Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 for cat m4 tool - need to review one, have had one since they came out awesome little thing

I went from CLP to froglube to SEAL-1 orange froglube-type stuff. Works well after a couple of uses, been treating my G19 for a while now barely have to clean it, I am pretty surprised.

+1 for boresnake

Other than that a good brush and some time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been cleaning guns for almost 45 years. I LOVE the smell of Hoppe's #9. I still use it on some of my guns, (mostly shotguns), for the initial cleaning because as I said, I LOVE the smell! Takes me back to "the good old days" I guess. My .223/5.56 cleaning rod is a Top-Shot Products stainless steel rod with rotating handle. I also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as my primary bore cleaning agent on my rifles. As alamo said though, it will strip all oils from the metal, so if you are using "treatment" type products that are intended to build up over time, (Froglube, etc.), stay away from it. For lubrication, I've been using Breakfree CLP since it came out. I like that it holds up and even seem to catch and hold crud in suspension. I use it liberally on the gas system parts of my semi auto shotguns, and for the most part, everything just wipes off with a paper towel unless I go a really long time between cleanings, (which really only happens during waterfowl season and on one gun). I also use it on the BCGs, inside of my AR receivers, inside the buffer tube, on the buffer spring, and on the parts of the buffer which contact the buffer tube. Again, the crud for the most part wipes off. I'm kind of a neat freak about my guns, so no "torture testing" or extended periods of time between cleanings. I truly enjoy stripping a gun down and giving it a thorough cleaning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I also use non-chlorinated brake cleaner as my primary bore cleaning agent on my rifles. As alamo said though, it will strip all oils from the metal, so if you are using "treatment" type products that are intended to build up over time, (Froglube, etc.), stay away from it.
    I am not all that familiar with products like Froglube, but among the several people that I talked to... they pretty much all said like a 'once every six months' strip and clean with the non chlorine brake cleaner actually makes those products work better.

Whether or not it's a good plan to strip products like froglube from time to time (which I have never used yet)...I am not sure, but it makes sense to do so... that way you have a 'fresh coat' of the stuff and you can keep on with your treatments so that the active ingredients actually get to the metal. Maybe, maybe not.... but somebody might could ask the froglube people and see what they recommend.

I'm kind of a neat freak about my guns, so no "torture testing" or extended periods of time between cleanings. I truly enjoy stripping a gun down and giving it a thorough cleaning.
    Me too!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    For moisture issues, as long as you are coating your rifle regularly, the oil should displace any moisture. If you are concerned the are moisture absorbers you can buy.
    So in my case, what do you recommend doing? My rifle isn't going to be cleaned in the foreseeable future (torture testing) - and will most likely sit in the case for long periods of time (due to college, I can see at most, maybe a range trip max once a month on some weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I went from CLP to froglube to SEAL-1 orange froglube-type stuff. Works well after a couple of uses, been treating my G19 for a while now barely have to clean it, I am pretty surprised.
    If I do go the Froglube route (or something similar of that nature for the matter), should I be worried at all since my rifle will be predominantly be sitting in a Pelican case for the better part of the remaining winter/spring?

I've been cleaning guns for almost 45 years. I LOVE the smell of Hoppe's #9. I still use it on some of my guns, (mostly shotguns), for the initial cleaning because as I said, I LOVE the smell!

For lubrication, I've been using Breakfree CLP since it came out.

I'm kind of a neat freak about my guns, so no "torture testing" or extended periods of time between cleanings. I truly enjoy stripping a gun down and giving it a thorough cleaning.
    You're not the only one who loves the smell of Hoppe's #9 haha.

Just curious - is there a reason why you prefer to use Breakfree for just lube, and not all 3?

Call me a bit of a neat freak too. Though, my rifle is a BCM rifle, and I can't just not pass up the opportunity to see how long/hard I can run my Jack Carbine until failure (if it ever does )

I also heard the secret is using old cut up tshirts, no?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    So in my case, what do you recommend doing? My rifle isn't going to be cleaned in the foreseeable future (torture testing) - and will most likely sit in the case for long periods of time (due to college, I can see at most, maybe a range trip max once a month on some weekend).

If I do go the Froglube route (or something similar of that nature for the matter), should I be worried at all since my rifle will be predominantly be sitting in a Pelican case for the better part of the remaining winter/spring?
    Watch the link to that youtube video I put up earlier in the thread if you haven't done so already. The guy takes about a dozen popular products and torture tests them for us so we don't have to. That link is a video to the results.

Based on what I am seeing, unless you live right beside the ocean somewhere in a salt water environment you should be more than ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You're not the only one who loves the smell of Hoppe's #9 haha.

Just curious - is there a reason why you prefer to use Breakfree for just lube, and not all 3?

Call me a bit of a neat freak too. Though, my rifle is a BCM rifle, and I can't just not pass up the opportunity to see how long/hard I can run my Jack Carbine until failure (if it ever does )

I also heard the secret is using old cut up tshirts, no?
    I suppose I could use the Breakfree CLP for all three, and sometimes do. But mostly I just use it for two of the three: to lubricate and protect. While I love the smell of ol' #9, my wife does not. So in deference to her, I only use that out in the garage. The aerosol brake cleaner only gets used in the garage too.

Old t-shirts, I have a couple plastic garbage bags full. The are used as rags for general wiping/cleaning, and I just throw them away when they get too dirty. For cleaning patches, I use paper towel squares. I just cut a bunch up with scissors when getting ready to clean a gun, and go to town.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In regards to the CLP the main reason I use it I I shot in cold weather. I've had good luck with it in that regard. The frog lube from reports I've read does not perform well where I live.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a pack of the SEAL 1 based on your recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2Xz5Xntfc

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Watch the link to that youtube video I put up earlier in the thread if you haven't done so already. The guy takes about a dozen popular products and torture tests them for us so we don't have to. That link is a video to the results.

