Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there such a thing as "too wet"???

Interesting video from Vickers Tactical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone is gonna take it the wrong way, so I guess it will just be me. No it is not such a thing to be too wet.

Pun intended.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For immediate testing like they did it won't be a problem for immediate use... yes the gun will function fine but you will get that crap on everything. Just haul your gun around in a bucket of motor oil.

Over time though many liquid based lubricants will have evaporation. I've had guns that I have cleaned with stuff like ProShot or CLP that after the guns sit for a while they develop a 'film' on them that is actually quite sticky.

The notion of instant dunking isn't really in question. Aside from making a mess with a really wet gun this part isn't a problem. But if those guys dunked those guns then put them even in a closet (especially in a dry environment) (think Arizona) for a month.... then come back and try it and tell me what the firearm looks and performs like. Particularly it matters with lighter liquid based lubes. I don't know if motor oil qualifies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I call bullshit! I don't care if the company he works for gives him a hat with Daniel Defense on the front! First, the video was almost childish, if you listen to them, in their taunting way about under lubing. Then they pour a gallon of oil in with the weapons and within 15 seconds are yammering about "oh no, the sand and dust". I have a better test. Let him lube that gun like that and drag it through the desert, for say, two weeks at a time. See how much shit accumulates in their weapon. I could go on and on, but I don't have a hat that says DD on the front. Second, there are a great many variables, that would take a thorough and thoughtful debate to work through the many possibilities. The fact that they performed this in such a clownish manner, and in 3 minutes totally negates any respect I would ever have concerning anything else they say.

I would expect such a , for lack of a better word, impish "demonstration" on one of the "big" AR sites, for Kool-Aid drinkers and armchair commando's.

Love,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I call bullshit! .....Then they pour a gallon of oil in with the weapons and within 15 seconds are yammering about "oh no, the sand and dust". I have a better test. Let him lube that gun like that and drag it through the desert, for say, two weeks at a time. See how much shit accumulates in their weapon.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    Someone is gonna take it the wrong way, so I guess it will just be me. No it is not such a thing to be too wet.

Pun intended.
    +1
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    The video says that they don't recommend anyone lubing their rifle that way. They also said to not to under lube your gun, and to consider the conditions of environment. I will admit the video was extreme but I didn't get from the video that they were recommending that you soak your rifle with lube and drag it through the desert. What I got from the video was lube your rifle before you show up for a class.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sand and dust is going to stick anyway... It may as well be lubricated sand and dust.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A video on how to properly lube your rifle would be better, but no one would watch it. I wouldn't have watched it, but I wanted to see what was making FT so mad.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Sand and dust is going to stick anyway... It may as well be lubricated sand and dust.
    No, it will be concrete..... should your weapon be lubricated, yes. Dipping weapons in a gallon of oil and declaring instantly (where ever the hell they were)d in 15 seconds that the sand and dust were taking their toll, is something I would expect from your average you tube boob. Not folks who should know better. However, I suppose it's not necessary to know how to repair a transmission, to sell cars, so I guess they can get by with dufuss type shit like that video.

With more love,

FT/
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I would expect such a , for lack of a better word, impish "demonstration" on one of the "big" AR sites, for Kool-Aid drinkers and armchair commando's.

Love,

FT
    I'm more of a lawn chair commando. And no I do not endorse Vickers, I'm more of a Kyle Defoor fan. But I do thank Vickers for his service. From lawn chairs all around the world, we love you FT.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    A video on how to properly lube your rifle would be better, but no one would watch it. I wouldn't have watched it, but I wanted to see what was making FT so mad.
    No hate here, I ended "with Love"...... and unicorns and butterfly's and liitle kittens. (fresh off the grill) So, don't piss me off GOST, or I'll get mad..

Not only was that video absolutely stupid, and if they would like to debate the point I will. Do you realize what could happen if you run a barrel thoroughly soaked with oil, and run a grove filling projectile down the barrel at 2700 fps, what could happen?

Can you say Kaboom! and in a major way? New guys come here and say "hey I didn't know much when I came, but I'm learning". Then see dumb and dumbass pull some stupid, pointless and moronic crap like that? Would you like to hear that a guy/gal new to shooting duplicated what they thought "experts" did, had part of their barrel imbedded in their heads? Not me.

I expect to see dumb crap like that on You Boob, I see folks hammering together their AR's with a hammer and nail punch, but I definitely don't expect to see stupidity from a major manufacturer.

That's all I am trying to say.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you saying you didn't like the video?
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    And FT.... Thank you for your service!
    flickr
    facebook

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I am talking about a rifle that is actually used, in the sand and dust. I cleaned my rifle as often as possible, but mainly, I just kept it lubed with CLP, back in 05... Never had a single issue, and that was a dirty rifle at times. No concrete.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.