Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

My first AR build

Well, guess since the ball is finally rolling, its time to get a thread started. Finally have enough parts in that I can actually mock up some stuff, and even got my trigger installed. About 99.9% sure its going to be a .300AAC Blackout w/ 16" 1/8 twist barrel. Seems to be a good choice to do general target shooting and also for hunting when looking at price of ammo, round size, etc etc. Although, I'm sure this lower will end up having a couple of uppers to swap to and from eventually, covering multiple calibers.

So, for a main 'in hand' parts list:

Black Forge Upper/Lower Receivers
    ALG Defense EMR M-LOK 13" handguard
    ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger
    ALG Defense Super Gas Block
    Troy Folding Battle Sights set
    Hexmag 30 rd Mags

Planned but not purchased parts:
    MAS .300AAC Blackout Barrel- 16", 1/8 twist
    A2 birdcage flash hider/comp (for now, switch is planned but not fully decided on which option)
    Upper/Lower parts coming from multiple sources: Damage Industries, Will paying it forward, etc.
    Bolt assembly courtesy of Will paying it foward, Carrier currently undecided regarding source of purchase
    Buttstock/Buffer kit from Red Barn until upgrades are made

That generally covers most everything so far, will update as parts arrive and are installed. Ordered a springs, pins, detents, clips kit today from Damage industries, along w/ selector, so should arrive soon and be able to finish lower receiver.

Pics to follow this post showing what I have and what I can mock up so far, along with tools that are currently in hand.
    Last edited by RobSWVA; 22 November 2014 at 16:51.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good - saw the pics on your FB page. I'll have that other stuff in the mail for you this week Rob
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pics of my mock-up so far, will add more as parts come in and are put to use

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Looking good - saw the pics on your FB page. I'll have that other stuff in the mail for you this week Rob
    Thanks Will, really appreciate all you are doing to help out, and by proxy the other guys of the forum that are helping by the pay it forward routine. By the time this is all done, I'm sure I will have some stuff to do the same with and return the favor to someone. Can't wait to get further in this

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lookin sweet so far! Grats on a nice build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost forgot to pass on the word, if anyone is currently working on the upper and lower receivers part of their build, Damage Industries is currently offering the springs/pins/detents/clips kit (for both upper and lower) they have for 29.95 until 12pm Monday if you are interested or in need.

If interested, here is the FB link they just put up while I was typing up this post:

https://www.facebook.com/DamageIndus...if_t=notify_me

Downloads
    Uploads
    It appears you've got a great start to a great build. I'm also impressed that you're buying quality tools for the job at hand. Way to many hacks trying to build a rifle with a claw hammer, nail, pliars and a screwdriver. I'm also impressed that you're going to pin your gas block. I have access to a Bridgeport mill, but that can be tricky to set up, and not screw up and my vision and steady hands are not quite what they used to be, and a bud helps me out, when things get hairy, but I'm assuming you've got machining skills. If not you've got big cajones.

So, it appears that when your finished, you're going to have one ass kicking rifle. Good for you.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm extremely impressed with this as well. You never know what you expect when you read "first build" in the title, but I was not disappointed. One of these Geissele hand guards are on the list of mods for my next rifle.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    It appears you've got a great start to a great build. I'm also impressed that you're buying quality tools for the job at hand. Way to many hacks trying to build a rifle with a claw hammer, nail, pliars and a screwdriver. I'm also impressed that you're going to pin your gas block. I have access to a Bridgeport mill, but that can be tricky to set up, and not screw up and my vision and steady hands are not quite what they used to be, and a bud helps me out, when things get hairy, but I'm assuming you've got machining skills. If not you've got big cajones.

