Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Petition for Michael Brown Jr. Law?

Michael Brown Jr. Law? Make it mandatory for cops to wear body cameras. Michael Brown parents petition. I know we have a lot of LEO on here so what is everyone's thoughts? Personally I'm in the fence on this one. Think it is a good idea so this type of shit doesn't happen. Al Sharpton would have to find a new job. The down side is added equip LEO would have to wear.
    My only fear is that when I die.... my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of Depts over here went to body cameras and my opinion is GREAT! All these people think it will shed light on the behavior of LEOs but they fail to realize it will also video tape every retard out there who wants make fraudulent allegations. Now when they're in court the Judge, Jurors, and all their friends can see their behavior for what it is. When some idiot robs a store then tries to make a go for the officers weapon they can get video footage of it and post the entire video on a public page so that way CNN, CBS, NBC, etc can't just edit 75% of it out.

I also think it would be a good training tool for the Duty Sergeants or LT's to review and work with in improving tactics and behavior if there are complaints and they see an issue before it turns into a Tyrant with a badge getting a lawsuit brought against Dept which is bad for everyone including the public.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not a LEO but I am friends with about 20 officers. Sometimes they come over and we shoot or they take me to the police range and we shoot there. 95% of the officers are great. .5% can be very bad apples. Don't get me wrong...I think officers are great and the deal with a lot of bullshit.

I have personal experience with bad apples though. For the 95% it will be just like Ordnance said. And if there is ever a dispute....look at the tapes. It will end a lot of litigation and other crap going on...

Edit to reflect the .5%
    Last edited by alamo5000; 7 December 2014 at 16:23.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But I am very opposed to them naming a law after that asshole.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Yep. More like LEO Protection Act or something. I hate to see it come to this but yes, I would go for it. Leaves no room for questions or lies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Naming a law after him or even referring to a law like that implies that he was a victim of the cops....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's great, and if I was an LEO I would WANT a body camera for my own protection. I suspect that, for the most part, body cameras won't show what the proponents think it will show.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Naming a law after him or even referring to a law like that implies that he was a victim of the cops....
    Great point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't even consider that... Great point!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think they help in some instances but cause major headaches people don't think about. Massive storage problems. That's a whole lot of data every day. Stuff breaks. Now every time there is a mechanical breakdown automatically the cops are hiding something. I can't keep a radio working I can't imagine how bad a camera is. I have been through a whole ton of digital cameras that haven't been up to task in my off duty goofing around. They haven't been through a fight.

Then you add freedom of information requests. Time and money most agencies don't have for massive amounts of information.

Unfortunately juries believe CSI is real and if it wasn't on video it didn't happen.

It is going to have a massive chilling effect on street informants. I have a whole boatload of people I talk to in the community that talk to me about what goes on in the neighborhood. They do it because they trust me and they know I will address the crimes without dragging them into it. No way in hell are they going to do that while being video taped.

Privacy issues, Sorry you aren't coming into my home while video taping anything. Unless i'ts a major crime scene that ain't happening. Remember this is public record and anyone can get a hold of that.

For me. I start and end my day in my drive way. Lets go back to public record.

When does it get turned on and off? I can tell you you don't want to witness my whole day or a private conversation I have on a break. And I do get breaks. Cops work a 24-7 schedule. Life, bills and kids don't stop because of the job. I rarely see my family so the kids and wife get a goodnight call when I'm working if I can, because they rarely see me.

How many hours of report writing are we willing to archive. What if I have to drop a duece.

Now we have an issue of turning it on for a traffic stop. I can tell you if I stop someone and they jump out of a car turning on a camera is a last priority. Meeting the threat is my top priority.

People have this bizarre idea that LEO's sign a suicide pact when they sign up. Nope. I will damn sure put myself in harms way to protect the innocent. Even if they are just innocent for the moment. But I'm not sacrificing my life for anyone. They are going to have to take it from me I'm not giving it up and it won't be pretty to watch.

Mike Browns parents never wanted justice. They wanted revenge. A national bill based on the act of a thug who wanted to attack a cop is bunk. Science proved it beyond a doubt. But lets not let facts get in the way.

I am 100% against anything implemented on a national level for police. If you tried to drop LAPD into my AO there would be an all out revolt. If you Put my agency in LA the criminals would have a hay day. Different worlds.

With that said I wouldn't mind having a camera that was on whenever I'm out of the squad on any call or on a Traffic or citizen contact. But i also want the ability to turn it off so a Grandmother can tall me about the guy selling heroine to 14 year olds down the street or the pedophile next door without her having to worry about getting labeled a snitch and being targeted.

The whole scope of this movement is to demonize law enforcement. I saw a poster stating that 5% of cops were bad. My god if it were that high we would have a huge problem. Its realistically about a 10th of a percent. If you're not in the business it may be easy to believe int he thin blue line of silence. I will tell you without a doubt we don't want turds working with us. If you lie cheat steal or act like an ass you just make my job harder. If you do that I will do my best to drum you out and to charge you criminally if I can. I don't know anyone who feels differently about it.

