Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there any subsonic 300blk loads that would be great for hunting or self defense? What about supersonic? I'm new to both hunting and the idea of rifles for self defense but it seems if 300blk doesn't habe suitable loads for subsonic rounds it takes half of the purpose away.

Downloads
    Uploads

NEW SilencerCo Harvester Subsonic .300 Blackout Ammo

AFAIK, for expanding subsonics, the options are Lehigh and Noveske.

OTOH, I'm not a big fan of subsonics for either job. In 300BLK, I'd use the Barnes 110gr black tip for both applications for much better performance.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    AFAIK, for expanding subsonics, the options are Lehigh and Noveske.

OTOH, I'm not a big fan of subsonics for either job. In 300BLK, I'd use the Barnes 110gr black tip for both applications for much better performance.

-john
    thanks. just the info i was looking for. and theres no rule against using supersonic 300blk with a suppressor. its just not optimal i suppose

how would something like the barnes 110g compare to a quality 5.56 choice?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's a bit hard to compare.

At closer ranges (while it's traveling near or above 2000fps... aka "rifle velocities") it should out perform anything in 5.56.

(my guess is this is around 200 yards in a 16", maybe 150 in a 8")

As it drops significantly below 2000fps, it's going to behave like a large, expanding pistol round.

(maybe out to 3-400 yards)

At very long ranges, when velocities are falling below the 1300fps range, it may not expand and then you have a big FMJ.

(also note as velocity drops off, drop get significant so hold overs can be large)

The sweet spot is where it's traveling rifle speeds. In that case you get the best of all worlds other than you need to be aware it penetrates a fair amount which needs to be factored in for defense.

It's big, all copper, barrier blind and expanding. Not much not to like as long as you aren't dealing with long ranges.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I'm really asking for a relative. He has, in his safe, a 16" 5.56 and a 10.5" 300blk. Both quality guns so not worried about that. And a socom 762 mini incoming. So he is looking to decide which is best to keep ready around the house.

Downloads
    Uploads

My defense rifle is 300 BLK loaded with 110gr Barnes black tips.

Then again, I don't envision a defensive situations where I'd be taking a shot past 200 yards. But even if I were it wouldn't feel I had an ineffective tool or anything like that.

That said, I wouldn't deploy my 300 BLK without good ammunition that is designed for or verified to operate well in 300 BLK.

Many options were not designed for 300 BLK or are otherwise not optimal for a defensive situation.

Some are designed for .308 and are too heavy to perform as designed in the 300. Some options that don't have the correct profile may not feed reliably.

-john