Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I never understood if you lived in a free state, why you would pay $150 for a Sig Brace, and not the $200 for a SBR. I get the whole registration thing, but a real stock is so much more functional.
    There are other benefits. In Ohio, I cannot keep a SBR loaded in my vehicle, but I can with an AR pistol and Concealed Handgun License. I am free to take an AR pistol across state lines without notification/permission. A friend/relative doesn't have to be a trustee on a NFA trust to take a pistol to the range without me. ...and as you stated, some just aren't too keen on weapon registration.
    Follow my Facebook page: Chevtec Shooting Solutions, for reviews, how-to guides, and industry news.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevtec View Post
    There are other benefits. In Ohio, I cannot keep a SBR loaded in my vehicle, but I can with an AR pistol and Concealed Handgun License. I am free to take an AR pistol across state lines without notification/permission. A friend/relative doesn't have to be a trustee on a NFA trust to take a pistol to the range without me. ...and as you stated, some just aren't too keen on weapon registration.
    I hear this all the time.

For me, I'm not going to base my firearm decisions around something I might do less than 1% of the time.

I would rarely if ever carry an AR pistol or SBR (if it was legal) loaded in my car. I would rarely if ever drive across state lines with an AR pistol/SBR.

To me, it's like guys who gear their AR SPR/DMR guns around the 1 or 2 times in their entire lives they "might" shoot 800-1000 yards, when 99.99% of their shooting will be within 300 yards.

Your mileage may/will definitely vary on this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never understood if you lived in a free state, why you would pay $150 for a Sig Brace, and not the $200 for a SBR. I get the whole registration thing, but a real stock is so much more functional.
    Well I made a change on my pistol build spreadsheet I sent you earlier. I will say the key factor in me wanting to do a AR pistol vs a SBR isn't the tax stamp paper work, it is the fact that I can use the pistol as a vehicle weapon and not have to worry about all the BS that comes with taking a SBR across state lines when driving to visit family. Now the question is why do I need a AR Pistol when traveling might come up and I will probably ask why not? Will I take it on every trip? Probably not but if I decided to take it I wouldn't have to worry about filing a written request to ask permission to take it and say where I am taking and for what purposes. In all honesty how fast is the turn around on a letter like that, what if it is a spur of the moment trip and I don't have time to file a letter and wait for permission to take my own property I own with me on my trip.

If that did away with that stupid part of owning a SBR/SBS I would own one sooner than later and have no problems filing out the paperwork for a stamp and paying $200 for it.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Well I made a change on my pistol build spreadsheet I sent you earlier. I will say the key factor in me wanting to do a AR pistol vs a SBR isn't the tax stamp paper work, it is the fact that I can use the pistol as a vehicle weapon and not have to worry about all the BS that comes with taking a SBR across state lines when driving to visit family. Now the question is why do I need a AR Pistol when traveling might come up and I will probably ask why not? Will I take it on every trip? Probably not but if I decided to take it I wouldn't have to worry about filing a written request to ask permission to take it and say where I am taking and for what purposes. In all honesty how fast is the turn around on a letter like that, what if it is a spur of the moment trip and I don't have time to file a letter and wait for permission to take my own property I own with me on my trip.

If that did away with that stupid part of owning a SBR/SBS I would own one sooner than later and have no problems filing out the paperwork for a stamp and paying $200 for it.
    From what I read you can file the 5320.20 for up to a year at a time, and it's usually approved within 2 weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know so many people wanted to carry their AR pistols in their car. Seems silly to me, and here's why:

Neighboring states to me don't have CPL reciprocity.

If I leave my car, I'm not leaving any firearms inside it, locked or otherwise.

CCW of an AR pistol would be hard, if not impossible.

I train with my handgun 100x more than an AR pistol, including drawing and reholstering from "regular clothing"

This is coming from a LEO with nationwide CCW... so if I wanted, I could carry my AR pistol anywhere.

