's not the specific rails you were asking about but if they did mine exactly on 14"... you just never know. I do know this though, their customer service is out of this world...if you order one and it doesn't work... I am sure they will fix you right up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I do not have any of the specific rails you mentioned, but I do have an SLR rail that was advertised as 14"... your post made me curious so I put a tape measure on it... and it was exactly 14". If you include the little anti rotation tabs its a smidgin over... but the rail itself from where it mates with the receiver to the tip was dead on.

I know it's not the specific rails you were asking about but if they did mine exactly on 14"... you just never know. I do know this though, their customer service is out of this world...if you order one and it doesn't work... I am sure they will fix you right up.
    I think it would be a good idea to post up other handguards as well since as UW said there are many out there. I know that most will likely be close to what's advertised. Can you tell me which model SLR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to post up other handguards as well since as UW said there are many out there. I know that most will likely be close to what's advertised. Can you tell me which model SLR?
    Here is the exact one that I have on my rifle. 14" Solo Lite M-Lok

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=113

On a side note I can highly recommend SLR... in my two year hunt for parts while I was AR planning I have held and handled numerous rails and parts making my mental list and SLR are fantastic. I think you will be pleased should you choose to go their direction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the exact one that I have on my rifle. 14" Solo Lite M-Lok

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...product_id=113

On a side note I can highly recommend SLR... in my two year hunt for parts while I was AR planning I have held and handled numerous rails and parts making my mental list and SLR are fantastic. I think you will be pleased should you choose to go their direction.
    I like the design of the Solo series, but it would leave 3/4" of exposed barrel which I'm not a fan of since I'm already on the shorter side for the handguard. I want to really maximize it as far out as possible without overlapping the QD. I'm leaning heavily towards that Phase 5 slope nose, but I'm apprehensive since I've seen most of the others and had some good recommendations from other people on the few I haven't held in person like SLR, but nobody I know has so much as held the Phase 5. I've used their EBR and their Revo before which I think are great products, but I'm not a fan of basing something off of other products anymore since I know some companies that make great gear in one are and when they branch into others they fall short.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the design of the Solo series, but it would leave 3/4" of exposed barrel which I'm not a fan of since I'm already on the shorter side for the handguard. I want to really maximize it as far out as possible without overlapping the QD. I'm leaning heavily towards that Phase 5 slope nose, but I'm apprehensive since I've seen most of the others and had some good recommendations from other people on the few I haven't held in person like SLR, but nobody I know has so much as held the Phase 5. I've used their EBR and their Revo before which I think are great products, but I'm not a fan of basing something off of other products anymore since I know some companies that make great gear in one are and when they branch into others they fall short.
    If possible would you be opposed to having a longer handguard and recessing the suppressor actually slightly inside of it? Are you planning on keeping the suppressor on always? I've seen numerous SBRs and other rifles that the suppression devices are actually mounted inside of the rail.

EDIT:

I found this:

Last edited by alamo5000; 16 November 2014 at 13:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am just blowing smoke but I see how that attaches and it might be pain in the arse... that said I was thinking something like this...

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/rifl...v3-config.html

At least style wise.

If you are going to keep the suppressor on the rifle then it could work.

You could also build a second upper... and have this one dedicated... but who knows. With that detachment style I see what you mean.

In the mean time you have the Seekins BAR 9" rail that might work.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/part...nd-guards.html

The suppressor you have has a 1.5" diameter, and the BAR handguard has a 1.8" inside diameter. It could work out. It would be a tight fit but it would work I think.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 November 2014 at 13:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With that 9" seekins, here is what I have found using the specs on the products you are talking about.

You said your barrel is 10.5"
    The muzzle device/flash hider is 4.19"

Added together your length will be 14.69"

Subtract 2.75" and you have 11.94"

With a 9" rail that leaves you 2.94" to play with, and if you go with the 10" version that leaves you with 1.94" to play with. I think with that rail you could even get away with the 12" version.

Even if it's not exact, I think it would work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not going to keep the suppressor on all the time. I paid good money for a Surefire and dammit I'm going to take full advantage of the QD lmao. If I was going to keep it on permanently I would have kept the 9" AAC that I had on a phenomenal deal with a 9" Seekins MCSR on it.
    Last edited by Ordnance; 16 November 2014 at 14:14. Reason: retarded tablet and lack of caffeine

Downloads
    Uploads
    With that 9" seekins, here is what I have found using the specs on the products you are talking about.

You said your barrel is 10.5"
    The muzzle device/flash hider is 4.19"

Added together your length will be 14.69"

Subtract 2.75" and you have 11.94"

With a 9" rail that leaves you 2.94" to play with, and if you go with the 10" version that leaves you with 1.94" to play with. I think with that rail you could even get away with the 12" version.

Even if it's not exact, I think it would work.
    That's not how it works. The muzzle adapter when mounted overlaps the barrel by 2.5" with another .25" needed to attach the suppressor. It's a recant design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not going to keep the suppressor on all the time. I paid good money for a Surefire and dammit I'm going to take full advantage of the QD lmao. If I was going to keep it on permanently I would have kept the 9" AAC that I had on a phenomenal deal with a 9" Seekins MCSR on it.
    I think with the Seekins BAR that have the larger diameter inside it will give you .3" inches to play with even if it is slightly recessed.... but with the 9" one you won't be recessed at all. Nor with the 10" one from what I can tell.

Maybe I am off the mark. I assume you have to use their muzzle device with that suppressor....but I could be wrong on all counts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's not how it works. The muzzle adapter when mounted overlaps the barrel by 2.5" with another .25" needed to attach the suppressor. It's a recant design.
    So the 2.75" that you mentioned above is not from the end of that long muzzle brake?

Downloads
    Uploads
    You also don't just add the length of the barrel with the length of the muzzle device to give you a total length, since they thread into each other. You lose about half an inch.

Looks like you should have just purchased a SOCOM can, I never did see too many guys running the 762SS Cans.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You also don't just add the length of the barrel with the length of the muzzle device to give you a total length, since they thread into each other. You lose about half an inch.
    Good point...but even if you do lose 1/2 on the OAL of the barrel+ muzzle do you think a 9" rail with a larger inside diameter will work? Seekins has them, as does Spikes...

I have never used either but it's worth it to brain storm if it helps solve a problem.

Edit:

Check out the second to the last post....

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-Compatibility

The inner diameter of the Seekins rails are 1.8 according to them.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 November 2014 at 14:45.