Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If I posted a pic of a 22LR suppressor it shows how much I know about suppressors. Which is zip Nada. Nothing.

Initially if I suppress anything it will be an AR 15. 5.56
    Alright so from my big post:
    it's a rifle, what caliber, and do you want the ability to move it quickly from one host to another, or will it primarily stay on one rifle? Is size and weight a concern, or do you want to maximize suppression?
    You want to suppress a 5.56 rifle. Answer some of those other questions and I can help narrow it down, and not only telling you brand/product options at that point, but WHY I make those conclusions based on characteristics of the host weapon and/or suppressor(s)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, to further your knowledge and just give you some reading material regarding suppressors and rifles

http://www.silencerresearch.com/soun...red_rifles.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If I posted a pic of a 22LR suppressor it shows how much I know about suppressors. Which is zip Nada. Nothing.

Initially if I suppress anything it will be an AR 15. 5.56
    Former11B hit on most of the points, i'll just add a few

First of all stay away from Titanium designs, while they may be slightly lighter and less expensive than the Inconel designs, they will not hold up to the heat and will wear much faster on a semi auto, they are also louder and they throw sparks. You can reach titanium's failure temperature in a magazine or two if you have a fast trigger.

If you ever plan on suppressing a 308 or 300blk I'd look strongly at a 30 cal can vs a 5.56, sure you do lose a couple DB's in noise reduction but you also gain slightly less back pressure and less risk of a baffle strike. However they are longer and weigh/cost more.

Barrel length effects the efficiency of a can. The shorter the barrel, the louder it is, and the more erosion and wear you will have. 11.5" suppressed is about the shortest i'll go and have it somewhat hearing safe. On barrel shorter than that the suppressor acts like a concussion reducer more than a sound suppressor, those are just loud no matter what. There are also Mini/K styles out there that are great on 14.5" and longer, but they don't do very well on shorter barrels.

Stay with good companies that will support their products. I prefer Griffin Armament over anything else, with Silencerco a close second. Both have amazing customer service and they are IMO the leaders in the industry right now. Surefire and KAC are incredible cans but the asking price IMO isn't worth it.

If I had to choose one .30cal can to do anything, it would be the Griffin Armament Recce 7. Their Recce 5 which is the 5.56 version is also one of the best options out there. The Silencerco Saker is a great choice as well, but it is heavier than the Recce series.

If you want to get funky and try something away from the standard design, look at OSS suppressors. They have almost completely eliminated backpressure and blowback. Down side is a heavy and expensive unit.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    First of all stay away from Titanium designs, while they may be slightly lighter and less expensive than the Inconel designs, they will not hold up to the heat and will wear much faster on a semi auto, they are also louder and they throw sparks. You can reach titanium's failure temperature in a magazine or two if you have a fast trigger.
    What about for .22 cans? I'm looking into them for use on a dedicated .22 upper. From what I've seen, a lot of .22 cans are of a titanium construction.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Sometimes these long posts make it really hard to answer all your questions. I know you're trying to learn and I'm not at all telling you to stop, but I'll send you the bill for my optometry vist!!!!
    LOL

Your post was quite informative. Thank you! I will buy you a steak dinner and we can call it even? Deal? LOL

I will go over your and others posts in more detail as I get more time. I am not trying to learn everything in a single day... I view it as a process.

What I don't want to do is ignorantly go out and buy something. In the mean time I can window shop and do my tactical oogling of the products offered to "over time" come to a somewhat educated conclusion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Try and find a dealer to let you try them before you buy it helps because the whole decibel thing can be confusing but to hear them in person is probably the best comparison. I could hardly tell the difference between the AAC 762-SDN-6 and M4 - 2000 in sound on the dealers 5.56 Sbr, just the weight and length really, but I do have a touch of hearing loss. I would love to tell you that the AAC 762-SDN-6 is the way to go but I am still waiting for the Form 4. I picked it because I wanted to do multiple rifles and calibers but wanted to maintain my marriage lol.
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Jeff Cooper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by VIPER 237 View Post
    Stay with good companies that will support their products. I prefer Griffin Armament over anything else, with Silencerco a close second. Both have amazing customer service and they are IMO the leaders in the industry right now. Surefire and KAC are incredible cans but the asking price IMO isn't worth it.

If I had to choose one .30cal can to do anything, it would be the Griffin Armament Recce 7. Their Recce 5 which is the 5.56 version is also one of the best options out there. The Silencerco Saker is a great choice as well, but it is heavier than the Recce series.

If you want to get funky and try something away from the standard design, look at OSS suppressors. They have almost completely eliminated backpressure and blowback. Down side is a heavy and expensive unit.
    While I dont own anything made by Griffin, I can attest to their quality as well as the effectiveness of their design. The Recce 5 and 7 cans use a taper mount, which I have on my Innovative Arms suppressor:

Basically, as an alternative to a direct barrel thread to suppressor design, the taper mount holds the suppressor on with a series of coarse threads and then the sloped "tapered" surface on the mount mates to a similar surface in the suppressor, forming a tight, locked into place gas seal. The SilencerCo SpecWar uses a similar taper design to the a Innovative mount, including the fine tooth ring with the locking gate on the can that hook onto corresponding teeth on the mount to prevent rotational movement, unthreading, or wobble. In my picture, the Innovative Arms mount uses a gate that has about ten or so teeth and it swings into place on the can. The SpecWar used a rotating collar that lowers teeth in a similar fashion to teeth on the can.

