Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You also don't just add the length of the barrel with the length of the muzzle device to give you a total length, since they thread into each other. You lose about half an inch.

Looks like you should have just purchased a SOCOM can, I never did see too many guys running the 762SS Cans.
    The SOCOM wasn't even announced until after I had the can. And as much as I like it, unless you strictly run it on a semi or full-auto platform it would not be my first choice because of the way it's designed. The SOCOM is obnoxiously loud on bolt guns compared to the Legacy lines. In retrospect I would rather have the RE762K or a Thunderbeast. Besides... being different means I get to spend more time researching and playing with new products to try and make it work...

Add: You don't lose another 1/2" on the SF brake for this model for the threads. The way it's designed it does only overlap by 2.5" from crown to the back of the brake and then another .25" for the back of the Suppressor QD section.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    The SOCOM wasn't even announced until after I had the can. And as much as I like it, unless you strictly run it on a semi or full-auto platform it would not be my first choice because of the way it's designed. The SOCOM is obnoxiously loud on bolt guns compared to the Legacy lines. In retrospect I would rather have the RE762K or a Thunderbeast. Besides... being different means I get to spend more time researching and playing with new products to try and make it work...

Add: You don't lose another 1/2" on the SF brake for this model for the threads. The way it's designed it does only overlap by 2.5" from crown to the back of the brake and then another .25" for the back of the Suppressor QD section.
    I have 2 SOCOM cans and a Legacy Can. They all suck in my opinion. Surefire makes some of the most overrated Cans on the market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any excuse to take pictures and play with guns... lol...

You can't see it from the angle, but the brake sits at 8"

The best I could do trying to get an image of the crown inside the brake. I have a basic camera, nothing fancy for lenses, and I don't know any of the tricks you guys got, so take it for what it is lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man, that doesn't look easy to find the right handguard for that setup, which is why these are made for SPR type guns.

Good luck, keep us posted on how that turns out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I have 2 SOCOM cans and a Legacy Can. They all suck in my opinion. Surefire makes some of the most overrated Cans on the market.
    Somewhere a mall ninja just died... lol. I got mine on a really good deal. If I were to look at a can today it would be Thunderbeast, Mack Bros, or the SilencerCo Harvester.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any excuse to take pictures and play with guns... lol...

You can't see it from the angle, but the brake sits at 8"

Would you mind putting up one more shot of the suppressor attached (with the tape measure there too?) Same shot only with suppressor....

Edit: Also one showing the suppressor end with the button open? Can you measure it? (Diameter+ open button)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Would you mind putting up one more shot of the suppressor attached (with the tape measure there too?) Same shot only with suppressor....

Edit: Also one showing the suppressor end with the button open? Can you measure it? (Diameter+ open button)
    The diameter including the button is .61, but it's irrelevant because I don't want to cover the QD at all. You need 180deg of rotation in order to take it on/off, and since it's an SBR I want to be able to secure it as tight as possible otherwise you'll get POI shift.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The diameter including the button is .61, but it's irrelevant because I don't want to cover the QD at all. You need 180deg of rotation in order to take it on/off, and since it's an SBR I want to be able to secure it as tight as possible otherwise you'll get POI shift.

If we can find you an 8" oversize rail with a 1.8" inner diameter that would work. It might overlap a fraction, like 1/8 of an inch... Other than that lets look for you a 7.5" rail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.primaryarms.com/Troy_7_2_...l1-72bt-01.htm

Daniel Defense also makes a 7.5" from what I can tell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen those but I'm not interested in that style. I want to try and keep it keymod if possible...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If we can find you an 8" oversize rail with a 1.8" inner diameter that would work. It might overlap a fraction, like 1/8 of an inch... Other than that lets look for you a 7.5" rail.
    If it overlaps it at all it will be hard to tighten down. that QD section looks wider than it is. You really want to be able to grip the entire section.

Add: I have looked at the guards with an ID larger enough to fit, but they're all 9" or more. There are very few manufacturers doing 8" other than lopro designs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it overlaps it at all it will be hard to tighten down. that QD section looks wider than it is. You really want to be able to grip the entire section.

Add: I have looked at the guards with an ID larger enough to fit, but they're all 9" or more. There are very few manufacturers doing 8" other than lopro designs.
    Have you given thought to swapping for a slightly longer barrel? You will make your life a lot easier. Either that or have a qualified gunsmith cut down the barrel (if it's legal) and then pin the brake on. I don't know the laws where you are.

But that might make your life easier. By a lot. It's not my gun or my money but for what you want to do I might opt for a 12" or 12.5" barrel and find a good rail match and call it a day.

But that 8" SLR intrepid is out as an option as it stands.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 16 November 2014 at 15:49.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it's not on your list, but my Midwest Industries handguard on my pistol is exactly 7" long. My 12" MI rail on another upper is exactly the advertised 12.625" long. I mention that to indicate their rail lengths seem to be accurately listed on their website.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a legal SBR that I can do whatever on, but I don't want to go any longer than the 10.5 or it defeats the purpose IMO of an SBR. I know a few good smiths but getting a good cut, crown, and thread job would cost more than it's worth. I'm just gonna get measurements on what's out there and then decide.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I know it's not on your list, but my Midwest Industries handguard on my pistol is exactly 7" long. My 12" MI rail on another upper is exactly the advertised 12.625" long. I mention that to indicate their rail lengths seem to be accurately listed on their website.

I had the MI before on a previous build and I did consider it, but price wise I can get Fortis cheaper if I want to go that route and the Fortis Rev is 7.3" according to Rainier Arms. I guess I was hoping some of the rails I looked at might be longer than advertised and get me closer. If anything though this thread will help others hopefully also.

Add: What model is your 12" MI rail?
    Last edited by Ordnance; 16 November 2014 at 16:36.