Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm located in the Norman area. I'm not sure if he meant the cans are terrible or if he was specifically talking about the mounting system. To be honest he's the only one I've heard talk negatively about AAC so I'm kinda taking his comments with a grain of salt. But I figure he must know what he's talking about seeing as how he sells em etc.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ordnance why is the mini a no go for multi cal use?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    Ordnance why is the mini a no go for multi cal use?
    It's not that it's a no go for multi-cal use but that it's not the optimal choice. IMO unless you need a short package because your doing CQ work or need something with a minimal profile for low pro work then you're making unnecessary sacrifices in sound suppression. For instance mini is not going to perform well on a 300WM the way the regular RC will or any full-size can, and it won't be as quiet on any rifle period the way a full size will. It's about having the best tool for many jobs in this instance. Now if you can afford several cans and own SBRs hen it's a whole different story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.
    Very good advice, the decibel increase of using 5.56 in one of these cans is only around 4 decibels.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The OSS does seem interesting.
    I've not got a chance to use an OSS, but is a lot of cool features with their product. Another cool thing about the OSS besides supposedly having less blow back, is that the only part that's serial numbered is the sleeve. So the sleeve is the only part that needs a tax stamp, and can be used over either their 5.56 or 7.62 internals. Their system also adds a lot less length to the rifle.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered a 7.62 Saker recently. Kicking myself for procrastinating on it.

People seem to talk a lot of smack about the 51T ratchet mount on AAC cans not providing a 100% lockup. I've only used two in the past (don't own one) and they seemed pretty solid to me. Like everything, AAC cans used to be state of the art but other companies have made their own improvements on mounting systems, material construction, sleave design, etc. That being said, there are plenty of people with AAC suppressors and they seem to work just fine.

Have you had a chance to look at a company called Dead Air? Don't know if you want to roll the dice with a new company, but their stuff seems interesting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's not that it's a no go for multi-cal use but that it's not the optimal choice. IMO unless you need a short package because your doing CQ work or need something with a minimal profile for low pro work then you're making unnecessary sacrifices in sound suppression. For instance mini is not going to perform well on a 300WM the way the regular RC will or any full-size can, and it won't be as quiet on any rifle period the way a full size will. It's about having the best tool for many jobs in this instance. Now if you can afford several cans and own SBRs hen it's a whole different story.
    That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).
    Just to be clear a mini isn't slightly louder... It's a LOT louder on a bolt. Also, I know too many people who look at the immediate need and end up kicking themselves down the line. SF wouldn't be my first choice. My first choice would be one that most people have never even heard of which is Mack Bros. My next would be Thunderbeast. I'd also watch Templar Tactical because I've seen them put out some impressive stuff lately and I think as they grow it will only get better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to be clear a mini isn't slightly louder... It's a LOT louder on a bolt. Also, I know too many people who look at the immediate need and end up kicking themselves down the line. SF wouldn't be my first choice. My first choice would be one that most people have never even heard of which is Mack Bros. My next would be Thunderbeast. I'd also watch Templar Tactical because I've seen them put out some impressive stuff lately and I think as they grow it will only get better.
    But again, doesn't that go back to Farva's personal "needs?" If he's looking for a one-size-fits-all, quick detach, a mini (versus a standard size) might be what he wants (be it SF, AAC, or whatever).

Out of curiosity, why is it louder on a bolt? Or do you mean it sounds louder since you don't have all the racket that the bolt system makes on an auto-loader? I'm not arguing that it isn't, just curious about the "why."

Downloads
    Uploads
    But again, doesn't that go back to Farva's personal "needs?" If he's looking for a one-size-fits-all, quick detach, a mini (versus a standard size) might be what he wants (be it SF, AAC, or whatever).