So, it appears that when your finished, you're going to have one ass kicking rifle. Good for you.
    I actually got lucky in the last Gunstruction contest and placed 4th, so alot of what you see was part of the prize pack, including the tools. I'm very thankful for having them; I know you can 'make due' with what you have around you if it comes down to it, but still happy to have the proper tools to avoid any moments of self hate and listing of four letter words, lol. As you stated, this is my first build, so not completely up to par w/ what pinning the gas block entails regarding milling and stuff like that. If it's over my head, I'll either have someone competent do it for me or just go with another option regarding the gas block. That was another part of the prize I received, so definitely not going to go into it thinking I'm supersmith when I'm new to the scene. Guess I'll just have to roll with it and make smart decisions regarding deciding if steps are something I can handle or handing it off to someone w/ some skill to do it for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    I'm extremely impressed with this as well. You never know what you expect when you read "first build" in the title, but I was not disappointed. One of these Geissele hand guards are on the list of mods for my next rifle.
    Yeah, since I got my hands on it I've been very happy to have received it. Mocking up my parts made me even happier with it, as it fits very nicely with what I had in my head prior to getting it. It was also very good timing when I did get it, as it seems that the M-LOK system is really exploding now regarding modular options. Had heard very little about it prior getting the ALG handguard, but that may have just been my lack of keeping up w/ newer products. Seemed that the big thing was keyhole when I first received it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    Pics of my mock-up so far, will add more as parts come in and are put to use

man that is going to look sweet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSWVA View Post
    I actually got lucky in the last Gunstruction contest and placed 4th, so alot of what you see was part of the prize pack, including the tools. I'm very thankful for having them; I know you can 'make due' with what you have around you if it comes down to it, but still happy to have the proper tools to avoid any moments of self hate and listing of four letter words, lol. As you stated, this is my first build, so not completely up to par w/ what pinning the gas block entails regarding milling and stuff like that. If it's over my head, I'll either have someone competent do it for me or just go with another option regarding the gas block. That was another part of the prize I received, so definitely not going to go into it thinking I'm supersmith when I'm new to the scene. Guess I'll just have to roll with it and make smart decisions regarding deciding if steps are something I can handle or handing it off to someone w/ some skill to do it for me
    Yes, pinning that gas block will require some machining on the barrel, and a jig, store bought or homemade so you'll need to get it to a very competent armorer who has a milling machine. There are several companies around that this would be a "no brainer" for, and you can probably get info on who to get to do it, it's a bit tricky to as a DIY project, and yes you will need machining skills.
    But like I said, there are a bunch of companies who do this, and it's not that expensive. You've got too good of a start to try to shave a few bucks off now. However, with your gas block, you can install it without pinning it. Still, I'd want to dimple the barrel with a milling machine, vs. a drill press, as that mill will not let the drill walk, if you do it with a drill press.

That's the one step, if I were you, that I'd let a pro do. You can learn that stuff down the road.

Anyway, it looks like you're good 2 go, and won some pretty nice damn stuff to start you off with. Take your time and do it right, and try not to smile too much when you go to the range and all your buds are drooling out of both sides of their mouths.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Yes, pinning that gas block will require some machining on the barrel, and a jig, store bought or homemade so you'll need to get it to a very competent armorer who has a milling machine. There are several around that this would be a "no brainer" for, and you can probably get info on who to get to do it, it's a bit tricky to as a DIY project, and yes you will need machining skills.
    But like I said, there are a bunch of companies who do this, and it's not that expensive. You've got too good of a start to try to shave a few bucks off now. However, with your gas block, you can install it without pinning it. Still, I'd want to dimple the barrel with a milling machine, vs. a drill press, as that mill will not let the drill walk, if you do it with a drill press.

That's the one step, if I were you, that I'd let a pro do. You can learn that stuff down the road.

Anyway, it looks like you're good 2 go, and won some pretty nice damn stuff to start you off with. Take your time and do it right, and try not to smile too much when you go to the range and all your buds are drooling out of both sides of their mouths.
    lol, yeh after reading the included info w/ the gas block and touching on a couple of youtube videos, it is definitely something that I will hand off to a competent person to help with. I'm sure the gun shop in town will either have someone there that can handle it, or direct me to their go to guy for help. I'm sure that getting this done wouldn't be a wallet breaker for a competent smith, so you are correct. I'm definitely not going to wing it and turn this gun into a turd in the process. I know when I'm out of my element, and the gas block is one of those times, even just dimpling the barrel. One video I watched just to get an idea of what is involved, the guy did the drilling completely dry the entire time. I have no machining exp whatsoever, but that just seems stupid to me, but what do I know. Thanks for the info and tips on how to proceed.
    Last edited by RobSWVA; 22 November 2014 at 20:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on winning the tool set up! I've got that same Armorer's Package and it is definitely a quality group of tools and a huge help when building ARs.