Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Suppressor Choices Help

I went to my local dealer today to purchase a suppressor. I had my eyes set on the AAC 556-SD and when I got there were out. All he had was an M4-2000, which I'm not completely turned off to because my cousin has several and they are good cans. What had turned me on the the SD was mainly the price point. The dealer then started talking to me and was trying to push me towards either the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or perhaps a saker. He also stated that he was trying to avoid AAC due to the mounting system having a history of failures, causing baffle strikes and after such a thing may happen one must send it off to AAC and deal with their less than enjoyable customer service. He went on to mention that three of his employes had those very issues with the AAC cans. That being said I've heard great things about AAC and I'm aware that both AAC and Surefire are some of the leading companies when it comes to cans.

My questions:

1.) Are the Surefire cans worth the extra money? Is the mounting system so rock solid that that alone is worth the extra money?

2.) do I go with the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or being that the can, for now, will reside on a 556 rifle do I avoid the 762 all together and get a 556 can.

3.) is the 762-mini hearing safe on SBR's (in 223/556) on say 10.5" barrels and up?

4.) does any one have experience with either companies customer service? If so how was your experience?

This is all I can think of for now and I appreciate the help. Like I said the can will mainly be on a 556 rifle. Further down the road I plan to build a higher caliber rifle. it might be 308, 300blk or rebuild my 6.5 Grendel is yet to be determined
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you checked out OSS? Supposed to have less blow back and are used on the new HK's.

http://www.oss-online.com/home.html
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quiet riot has 556-sd's for 500 shipped...just a fyi and a few other good deals, tirant 9 for 350 shipped..

have you thought about the ranger 3, which is coming out end of this year a aac rep told me, this is a direct thread 556 can.

other then that i dont have any, but have researched the shit out of them, and for me, right now if i could swing it, the AAc cans are the best bang for your buck, i think at the moment, with the rebate , buys a mount or 2, or whatever

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been recently looking at the Liberty MysticX. My second choice for a rifle can is likely a specwar 7.62 or saker 7.62

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Quiet riot has 556-sd's for 500 shipped...just a fyi and a few other good deals, tirant 9 for 350 shipped..

have you thought about the ranger 3, which is coming out end of this year a aac rep told me, this is a direct thread 556 can.

other then that i dont have any, but have researched the shit out of them, and for me, right now if i could swing it, the AAc cans are the best bang for your buck, i think at the moment, with the rebate , buys a mount or 2, or whatever
    Slightly off topic, Last I heard the Ranger 3 had been completely scrapped and taken off the website.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Slightly off topic, Last I heard the Ranger 3 had been completely scrapped and taken off the website.

Edit, the info i posted may not be correct..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Slightly off topic reply, just found and read the email from nick at AAC from about 2 months ago, and he says the ranger 3 is coming and shipping to vendors by the end of the year..
    LOL... I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not a matter of finding the 556-SD in stock as there is another dealer I trust who has them. Plus I am trying to buy locally to avoid extended wait times and also keep the dollars local, for what ever that's worth. I was just curious if AAC was in fact "behind" on the technologies used in their cans (I imagine when I hear people say this they are referring to the 51T mounting system) I know AAC is a reputable company but if in the long run the Surefire cans are the better investment with a better mounting system etc it might be worth putting up the extra cash.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The OSS does seem interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i gave bing eye balling this one its a 5.56 can
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-5-56mm-phantom-qd/

and this one is a .30cal
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm...-62mm-phantom/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    I went to my local dealer today to purchase a suppressor. I had my eyes set on the AAC 556-SD and when I got there were out. All he had was an M4-2000, which I'm not completely turned off to because my cousin has several and they are good cans. What had turned me on the the SD was mainly the price point. The dealer then started talking to me and was trying to push me towards either the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or perhaps a saker. He also stated that he was trying to avoid AAC due to the mounting system having a history of failures, causing baffle strikes and after such a thing may happen one must send it off to AAC and deal with their less than enjoyable customer service. He went on to mention that three of his employes had those very issues with the AAC cans. That being said I've heard great things about AAC and I'm aware that both AAC and Surefire are some of the leading companies when it comes to cans.

My questions:

1.) Are the Surefire cans worth the extra money? Is the mounting system so rock solid that that alone is worth the extra money?

2.) do I go with the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or being that the can, for now, will reside on a 556 rifle do I avoid the 762 all together and get a 556 can.

3.) is the 762-mini hearing safe on SBR's (in 223/556) on say 10.5" barrels and up?

4.) does any one have experience with either companies customer service? If so how was your experience?

This is all I can think of for now and I appreciate the help. Like I said the can will mainly be on a 556 rifle. Further down the road I plan to build a higher caliber rifle. it might be 308, 300blk or rebuild my 6.5 Grendel is yet to be determined
    1. Debatable. I own the FA762SS. It's nice, but after handling a Thunderbeast I question whether it was worth the coin. If you need a QD though they are 100% gtg. As for the SOCOM's they were designed for more full-auto use than semi and IMO not as quiet as their Legacy lines.

2. If you're getting just one to multipurpose do NOT get the mini. You may want to put it on a bolt action later or a larger caliber.

3. Most normal cans you're getting down to around 130db which some may say is not really "hearing safe". If you're looking for the most sound suppression do NOT do a mini.

4. I've dealt with SF, AAC, and Silencerco. They're all pretty top notch. With Surefire though you may end up with longer wait times because of the sheer volume of business they do.

Lastly... I don't know who your dealer is but I'm not impressed. All his employees own AAC but it's a terrible can? Where are you located in OK? Someone here might be able to recommend a better shop with more choices. Make sure you look at Thunderbeast as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    i gave bing eye balling this one its a 5.56 can
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-5-56mm-phantom-qd/

and this one is a .30cal
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm...-62mm-phantom/
    I would not do YHM or Gemtech if you have the coin to do AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, or Thunderbeast. Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    I would not do YHM or Gemtech if you have the coin to do AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, or Thunderbeast. Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.
    i did see a AAC 762-SD looks interesting

why dont you like the other ones just wondering ??

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toolboxluis00200 View Post
    i did see a AAC 762-SD looks interesting

why dont you like the other ones just wondering ??
    I've seen a lot of POI shift with their products, poor customer service, and less than stellar accuracy. They've underwhelmed me, and I'm more of a buy once cry once person. Also, when you're buying something designed to go on the end of a tool that's firing a projectile at very high speeds through an object with a 6+ month wait and $200 incurred cost... I'd rather go for a little more quality and backing. I also like the brake adapters associated with the other recommended vendors better. I will say this for Surefire though... Their QD mounting system is the tits and their brakes work great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    I've seen a lot of POI shift with their products, poor customer service, and less than stellar accuracy. They've underwhelmed me, and I'm more of a buy once cry once person. Also, when you're buying something designed to go on the end of a tool that's firing a projectile at very high speeds through an object with a 6+ month wait and $200 incurred cost... I'd rather go for a little more quality and backing. I also like the brake adapters associated with the other recommended vendors better. I will say this for Surefire though... Their QD mounting system is the tits and their brakes work great.
    thank you for the info