Based on what I am seeing, unless you live right beside the ocean somewhere in a salt water environment you should be more than ok.
    Whoops missed that link. Thanks - was pretty interesting, now I know what to stay away from!

Honestly, I'm leaning a bit towards Froglube - did some more digging/Youtubing and really like what I saw. It's eco-friendly, edible, and (more important to me) non-toxic ... plus just checked, my local shop sells it - and a little cheaper than MSRP; hard to beat that!

And I guess, going back to long'ish term storage, would I just do a light coat of Froglube down the barrel? Or should I do something else?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thompson,

If you're not in a hurry, remind me at the end of December. I should be finished moving by then. I'm sure I have an extra tub of Froglube I can send you to try out. I'd like to hear your opinions on it as a new user to the product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I bought a pack of the SEAL 1 based on your recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2Xz5Xntfc

Honestly, I am a fan all of a sudden of this product. Before I was like "this gimmick crap..." but I literally cleaned my glock 4-5 times with it and now it looks "wet" all the time and wipes off after shooting. I am very surprised.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I am a fan all of a sudden of this product. Before I was like "this gimmick crap..." but I literally cleaned my glock 4-5 times with it and now it looks "wet" all the time and wipes off after shooting. I am very surprised.
    We can experiment so other people don't have to LOL!!!

I watched some youtube videos on it and it looks pretty good. Then you throw in a couple of 'testimonials' and I am willing to give it a shot.

Who knows... there is nothing wrong with trying new things. You just might discover something that works even better....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also want to do somewhat of a torture test (just for my own curiosity to see how far I can push my rifle) - probably somewhere between 3-5000 rounds without any sort of cleaning (maybe a wipedown of the BCG and maybe some lube on it here and there). [Side note: if I decide to go this route, recommendations on lube?]

(I've probably forgotten a thing or two to ask so, there will be follow-on posts)
    Why? It's been done, hundreds of times, probably thousands, you can find results of these tests from a few thousand to 10 thousand or more rounds. Do an internet search and save your money and gun. A. you've mentioned you're on a budget, but want to blow enough cash to shoot 3 to 5K rounds without cleaning just to see if it screws up your rifle? Just because your rifle will do this, and if it's of any quality at all it will, why would you want to put undue wear and tear on your weapon, to prove what? something that's been proven many, many times. Just because I've seen tests where people drain all of the oil out of their vehicle and drive a hundred miles on the residual, doesn't make me want to drain the oil out of mine.

Second, I would at least run a patch or two of whatever type of cleaner you plan to use, just to get any residual residue the barrel may have during manufacturing.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Thompson,

If you're not in a hurry, remind me at the end of December. I should be finished moving by then. I'm sure I have an extra tub of Froglube I can send you to try out. I'd like to hear your opinions on it as a new user to the product.
    That'd be great actually Wont get a chance to pick up my rifle from the shop til late December anyways, so that works out perfectly. Always love doing some T&E.

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Why? It's been done, hundreds of times, probably thousands, you can find results of these tests from a few thousand to 10 thousand or more rounds. Do an internet search and save your money and gun. A. you've mentioned you're on a budget, but want to blow enough cash to shoot 3 to 5K rounds without cleaning just to see if it screws up your rifle? Just because your rifle will do this, and if it's of any quality at all it will, why would you want to put undue wear and tear on your weapon, to prove what? something that's been proven many, many times. Just because I've seen tests where people drain all of the oil out of their vehicle and drive a hundred miles on the residual, doesn't make me want to drain the oil out of mine.

Second, I would at least run a patch or two of whatever type of cleaner you plan to use, just to get any residual residue the barrel may have during manufacturing.

FT
    Yeah, I know it's been done like a bajillion plus times, but at least for the foreseeable future, the Jack Carbine will serve as my go weapon for everything. And should SHTF (doubtful it will ever happen, but who knows with the way the world is turning these days), I want ease of mind knowing what limits/how far I can take my rifle. Also, I'm not planning on blowing 3-5k rounds in the period of a couple months per se --> most likely over the course of a year or two. All else aside - I'm just curious to see how far I can take the Jack. I'm studying engineering right now - I'd like to go work in the firearms industry, so if I can push a rifle to failure, I can see why/what went wrong and remedy a solution from there.

And yep - was planning on running some solvent all through the rifle (might as well since I'm already doing the barrel) then throwing lube on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That'd be great actually Wont get a chance to pick up my rifle from the shop til late December anyways, so that works out perfectly. Always love doing some T&E.

Yeah, I know it's been done like a bajillion plus times, but at least for the foreseeable future, the Jack Carbine will serve as my go weapon for everything. And should SHTF (doubtful it will ever happen, but who knows with the way the world is turning these days), I want ease of mind knowing what limits/how far I can take my rifle. Also, I'm not planning on blowing 3-5k rounds in the period of a couple months per se --> most likely over the course of a year or two. All else aside - I'm just curious to see how far I can take the Jack. I'm studying engineering right now - I'd like to go work in the firearms industry, so if I can push a rifle to failure, I can see why/what went wrong and remedy a solution from there.

And yep - was planning on running some solvent all through the rifle (might as well since I'm already doing the barrel) then throwing lube on it.
    Hell, you can probably find guys here who haven't cleaned their guns in 3 to 5K rounds, just because they don't consider them that dirty...
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member