In the end for me, it makes no sense, and like I stated previously, I don't buy gear around the less than 1% of the time I might do something with my firearm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me I can understand the pistol vs SBR argument, but have a problem with the Sig brace. When the local shops started carrying them they pushed them on everybody to try. So once I shouldered one it was very apparent that it was not a stock. The Sig brace may look like a stock, but does not feel like one to me. I personally rather shoot a pistol build without the Sig brace.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

One of co-workers always had loaded firearms left in his truck. He also loves stickers. So every time someone who buy a new firearm he would ask for the stickers to put on his truck. This practice resulted in him having park on county property outside of the CLA, and also to replace a wind shield.
    Last edited by GOST; 19 November 2014 at 12:13.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't know so many people wanted to carry their AR pistols in their car. Seems silly to me, and here's why:

Neighboring states to me don't have CPL reciprocity.

CCW of an AR pistol would be hard, if not impossible.

I train with my handgun 100x more than an AR pistol, including drawing and reholstering from "regular clothing"

This is coming from a LEO with nationwide CCW... so if I wanted, I could carry my AR pistol anywhere.

In the end for me, it makes no sense, and like I stated previously, I don't buy gear around the less than 1% of the time I might do something with my firearm.
    I agree. If I'm carrying a gun in my car for defensive purposes it's gonna be a handgun.

My problem is, I DO travel state to state to shoot regularly. My house is literally a half mile inside MD. I can walk to PA in under a minute. I shoot there regularly. All of the better ranges around here are in WV, which I'm 10 minutes from. I shoot there too. It's logistically easier for me to build a pistol. Plus I don't have to pay attention to the 29" rule in md (not that I would build an SBR with shorter than 10.5" barrel)

With that being said, my intentions are to build a SBR, and if I have to file a form for interstate travel yearly, so be it. And if I don't want to, I'll just take my non NFA items across the lines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not tried the Thorsden saddle kit, but it looks more comfortable than the Sig brace.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    My trip from Michigan to Alabama every state I drive through reciprocates. Pretty much anywhere I drive to does. And I am not talking about it being out laying on the seat next to me. Plans will be for a nice carry back (maybe a sling bag) setup. And you are right 99% of the time I will just take the G19 and the wife carries her Shield. But also I am looking to do a lot more backpacking and something that is small and compact and light to carry will make a nice backpacking weapon. Once we get out of Michigan and plant our feet I will SBR a rifle so I dont have to worry about pistol hunting laws and start doing a lot more backpack hunting.

But for now since I do not plan on staying in Michigan I will hold off on a SBR and just do a pistol build. I will most likely get the Thorsden saddle kit instead of the brace.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's bad enough the ATF knows how many suppressors I have but I'm against registering any guns. Some may think that reason is silly but its my reason. No firearm owner does things exactly the same as another, so I don't judge anything anyone else does with their guns (unless it's a three light/two laser bipod vertical foregrip combo...I do judge those things)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kinda glad I did a form 1, no regrets now. I bet you will see a lot of trusts being started and Efile form 1s submitted. Good it's not that scary do some research, ask some questions, $200 bucks isn't that much compared to all the pistols with $300 rails and high end optics. The more mainstream the NFA items become the better. I will pay for a stock on my rifle the Sig brace my brother is rocking costs him almost that much but he didn't believe me. I am shocked at all the misinformation about the NFA process floating around. It's easy and addictive.
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Jeff Cooper

Downloads
    Uploads
    If more people would have just STFU, and used the Brace as they saw fit, it would probably be an non-issue. Too many guys flaunting how this was the new "loophole" and chastising those who were paying to SBR their lowers probably did not help.

Brilliant marketing the last few years by Sig though!

Well said UW
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This has nothing to do with AR15s. The letter clearly says shotgun and using it specifically for a stock.

They just shit the bed on shotguns, that is all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to add. I carry an ar pistol everywhere. totally doable as long as you dont mind walking around with a backpack.