Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).
    This is why I went with a SOCOM MINI for my last can. I currently own several legacy SF suppressors, a couple of various 762 SOCOM cans (mini and fullsize), as well. The 556 SOCOM MINI is by FAR! my favorite.
    Backpressure is noticeably less than my -212 legacy cans, and while I can tell more sound is coming from the muzzle, due to port blast, the Mini is about the same insult to the shooter's ears.

NO suppressor in 5.56 makes the gun hearing safe. Period.

Supersonic bullet flight is 150dB -+ 5.
    Nothing can fix that.
    Ejection port noise is modified by back-pressure. This is why the AAC SPR-M4 is one of the loudest cans out there to the shooter, and why the Surefire SOCOM MINI and AAC MINI 4 are quieter to the shooter.

Comparing the -212 fullsize to my SOCOM Mini on my 16" gun, the Mini sounded about 15% louder according to bystanders. To me the shooter, it sounded about the same except I could hear more noise going downrange. I did, against medical advice, crack off a few rounds without ear-pro. The insult from the mini was similar to the -212 to my ear as the shooter.

In short, chasing muzzle signature dB's when shooting supersonic ammunition seems pointless to me if you're ignoring ejection port signature to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I've not got a chance to use an OSS, but is a lot of cool features with their product. Another cool thing about the OSS besides supposedly having less blow back, is that the only part that's serial numbered is the sleeve. So the sleeve is the only part that needs a tax stamp, and can be used over either their 5.56 or 7.62 internals. Their system also adds a lot less length to the rifle.
    As I understand it, OSS is only endorsed by HK-USA, and HK in Germany is not impressed. The OSS suppressor won't even fit on any of the currently fielded military HK rifles until they come out with an end-mount design. The "muzzle-device"/core is very intricate and once the sleeve is off, well, to me it seems about the same as running around with an exposed baffle-stack. Bang it around a bit and life will suck. Might work good for some users, but for hard use, I'd be leery. That, coupled with some of the oddball statements OSS has made have completely turned me off to considering the thing. If, in a few years, it becomes considered as a viable option by serious users, I will take a look at it, but the first time they came out with it a few years ago, it was a bag of snakes, and I have seen no indication that it is currently a prime-time ready product.

“The issue sound suppressors suck," Johnny told us bluntly. "They are outside ear safe. Not inside ear safe. Ear safe to us is less than 140db in a 4x8ft room, at the shooters ear.”
    http://www.breachbangclear.com/oss-c...essor-systems/
    ^That's just NOT possible with supersonic ammunition.

It's a very complex device, to boot.
    Last edited by JGifford; 26 November 2014 at 16:57.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    As I understand it, OSS is only endorsed by HK-USA, and HK in Germany is not impressed. The OSS suppressor won't even fit on any of the currently fielded military HK rifles until they come out with an end-mount design. The "muzzle-device"/core is very intricate and once the sleeve is off, well, to me it seems about the same as running around with an exposed baffle-stack. Bang it around a bit and life will suck. Might work good for some users, but for hard use, I'd be leery. That, coupled with some of the oddball statements OSS has made have completely turned me off to considering the thing. If, in a few years, it becomes considered as a viable option by serious users, I will take a look at it, but the first time they came out with it a few years ago, it was a bag of snakes, and I have seen no indication that it is currently a prime-time ready product.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/oss-c...essor-systems/
    ^That's just NOT possible with supersonic ammunition.

It's a very complex device, to boot.
    I made the same point about the OSS muzzle device. Very intricate and necessary piece of equipment. I'd hate to run that thing through a windshield or bang it on window frames etc while running unsuppressed. Not an issue with other muzzle devices

Although suppressors can't attenuate the supersonic crack, the dB level at the muzzle and the shooter's ear is substantially reduced; combined with even a set of foam earplugs or "combat" style that block out impulse noise, the shooter has a much more comfortable experience, as well as team mates or others on the firing line. Suppressors dampen the concussion (or just redirect it) but I would much rather shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Also, a bolt action makes a huge difference in the noise at the shooter's ear versus a semi auto.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I made the same point about the OSS muzzle device. Very intricate and necessary piece of equipment. I'd hate to run that thing through a windshield or bang it on window frames etc while running unsuppressed. Not an issue with other muzzle devices

Although suppressors can't attenuate the supersonic crack, the dB level at the muzzle and the shooter's ear is substantially reduced; combined with even a set of foam earplugs or "combat" style that block out impulse noise, the shooter has a much more comfortable experience, as well as team mates or others on the firing line. Suppressors dampen the concussion (or just redirect it) but I would much rather shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Also, a bolt action makes a huge difference in the noise at the shooter's ear versus a semi auto.
    Agreed. I just don't feel that the full-size cans offer much on a semi-auto because of ejection port noise. Now that I bought a mini, I wish I hadn't bought full-size cans previously.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm just going to throw out my Saker is ready for pickup.....paper trust 4 months!!!.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had not heard of thunderbeast until this thread. What makes them so desirable?