Out of curiosity, why is it louder on a bolt? Or do you mean it sounds louder since you don't have all the racket that the bolt system makes on an auto-loader? I'm not arguing that it isn't, just curious about the "why."
    He already stated in his personal needs he plans to eventually use it on a higher caliber and that his comparison involved several full-size cans with one mini. I never said it was the answer to everything, and you keep wanting to come back with the same response because you're not acknowledging what I've said several times now in regards to future use and overall function. Mini's were designed for semi-autos in order to maintain a shorter profile and get reasonable sound suppression so the user doesn't go deaf. A bolt rifle has a higher pressure and expels more gas out the back of the barrel unlike a semi-auto which has a lower pressure and starts bleeding gas through the gas system before the bullet has even left the chamber. All cans have baffle systems designed specifically for certain platforms, but some just so happen to work well on multiple platforms unlike the mini which was mission specific when designed. I've also actually heard the SOCOM RC (Not even the mini) on a bolt and and the following words of the owner... "That was loud as F#$k!" Not imagine a smaller can with internal volume.

You're beginning to sound like you want to debate this for the sake of justifying your own purchase and not for the sake of Farva. People that already know what they want don't come on to forums asking questions unless they want help in making that decision based upon reasoning. The discussion has been great until I suggested not going with the Mini and then low a behold a mini owner shows up and wants to debate the OP's need for the sake of feeling better about the can they own. So... if your here to actually provide input as to why he should pick the mini over the others, then please present your reasons. Hopefully it won't start with how you understand the physics of something being quieter blah blah blah and then you have to ask me why it would be louder on a bolt gun... Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way, but if you respond with the same statement about Farva's "Needs" without any type of justification for why it would be a better choice other than just wanting it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went to my local dealer today to purchase a suppressor. I had my eyes set on the AAC 556-SD and when I got there were out. All he had was an M4-2000, which I'm not completely turned off to because my cousin has several and they are good cans. What had turned me on the the SD was mainly the price point. The dealer then started talking to me and was trying to push me towards either the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or perhaps a saker. He also stated that he was trying to avoid AAC due to the mounting system having a history of failures, causing baffle strikes and after such a thing may happen one must send it off to AAC and deal with their less than enjoyable customer service. He went on to mention that three of his employes had those very issues with the AAC cans. That being said I've heard great things about AAC and I'm aware that both AAC and Surefire are some of the leading companies when it comes to cans.

My questions:

1.) Are the Surefire cans worth the extra money? Is the mounting system so rock solid that that alone is worth the extra money?

2.) do I go with the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or being that the can, for now, will reside on a 556 rifle do I avoid the 762 all together and get a 556 can.

3.) is the 762-mini hearing safe on SBR's (in 223/556) on say 10.5" barrels and up?

4.) does any one have experience with either companies customer service? If so how was your experience?

This is all I can think of for now and I appreciate the help. Like I said the can will mainly be on a 556 rifle. Further down the road I plan to build a higher caliber rifle. it might be 308, 300blk or rebuild my 6.5 Grendel is yet to be determined
    I have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini and a SOCOM 556SB. I also have an AAC Mini4, 762SDN6, 762SD, 556SD, and M4-1000

I like the AAC Cans better than my Surefire ones, and here's why:

To me the 51T Mounting system is fine. There is nothing wrong in my opinion and experience with them. They are also easier to remove than Surefire cans after shooting/carbon build up.

The Mini's were really never designed for hearing safe. In fact, I really don't use 556 cans without earpro. To me cans are more for less concussion, flash, and it's tolerable when shooting indoors.

Surefire cans are almost twice the price, as during sales you can almost get 2 AAC cans for the price of one Surefire. Huge.

If I could just have one can, I would buy a 762SDN-6, but having said that, I'm a fan of dedicated systems vs switching them between multiple guns.

However, going back to your original plan of buying a 556SD, that's really right now a no-brainer. AAC has been including a free blackout mount with the 556SD as well as giving you a $200 credit towards AAC products, which could get you 2 more mounts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini and a SOCOM 556SB. I also have an AAC Mini4, 762SDN6, 762SD, 556SD, and M4-1000

I like the AAC Cans better than my Surefire ones, and here's why:

To me the 51T Mounting system is fine. There is nothing wrong in my opinion and experience with them. They are also easier to remove than Surefire cans after shooting/carbon build up.

The Mini's were really never designed for hearing safe. In fact, I really don't use 556 cans without earpro. To me cans are more for less concussion, flash, and it's tolerable when shooting indoors.

