Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All very good points. I never dug that much into the drama in the industry. I had done some searching and I thought the Larue should be plenty good enough. Mainly because I wasn't expecting to shoot 100yds.

My impression was most 3gun max is only 200yds? Thats why I settled on the 16". Wont a longer barrel just give me a bit more velocity, not accuracy?

Oh, and so I am not a complete douche bag. Here is a pic of both.

The top is the one I built for me. Both have Spike's Zombie lowers, Noveske stainless 16", ALQ QMS triggers, JP yellow springs, BAD ambi safeties, KNS pins. Hers is built on a Aero Precision upper, Rainier Arms NiB BCG. Mine has an American Spirit arms side charging upper (Their anodizing SUCKS!) and BC with the Noveske bolt. She has the magpul MOE stock and grips. I have the STR with a Hogue grip (I like the thickness, but not the length to my thumb well). Seekins bolt release on her, it wont fit the ASA upper on mine. JP modular handguard on hers, YHM smooth on mine. 2A Armament T3 titanium brake on mine, Ares Armor Effin-A on hers.

I actually like her build more than mine. Its super light. The YHM handguards are pretty heavy, not too happy with them. I will eventually get some decent keymod type. I don't need the storage of the stock either, but I have no complaints. If I EVER learn how to shoot, I might put some better triggers on them. The ASA upper I am really disappointed in. The function is great. No need to take your eye off the optic if you got a problem. But their anodizing is junk, and the tolerances are poor. You can see where the gas key has contacted a little in that open section of the uppers, and 2 long lines of the anodizing worn through where the BCG rides.

I got 2 more lowers and 2 FN CHF chromed barrels in the safe, will slowly build them up for my daughters. Only 3 and 6 right now. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Are you saying you can't get a good cheek weld on the AR?
    No on the Rem700 with the Larue mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Same scope on 2 different rifles and both shooting 4 MOA? Larue is not as magic as you think. Too many people ignore key components based upon a false belief that something is infallible...
    I'm thinking you are right about this.
    Last edited by Aberration79; 17 November 2014 at 10:06.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    All very good points. I never dug that much into the drama in the industry. I had done some searching and I thought the Larue should be plenty good enough. Mainly because I wasn't expecting to shoot 100yds.

My impression was most 3gun max is only 200yds? Thats why I settled on the 16". Wont a longer barrel just give me a bit more velocity, not accuracy?

Oh, and so I am not a complete douche bag. Here is a pic of both.

The top is the one I built for me. Both have Spike's Zombie lowers, Noveske stainless 16", ALQ QMS triggers, JP yellow springs, BAD ambi safeties, KNS pins. Hers is built on a Aero Precision upper, Rainier Arms NiB BCG. Mine has an American Spirit arms side charging upper (Their anodizing SUCKS!) and BC with the Noveske bolt. She has the magpul MOE stock and grips. I have the STR with a Hogue grip (I like the thickness, but not the length to my thumb well). Seekins bolt release on her, it wont fit the ASA upper on mine. JP modular handguard on hers, YHM smooth on mine. 2A Armament T3 titanium brake on mine, Ares Armor Effin-A on hers.

I actually like her build more than mine. Its super light. The YHM handguards are pretty heavy, not too happy with them. I will eventually get some decent keymod type. I don't need the storage of the stock either, but I have no complaints. If I EVER learn how to shoot, I might put some better triggers on them. The ASA upper I am really disappointed in. The function is great. No need to take your eye off the optic if you got a problem. But their anodizing is junk, and the tolerances are poor. You can see where the gas key has contacted a little in that open section of the uppers, and 2 long lines of the anodizing worn through where the BCG rides.

I got 2 more lowers and 2 FN CHF chromed barrels in the safe, will slowly build them up for my daughters. Only 3 and 6 right now. :D

No on the Rem700 with the Larue mount.