The locking teeth on both are really a back up measure for comfort....I know mine locks up super tight with just the taper mount and coarse threads. This is why I wouldn't hesitate to get a Recce 5 or 7 with just the brake mounted taper/threads. I like this mounting system better than direct threading for use of one can on multiple rifles because you can swap the cans back and forth without leaving exposed barrel threads.

I agree completely about the SF and KAC cans. Great performance (although the suppression from the SF isn't too super...SilencerShop send their first SOCOM batch back because the dB level was so high they thought it was defective lol)

The OSS cans are definitely unique but I can't see paying that much for a can...I'd just get a Surefire can if I wanted low back pressure. The OSS muzzle device looks like something that is costly to damage:

I also think if the OP only has a 5.56 and doesn't plan on any other (larger) calibers for the forseeable future, he should stick with a 5.56 can due to length and weight savings. Just my .02 in that regard.

Thompson: As far as titanium goes, if you want a lightweight .22 suppressor, just go with aluminum. Aluminum .22 cans weigh about three ounces, they don't spark, and really aren't hard to clean.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I also think if the OP only has a 5.56 and doesn't plan on any other (larger) calibers for the forseeable future, he should stick with a 5.56 can due to length and weight savings. Just my .02 in that regard.

In a perfect world, once I get out and about more I will build more rifles. I definitely have my eyes on a .308 build. For now it's 5.56. I also have several pistols that I would like to suppress too but I am trying to keep it simple.

As for that mount....or how the suppressor will mount to the rifle.... Personally I think I will be happier with a very tight fitting mount like the one pictured. I don't like having exposed threads and to be honest over time I am not sure of hanging (even some) weight off the end of a barrel would lead to wobble or messing up threads. For me, I like beefy. Beefy mounts that don't move. Within reason I am not that concerned with weight.

Even if I could have a suppressor on everything (lots of $$$) I still would opt for the beefier sturdier mount. In my personal hierarchy of wants I value accuracy. I don't want to give up accuracy for suppression. I am not running courses or doing any kind of operational military or LEO stuff so weight is lesser of an issue for me.

Right now I am in a 'decent' financial situation so long as I don't blow everything on guns and ammo LOL. I am hoping that going forward things will be good enough to where I can drop a few more grand on 'options' and not worry too much. I would rather drive an old car and have some awesome other stuff... I am not really that into cars...they don't provide near the enjoyment as other things do (for me)...

But that all said, I like quality stuff. I am sure there are probably 20 different ones that I could buy and be fine with any of them. But for right now my scope is limited but looking forward... I am 'starting' with the AR...depending... who knows...

The whole thing about registering and all that bothers me though. (Being honest). I think those laws are stupid. There is no logic in forcing people to pay $200 and to keep a file on them for these. It's not even really the $200. I will still follow the laws as they are and once I am ready I will jump on it. One of my reasons for having or wanting a suppressor is more or less to be polite to the neighbors. I will be able to participate in shooting a lot more frequently if I can tone it down some volume wise. Even though I do live in the country I still have neighbors. To me it's just being considerate... aside from that I just like it.

So I will learn my options and come up with something that I like...and then go for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far maybe I need to make a list:

1. Caliber to suppress
    2. The mounting system
    3. The type of baffles/suppression system
    4. Other considerations (Say a multi use multi caliber suppressor) or any other special considerations...

And go bit by bit in that order and look at what is being offered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd also come up with what your priorities are and what you want out of it.

-dB reduction
    -minimal POI shift
    -weight
    -etc

That can also help you get pointed to specific manufactures and their specific systems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me marinate on the information provided thus far...and later on I will revisit this thread.

One thing that might be helpful is for us to create a list of REPUTABLE suppressor manufacturers. Companies that are just known to be good... and over time I can go to their websites and research out what's currently out there. I can window shop for free.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Red Jacket

Sorry couldn't help it.

In no particular order and not all-inclusive:
    SilencerCo
    Griffin Armament
    Innovative Arms
    Allen Engineering (formerly Ops Inc)
    GemTech
    AAC
    SureFire
    Knights Armament Corp.
    Suppressed Armament Systems
    Thunder Beast

Also:
    YHM/Yankee Hill Machine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Red Jacket
    Somebody ought to kick you in the marbles for that one :) LOL j/k!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Red Jacket

Sorry couldn't help it.

In no particular order and not all-inclusive:
    SilencerCo
    Griffin Armament
    Innovative Arms
    Allen Engineering (formerly Ops Inc)
    GemTech
    AAC
    SureFire
    Knights Armament Corp.
    Suppressed Armament Systems
    Thunder Beast
    What about YHM???

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^. Yep, that's a good one for the list. I'm sure I left out some other larger name companies