I've been considering a suppressed armament Reaper, and it looks like thunderbeast offers a pretty competitive product (1.5" OD, ~7" OAL, <14 oz 7.62 with brakes and hider mounts in 7.62 and 5.56).
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thunderbeast makes a very high-quality product to exacting tolerances which makes them ideal for precision rifles

SAS cans that you mentioned are great but not widely known. Can't go wrong there

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    No worries... I'm just in a shitty mood with and being a dick. I apologize...
    I hear ya. Yesterday wasn't a great day here, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    Good information here. Are you basing it solely off the cost advantages of going with the AAC? Also tell me a little about your experience with the two SOCOM cans if you would please. I agree with the dedicated systems mind set as I was on board with the same thing as it may be some time before I shoot a larger caliber than 556. That being said I was looking at the SOCOM762-mini (after the chat with the dealer) as it had a smaller size for CQ Type work on an SBR for HD or even vehicle work and would still allow me to use it on a larger weapon system later on in life. AAC is still not out of the question.
    To my ear, the SOCOM cans sound louder, but like I said, I still wear ear-pro's with all centerfire cans. Cost for most of course is a large factor, but another thing to consider is, if you want to put a can on multiple platforms, the AAC muzzle devices are typically cheaper as well.

It's true, Surefire does have a lot less POI shift than AAC. However, to me that's not a big deal, because 90% of my shooting is 100 yards and in. I've preached this before, but I don't buy gear around the 1% or less of the time I might be doing something. If you end up getting a bolt gun, if you get a larger caliber. That's a whole lotta if's for something you'll probably be shooting 5.56 out of 99.9% of the time.

Unfortunately suppressors aren't one of those, I can try it out to see if I like it first type of thing. Just have to roll the dice. When I bought my first one, I decided to roll the dice with AAC as they were less than half the price.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Any input on the Griffin Recce 7 (http://www.griffinarmament.com/Recce...r-p/garec7.htm )? I'm considering that for a .300 pistol. I'd be curious to hear any opinions on Girffin's taper mount system, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the best deals I've seen. This one is from Radical Firearms. Buy a AAC SDN6 7.62 suppressor for $1049.95 and get a free complete upper. Then add $99.95 and get a complete lower. Also AAC has a $200 mail in rebate through the end if the year. So for $949.90 you can have a complete rifle and suppressor. They only have 10 of these and their doors open at 0800 on 11/28. Their phone number is 281-207-8788.

DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    One of the best deals I've seen. This one is from Radical Firearms. Buy a AAC SDN6 7.62 suppressor for $1049.95 and get a free complete upper. Then add $99.95 and get a complete lower. Also AAC has a $200 mail in rebate through the end if the year. So for $949.90 you can have a complete rifle and suppressor. They only have 10 of these and their doors open at 0800 on 11/28. Their phone number is 281-207-8788.

man thar is wild wish i had the money

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Any input on the Griffin Recce 7 (http://www.griffinarmament.com/Recce...r-p/garec7.htm )? I'm considering that for a .300 pistol. I'd be curious to hear any opinions on Girffin's taper mount system, too.
    The taper mount works really well. The SpecWar uses one similar and my Innovative Arms mount does, as well. It makes a really tight gas seal and keeps the threads clean. Mine has, but doesn't need, the QD latch because the taper seats so snugly.

I really want a Griffin Recce 5

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    The taper mount works really well. The SpecWar uses one similar and my Innovative Arms mount does, as well. It makes a really tight gas seal and keeps the threads clean. Mine has, but doesn't need, the QD latch because the taper seats so snugly.

I really want a Griffin Recce 5
    I've been looking really hard at the Griffin Recce 5 & 7. Also in the mix is the Griffin Spartan 3 direct thread as a dedicated 5.56 can on an SBR or pistol upper. The other .30 cal can I've been looking hard at is the YHM Phantom LT. So many choices I get frustrated then I just sit back and do nothing...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I had not heard of thunderbeast until this thread. What makes them so desirable?

I've been considering a suppressed armament Reaper, and it looks like thunderbeast offers a pretty competitive product (1.5" OD, ~7" OAL, <14 oz 7.62 with brakes and hider mounts in 7.62 and 5.56).
    Thunderbeast is not as affluent in the semi-auto performance market because they're more widely know in the precision long range shooting world. If you got to any large PRS, TRL, or general long range practical rifle event you can see them out there. Almost no POI shift, excellent accuracy, GREAT CS, and now that they are producing a better brake design for the 30CB9 I see them getting a lot more attention. Zak Smith is a good dude that is heavily into the precision game. They are designed more around bolt guns than semi0-autos, but they are worth looking at as I've seen them perform well on semi platforms as well.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30cb9