I'm thinking you are right about this.
    Velocity is a good thing. In this case you'd have a higher velocity which means a slightly flatter trajectory and a greater margin for error. Some comps will go >300yds. I mostly wanted to see it mounted to make sure you weren't placing it anywhere in front of the barrel nut and possible affecting the harmonics. I also wouldn't go above a 55gr for 3 Gun. You'll have no problems with a match grade 55gr Berger and you'll get a much higher velocity that will have no issues out to 400-500 in the comps. The heavies are only a benefit if you're having to combat heavy winds, distances >500, or you want more energy for hunting. Keep in mind like everything else having to do with equipment it's all opinions and you have to do what works best for you, not what works best for some other guys especially since they could just be following the herd.

Triggers... When you learn how to shoot better? Lol.. Dude... IMO the 3 most important things to achieve the best accuracy in a semi-auto are the barrel, the shooter, and the trigger. Trigger follow through is extremely important with an AR and although sure you can shoot well with a crappy trigger it means with a great trigger you can shoot even better. Heavy is also not a bad thing contrary to popular belief. Heavier means less recoil for better tracking, AND I can create more stable shooting positions. Every person who thinks they need the lightest gun out there because they don't want to "Hump around a heavy rifle" needs to do this thing called exercise.

Your gas key is making contact on the top of the receiver? Is the metal wear producing metal shavings? I hate to ask again but can you get pics?

And no one thinks you're a douche or even close. I know you can't drop on a dime and get them just because someone on the internet asks for them. I only want to see them to see if there was something obvious to try and help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry, was in Kentucky. But daddy has an interview for a local job TODAY! Man I hope I land it.

I only meant douche because its a custom build forum, and I hadn't provided any pics or information in the build :D I know when ever I see a new thread I want to see the rifle.

And sorry I meant the CAM PIN! I can't tell if the wear is causing metal shaving, but with finish worn down completely in some areas I don't see how steel on aluminum COULDN'T produce metal shavings. American Spirit Arms is going to take a look at it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you buy a box of Federal GMM 69 or 77 gr to try? Mk262 isn't match ammo... it's made by a company who can't do much of anything very well except use good bullets.

Eliminating the ammo as the problem will be nice. Although... if you can get a damned 77 gr SMK to spit out the barrel, it's hard to make it shoot 4 moa. And forget bullet seating depth. SMKs are tangent ogive and are absolutely NOT depth sensitive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    at least try some PMC bronze. My 18" AR shoots pretty good groups with that as plinking ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, new development. Astigmatism. I thought my RDS was junk... The dot look like a crooked smiley face. Through the BUIS rear peep, its clear. So with that someone has suggest that the scopes reticle can appear to shift what astigmatism as I try to focus?

They suggested this. http://www.eyepalusa.com/eyepal_whose_using.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not an optometrist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. LOL

On a serious note I have a few friends who are optometrists. One is in the Army and is finishing his medical training. I can run it by him and see what he offers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So I FINALLY managed to get up to the range. The Nikon scope was a loaner from my Rem 700, so I finally decided to try out one of the Primary Arms 1-6x. I must say I am extremely pleased with the scope. The center dot at 50yds matched the bulls eye on the targets. And at 100yds its was pretty easy to center it up into the lighter green of the square.

I also ordered a bunch of match ammo. I zero'd the scope at 50yds with the cheap ammo I had. Here is the first 5rnd group at 100 yds using Hornady 75gr Superformance Match. Now that is more like it. I also shot Colt 77gr Match, Winchester 55gr 3 Gun, Winchester 77gr. The Colt shot just as good, but I didn't pull one so badly. The Winchester was just as bad as everything else I had short before. The Winchester 77gr was also crimped so tightly the bullets were all buckled in.

So from here its obvious I need to work on developing a load that is close to the Hornady or Colt. Anyone know what powder they use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    Seekins bolt release on her, it wont fit the ASA upper on mine. JP modular handguard on hers, YHM smooth on mine. 2A Armament T3 titanium brake on mine, Ares Armor Effin-A on hers.
    How do you two like the Effin -A?