But this is also one of the few jobs that if one guy in Rhode Island does something stupid for some odd reason a cop in Kansas has to answer for it. The media has been doing their dead best to beat this horse and fan the flames. I am very lucky to live in a community that by a large margin supports us and I love to live and work here. There are still plenty of turds and agitators but they get shut down pretty fast by the decent people. Now if one of us does something bad they will also pig pile on it like nobodies business as they should.

I would hate to work in an area that had no support. A bad attitude would be easy to get. Unfortunately it seems the media wants that disconnect.
    Last edited by MonkeyBomb; 7 December 2014 at 11:27.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This whole thing has got more press than it ever deserved. You're more likely to choke drinking your morning coffee and die than get shot by a cop. This whole thing just needs to be squashed, a percentage of the public will never like cops. If cops WANT to wear cameras then power to them. It should NEVER be mandatory.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Making it mandatory to wear cameras is opening a door that will not be able to be shut.
    Last edited by GOST; 7 December 2014 at 11:34.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb View Post
    I think they help in some instances but cause major headaches people don't think about. Massive storage problems. That's a whole lot of data every day. Stuff breaks. Now every time there is a mechanical breakdown automatically the cops are hiding something. I can't keep a radio working I can't imagine how bad a camera is. I have been through a whole ton of digital cameras that haven't been up to task in my off duty goofing around. They haven't been through a fight.

Then you add freedom of information requests. Time and money most agencies don't have for massive amounts of information.

Unfortunately juries believe CSI is real and if it wasn't on video it didn't happen.

It is going to have a massive chilling effect on street informants. I have a whole boatload of people I talk to in the community that talk to me about what goes on in the neighborhood. They do it because they trust me and they know I will address the crimes without dragging them into it. No way in hell are they going to do that while being video taped.

Privacy issues, Sorry you aren't coming into my home while video taping anything. Unless i'ts a major crime scene that ain't happening. Remember this is public record and anyone can get a hold of that.

When does it get turned on and off? I can tell you you don't want to witness my whole day or a private conversation I have on a break. And I do get breaks. Cops work a 24-7 schedule. Life, bills and kids don't stop because of the job. I rarely see my family so the kids and wife get a goodnight call when I'm working if I can, because they rarely see me.

How many hours of report writing are we willing to archive. What if I have to drop a duece.

Now we have an issue of turning it on for a traffic stop. I can tell you if I stop someone and they jump out of a car turning on a camera is a last priority. Meeting the threat is my top priority.

People have this bizarre idea that LEO's sign a suicide pact when they sign up. Nope. I will damn sure put myself in harms way to protect the innocent. Even if they are just innocent for the moment. But I'm not sacrificing my life for anyone. They are going to have to take it from me I'm not giving it up and it won't be pretty to watch.

Mike Browns parents never wanted justice. They wanted revenge. A national bill based on the act of a thug who wanted to attack a cop is bunk. Science proved it beyond a doubt. But lets not let facts get in the way.

I am 100% against anything implemented on a national level for police. If you tried to drop LAPD into my AO there would be an all out revolt. If you Put my agency in LA the criminals would have a hay day. Different worlds.

With that said I wouldn't mind having a camera that was on whenever I'm out of the squad on any call or on a Traffic or citizen contact. But i also want the ability to turn it off so a Grandmother can tall me about the guy selling heroine to 14 year olds down the street or the pedophile next door without her having to worry about getting labeled a snitch and being targeted.

The whole scope of this movement is to demonize law enforcement. I saw a poster stating that 5% of cops were bad. My god if it were that high we would have a huge problem. Its realistically about a 10th of a percent. If you're not in the business it may be easy to believe int he thin blue line of silence. I will tell you without a doubt we don't want turds working with us. If you lie cheat steal or act like an ass you just make my job harder. If you do that I will do my best to drum you out and to charge you criminally if I can. I don't know anyone who feels differently about it.

But this is also one of the few jobs that if one guy in Rhode Island does something stupid for some odd reason a cop in Kansas has to answer for it. The media has been doing their dead best to beat this horse and fan the flames. I am very lucky to live in a community that by a large margin supports us and I love to live and work here. There are still plenty of turds and agitators but they get shut down pretty fast by the decent people. Now if one of us does something bad they will also pig pile on it like nobodies business as they should.

I would hate to work in an area that had no support. A bad attitude would be easy to get. Unfortunately it seems the media wants that disconnect.
    Best post ever!
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw a poster stating that 5% of cops were bad. My god if it were that high we would have a huge problem. Its realistically about a 10th of a percent.
    Just for record keeping purposes my comment wasn't trying to be statistical but rather 'illustrative' stating that the vast majority are not bad. It wasn't meant to be taken literally in that sense of the word.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like your take on this and you just changed my view. did not think of the privacy issue or the added cost that would eventually come out of my pocket.
    My only fear is that when I die.... my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them!!!!