Downloads
    Uploads

KAC barrel dimpling Patent number: 7013592 Inquiry

What are Y'alls thoughts on dimpling? And does this Patent prevent a manufacturer from Dimpling their production barrels?

Downloads
    Uploads

KAC barrel dimpling Patent number: 7013592 Inquiry

Is barrel dimpling something you can patent? It's literally drilling a hole in a piece of steel. Are they gonna defend this patent against everyone who has a dimpled their barrels?

ETA: looked it up. I thought you meant dimpling for a gas block. I'm not sure they could stop another company from doing that type of texture to a barrel, and some companies do it already (black hole weaponry) but I'd assume if they wanted to they could successfully defend their patent.

I'm sure it was done by others before this patent, but did Bell just invent the telephone are did he patent it?

Here's the info in question for anyone wondering

http://www.google.com/patents/US7013592
    Last edited by Ride4frnt; 28 February 2015 at 07:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd thought about getting a barrel dimpled before in the KAC pattern. Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms used to work as a CNC Programmer at Knights Armament and still dimples barrels in KAC's pattern. I've seen a lot of other companies offer barrel dimpling very similar to the KAC pattern, but slightly different. ADCO offers a similar pattern but states on their web-site that it's not the KAC pattern. The Black Hole Weaponry dimpling that Ride stated is the closest I've seen to KAC's, it looks like their dimples are a little larger and closer together. I guess some companies are getting around infringing on KAC's patent by using either different size dimples or a slightly different pattern. I'd suggest asking Marvin Pitts, he can be reached at:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nefar...38142753027664

(479) 559-2184
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Marvin Pitts used to sell pre-dimpled barrels.

https://www.boltcarrier.com/product/...arrel-dimpled/
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an SR-25 with a dimpled barrel and I do think it helps with the balance of the rifle. However, for me personally, most of my shooting will be done off of a bipod...so I am indifferent. The fact that a 14.5 KAC upper with a dimpled barrel is selling for around $2500 right now and you can buy a new KAC SR-15 complete rifle for $1900 is just silly as the only difference is the dimpled barrel. I guess it just looks better with the Seal Team 6 BDU's everyone is rocking these days....

Marvin Pitts is still the guy for this service among the KAC Fan Boy crowd, which I will admit, I am a distinguished member of LOL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really wish I could run our production barrels threw him without getting sued. I'll contact Marvin and KAC on Monday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info guys!