Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    With Pentax primes (what I use) the fastest you can get is f1.8 with a couple of exceptions. They are not as fast as cannon or Nikon lenses but the build quality exceeds both of those. Pentax only offers at present crop camera and medium format. In your price range crop is it since an entry level medium format body is about 10 grand....

Pentax primes are small and light and have superb build quality. The trade off is the lenses typically are not as fast.
    I think most people shoot f2 or higher more frequently, so 1.8 should be plenty fast. Pentax is a good camera. I went Canon because I shoot a lot of video as well as stills and most of my friends have Canon gear that we share. Lots of good choices... :)
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want video then there are better choices than Pentax. But for shooting stills...they are great. Not trying to be a gear ho but it is what it is. There are several cameras out there that if I win the lotto I will buy...right beside all the guns I can dream up. Lol.

With any camera its 95% user anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    I have not tried the "Cloud" storage, yet. Is there any particular service you trust more than others?
    I don't use it. Too nervous still.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    No offense, but I giggle a little every time I read someone reference "THE CLOUD". Mostly because I think there are really people who believe their shit is stored somewhere floating around between Terra Firma and Outer Space...not on honest to goodness real hard drives in some server farm...
    Trying to explain it to clients makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I have not tried the "Cloud" storage, yet. Is there any particular service you trust more than others?
    I have free Azure storage (20TB) because of my affiliation with Microsoft but I recommend Amazon to clients who will use and can write it off as an expense. Google Drive is roughly $10 a month per TB and OneDrive is $7 a month per TB. I say Amazon as they have had the least amount of issues out of the top 3 providers.
    The reason I say use cloud storage is because over time disk integrity degrades even is you are not putting power to the external HDD. I have seen external HDD that have had data stored to them and not touched for a year but when the client needed the data the disk was dead and it cost them $$$ to have drive savers recover the data. The key is finding what you need to have available and what time frame you can cycle old stuff out to store newer data.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Trying to explain it to clients makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I have free Azure storage (20TB) because of my affiliation with Microsoft but I recommend Amazon to clients who will use and can write it off as an expense. Google Drive is roughly $10 a month per TB and OneDrive is $7 a month per TB. I say Amazon as they have had the least amount of issues out of the top 3 providers.
    The reason I say use cloud storage is because over time disk integrity degrades even is you are not putting power to the external HDD. I have seen external HDD that have had data stored to them and not touched for a year but when the client needed the data the disk was dead and it cost them $$$ to have drive savers recover the data. The key is finding what you need to have available and what time frame you can cycle old stuff out to store newer data.
    Thanks. Sounds wise. I use StorageDNA tape backup at work. (HD video) Even with that, I make two copies. 😯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a fan of carbonite. Unlimited for ~$60 a year. I have 5+ terabytes of photos backed up on there, and then I keep local backups as well. Once you start shooting raw, you never go back. And your storage needs seem to increase by an order of magnitude.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I'm a fan of carbonite. Unlimited for ~$60 a year. I have 5+ terabytes of photos backed up on there, and then I keep local backups as well. Once you start shooting raw, you never go back. And your storage needs seem to increase by an order of magnitude.
    I usually shoot raw. Great latitude, huge files... :-)
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just need a camera. My IPhone 6 does great but I've been wanting one for a while anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I just need a camera. My IPhone 6 does great but I've been wanting one for a while anyway.
    All of the recommendations here are good. I still like the idea of getting a brand that your friends have. Being able to share gear and tips is very helpful. As an example: I am shooting a Christmas party for a fortune 500 company this Saturday night. I am borrowing a lens from my daughter and a flash from a coworker. No rental fees. :)

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would recommend that if you DO get an DSLR, try and take a class. If you just stick it on auto all the time, you are wasting your money. You might as well get a point and shoot with a decent zoom lens.

I used to work for Nikon, so that's what I use. I just have a D50, and honestly I don't see needing anything else. Maybe for a Higher MP sensor, but you aren't gaining what most people think from more MP. I already spent more on the 18-200 lens than I did the body. And I do need some sort of closer lens. There is so much to taking good pictures though you can learn a whole lot from a cheaper setup. And still take amazing picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All of the recommendations here are good. I still like the idea of getting a brand that your friends have. Being able to share gear and tips is very helpful. As an example: I am shooting a Christmas party for a fortune 500 company this Saturday night. I am borrowing a lens from my daughter and a flash from a coworker. No rental fees. :)

The only reason I have Canon gear is because Stick taught me how to shoot pics, and he uses all Canon gear. I also had a buddy give me a 40D body, so I ended up with all Canon. I'm not a loyalist, if someone turns me on to Nikon Gear, I would have no issue moving over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I sat and read this whole thread and have no idea wtf you guys are rambling on about.

Don't get me wrong, yalls photos are amazing. Some of you are easily at a professional level or better. But dang to much jargon for this country boy to wrap his head around...

I think I'm doing good just to get photos from my phone to the computer and hosted up lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The only reason I have Canon gear is because Stick taught me how to shoot pics, and he uses all Canon gear. I also had a buddy give me a 40D body, so I ended up with all Canon. I'm not a loyalist, if someone turns me on to Nikon Gear, I would have no issue moving over.
    Exactly. They both make great images in the right hands.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads

I blame you guys

http://digital-photography-school.com/first-dslr-now/
    First DSLR, now what? Looks like a good article.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best thing I learned recently was the +/- bar at the bottom of the viewer was a light meter... Of course I don't read manuals...