Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).
This is why I went with a SOCOM MINI for my last can. I currently own several legacy SF suppressors, a couple of various 762 SOCOM cans (mini and fullsize), as well. The 556 SOCOM MINI is by FAR! my favorite.
Backpressure is noticeably less than my -212 legacy cans, and while I can tell more sound is coming from the muzzle, due to port blast, the Mini is about the same insult to the shooter's ears.

NO suppressor in 5.56 makes the gun hearing safe. Period.

Supersonic bullet flight is 150dB -+ 5.
Nothing can fix that.
Ejection port noise is modified by back-pressure. This is why the AAC SPR-M4 is one of the loudest cans out there to the shooter, and why the Surefire SOCOM MINI and AAC MINI 4 are quieter to the shooter.

Comparing the -212 fullsize to my SOCOM Mini on my 16" gun, the Mini sounded about 15% louder according to bystanders. To me the shooter, it sounded about the same except I could hear more noise going downrange. I did, against medical advice, crack off a few rounds without ear-pro. The insult from the mini was similar to the -212 to my ear as the shooter.

In short, chasing muzzle signature dB's when shooting supersonic ammunition seems pointless to me if you're ignoring ejection port signature to do it.