Surefire cans are almost twice the price, as during sales you can almost get 2 AAC cans for the price of one Surefire. Huge.

If I could just have one can, I would buy a 762SDN-6, but having said that, I'm a fan of dedicated systems vs switching them between multiple guns.

However, going back to your original plan of buying a 556SD, that's really right now a no-brainer. AAC has been including a free blackout mount with the 556SD as well as giving you a $200 credit towards AAC products, which could get you 2 more mounts.
    Good information here. Are you basing it solely off the cost advantages of going with the AAC? Also tell me a little about your experience with the two SOCOM cans if you would please. I agree with the dedicated systems mind set as I was on board with the same thing as it may be some time before I shoot a larger caliber than 556. That being said I was looking at the SOCOM762-mini (after the chat with the dealer) as it had a smaller size for CQ Type work on an SBR for HD or even vehicle work and would still allow me to use it on a larger weapon system later on in life. AAC is still not out of the question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He already stated in his personal needs he plans to eventually use it on a higher caliber and that his comparison involved several full-size cans with one mini.
    No, I missed that initially. I read "5.56" and "SBR/CQB" and focused on that. Completely missed the last line.

Mini's were designed for semi-autos in order to maintain a shorter profile and get reasonable sound suppression so the user doesn't go deaf. A bolt rifle has a higher pressure and expels more gas out the back of the barrel unlike a semi-auto which has a lower pressure and starts bleeding gas through the gas system before the bullet has even left the chamber. All cans have baffle systems designed specifically for certain platforms, but some just so happen to work well on multiple platforms unlike the mini which was mission specific when designed. I've also actually heard the SOCOM RC (Not even the mini) on a bolt and and the following words of the owner... "That was loud as F#$k!" Not imagine a smaller can with internal volume.
    That's what I was asking. Now that you explain it, that makes sense. No excess gas being "bled" off to drive the bolt/carrier, so the energy has to go somewhere/in some form.

You're beginning to sound like you want to debate this for the sake of justifying your own purchase and not for the sake of Farva. People that already know what they want don't come on to forums asking questions unless they want help in making that decision based upon reasoning. The discussion has been great until I suggested not going with the Mini and then low a behold a mini owner shows up and wants to debate the OP's need for the sake of feeling better about the can they own. So... if your here to actually provide input as to why he should pick the mini over the others, then please present your reasons. Hopefully it won't start with how you understand the physics of something being quieter blah blah blah and then you have to ask me why it would be louder on a bolt gun... Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way, but if you respond with the same statement about Farva's "Needs" without any type of justification for why it would be a better choice other than just wanting it...
    I think the internet is getting in the way of communication. I fully acknowledge that the Mini is not the best choice for suppression. It met my needs, but I understand what you're saying that it's jack of trades and master of none. And by the way, when I say "Mini" I don't just mean the SF Mini, but any other smaller large bore suppressor.

As for trying to justify my purchase, I was actually trying to NOT do that, which was why I was asking the basic needs question. Again, having misread the initial post, I see where you're coming from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As for trying to justify my purchase, I was actually trying to NOT do that, which was why I was asking the basic needs question. Again, having misread the initial post, I see where you're coming from.
    No worries... I'm just in a shitty mood with and being a dick. I apologize...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd go with something SilencerCo. The 556 SpecWar is the same price, 1/2" longer and 1oz heavier than the 556SD with a vastly superior mount. This is going to start a debate but the 51T mounts from AAC are not trustworthy...the wobble is a known issue (to the point of accuracy issues in the worst cases) to AAC but nothing has or will be done. Yes, some lock up great, but the design itself cannot guarantee it based on the degree of span between teeth (6-7 degrees)...lots of people have had to modify them for lockup. I can go into more detail if you want.

SureFire has great mounts but their welds are ugly and the cans aren't as quiet as others like AAC or SiCo. And they're pricey

OSS is an expensive specialty can made to run suppressed....I'd hate to run my rifle without it and screw up that mount. I also don't quite see the fan fare...back pressure can be reduced with gas blocks as well as many other "standard" cans (Surefire is one) are minimizing pressure with new designs.

Griffin Armament M4SDII is a great option as well. Griffin makes some good and reasonably priced cans