Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I thought you were researching Nitrocarberized barrels. They make some great barrels. Heres the one I used on my last build: https://specialopstactical.com/produ...idlength-copy/
    I was learning about barrels in general... someone brought up Nitrocarberized and I thought it could be an awesome idea... it's not the whole point of the thread but I definitely learned something new.

For now, if I get 10,000 rounds out of this barrel I have.... I have 9,950 rounds to go...so I am just learning about stuff for my own knowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I know the feeling brother. But if your shooting distance that's not a bad problem.
    The purpose of my AR build was to have a 100 yard relatively accurate gun... with an occasional 200 yard leg stretcher. 99% of my shooting will be within that range. As of right now I get 1" @100 yards...which is sufficient for a general purpose gun. (using off the shelf ammo...not match ammo)

For general purpose the scope I have now is a pretty interesting design...if I try to specialize in something though I need something better and definitely with more magnification. I am not opposed to upgrading my optic though, not at all.

My wallet needs to recover first though...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trust me your wallet will just constantly bleed.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Now the question is, how many rounds down range can a standard M16 barrel get before it's shot out?
    It depends.

You can say "10,000" is the average but it may be 3,000, it may be 20,000. It depends on the firing schedule How long did it take to run the rounds through, 6 hours or six years? What type of ammo? Brass cased and copper jacketed? Steel/moly? Mild or hot handloads?

With all my "precision" rifles, I keep an accurate shooting log. I can tell you exactly when, what load, and how many of each rounds I have shot through the pipe on each of them. Like you mentioned in a previous post, a barrel is a wear out item. Shoot it, enjoy shooting it, and when your round count starts getting "up there", buy a new barrel to have on stand by. You also asked if the MOA would increase from, say, 1MOA to 3-4...your pattern may open up but you may get keyholing or some other issue

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    It depends.

You can say "10,000" is the average but it may be 3,000, it may be 20,000. It depends on the firing schedule (how long did it take to run the rounds through, 6 hours or six years? What type of ammo? Brass cased and copper jacketed? Steel/moly? Mild or hot handloads?

With all my "precision" rifles, I keep an accurate shooting log. I can tell you exactly when, what load, and how many of each rounds I have shot through the pipe on each of them. Like you mentioned in a previous post, a barrel is a wear out item. Shoot it, enjoy shooting it, and when your round count starts getting "up there", buy a new barrel to have on stand by. You also asked if the MOA would increase from, say, 1MOA to 3-4...your pattern may open up but you may get keyholing or some other issue

For me shooting say 1-2 mags a week on average... and then on special occasions a few times a year a might go through 500 rounds in a day...I don't think for the most part that is considered hard use at all. That is why I went to some length to describe generally what I like to do. I would much rather set up a target or series of targets and go at it, rather than just blasting to make noise. I like to hit what I am shooting at.

I actually do quite a bit of reloading but I have not done it for .223 yet... velocity wise what would you consider mild, medium, and hot?

The rounds I zeroed with the box has a muzzle velocity (with a 24" barrel) at 3240 fps...so just rounding it off say 3200 fps...

Considering that I know my range isn't going to exceed 200 yards in most cases, I might start tinkering with reloads for this caliber...and once I get it tuned up I can use a higher capacity automated loader to make me a 5 gallon bucket full or so... so far every caliber that I own I can (and do) reload for... but I just haven't done so yet for the AR...

I am thinking that if this barrel of mine comes back with a Rockwell Hardness like what Noveske was talking about I could get 10K out of it at least, but who knows.

If I need to buy a new barrel eventually, hey, that's fine. I am just trying to learn about all these dynamics in the mean time.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 17 November 2014 at 20:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh and for the record steel ammo will never get within 5 feet of my rifle. Brass or nothing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    It depends.

You can say "10,000" is the average but it may be 3,000, it may be 20,000. It depends on the firing schedule How long did it take to run the rounds through, 6 hours or six years? What type of ammo? Brass cased and copper jacketed? Steel/moly? Mild or hot handloads?
    One thing for sure though. I am quite confident that we 'debunked' the idea that 'stainless steel barrels need to be replaced after 5000 rounds'... I saw that posted numerous times in numerous places all over the internet.

"Stainless steel" is too broad of a term... and even "416 R stainless" comes in a variety of hardness. The range of properties even there in that one subcategory is so broad that it is impossible to lump even all of those just under that category together under one hat.

Like I said, a generalization... 'myth' busted.

It 'could be' true, but it isn't necessarily 'always true'... and people are making these blanket statements...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of all of this...I missed this one line from Rainier's description....

"Manufacturing proprietary processes creates a stress free product that has a hardened surface on the bore. To improve the wear and longevity"

It looks like they already did some kind of treatment to harden the barrel...It's right there in black and white on Rainier's website....it might already be nitrocarberized or some form of it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now the question is, how many rounds down range can a standard M16 barrel get before it's shot out?
    Depends on what you consider shot out. Groups will start gradually opening up. It wouldn't surprise me to see 20k+ rounds out of a quality barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Depends on what you consider shot out. Groups will start gradually opening up. It wouldn't surprise me to see 20k+ rounds out of a quality barrel.
    What about with my Rainier Arms 16" select medcon? Can I expect something similar from a stainless 416R, hardened barrel? I think you used them before... but I am not 100%.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about with my Rainier Arms 16" select medcon? Can I expect something similar from a stainless 416R, hardened barrel? I think you used them before... but I am not 100%.
    I would expect a Rainier Select Barrel to get 10-12k

I have probably half a dozen or more Select Barreled uppers, one has 9k rounds on it. Still shooting sub-MOA at 100 yards.

On a side note, I ran a torture test Rainier CHF barrel a few years back, has over 10k rounds, and still easily going. In fact, that's with the same mil-spec C158 Bolt. With BCM's filthy 14 surpassing 14k rounds, I have no doubt that barrel specs are much higher than perceived.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would expect a Rainier Select Barrel to get 10-12k

I have probably half a dozen or more Select Barreled uppers, one has 9k rounds on it. Still shooting sub-MOA at 100 yards.

On a side note, I ran a torture test Rainier CHF barrel a few years back, has over 10k rounds, and still easily going. In fact, that's with the same mil-spec C158 Bolt. With BCM's filthy 14 surpassing 14k rounds, I have no doubt that barrel specs are much higher than perceived.
    Thank you. I am more than pleased with my choice. 10-12 is ok. Like I said earlier, its wear out part... but 'how soon' is what was in question...10-12 is a good several years worth of duty with my kind of use.

But as I also said that our collective sharing of information has debunked a lot of myths that are posted up on forums all over the place. Blanket statements about 'stainless steel' in general should be taken with a grain of salt. The devil is in the details.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note, how does one get selected or recruited to participate in said 'torture testing' ?

Sounds like that COULD be a lot of fun...

Downloads
    Uploads

On it. Like white on rice.