Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

1-4x or magnifier?

So now that I've got this pistol (almost) completed I am looking at just tossing the PA micro onto it and upgrading my carbine to something with some magnification.

I've been looking at the PA 1-4x vs adding a magnifier to a red dot.

Just looking for some opinions and experience of some of you.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely go 1-4. Magnifiers as far as I'm concerned all pretty much suck, and usually cost a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience with magnifiers has been very mixed as well. I'm no expert but I can spot a piece of #### in no time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what I've been reading as far as magnafiers as well as heavy.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far I've only used a magnifier to assist with zeroing a red dot.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

1-4x or magnifier?

PA 1-6 if you can find one

Eta: in stock at primary arms and aim surplus. If you have the extra scratch after Christmas, their 1-6 is a worthy upgrade over the 1-4, IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    PA 1-6 if you can find one
    Yeah... I've been watching videos on that one.

I'll have to wait to pick that one up. Though it's the better option. I just hate having to wait.

EDIT: I really don't have the cash right now. Maybe if it were to go on a sale that I just couldn't pass up.
    My logical side is telling me to just wait and get the 1-6.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy a few scratch offs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Definitely go 1-4. Magnifiers as far as I'm concerned all pretty much suck, and usually cost a lot.
    My sentiments also, even expensive magnifiers. Get everything in one package, and it should be lighter and one less thing to worry about going wrong.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    So far I've only used a magnifier to assist with zeroing a red dot.
    Are you sure you're looking through the right end, GOST?
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, after wasting nearly an entire work day reading and watching videos between the two I now have changed my mind between 1-4x and 1-6x. :D
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I agree. I didn't like a magnifier at all. I bought my Accutron 1-4 and I couldn't be happier.

If quickly changing from 1-4x is a concern, look at the MGM Switchview.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally depends on what you are looking to do.

Id go with a good 1-4x.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will throw this into the mix... I currently have a relatively inexpensive ($200 something bucks) 1-4x on my 16" AR.... If I really try I can keep it within an inch at 100 yards with that optic with off the shelf ammo. I have no doubt I could hit a lot farther out given the chance. I will find a longer place to shoot soon and give it a go. That said, from your initial post you said you are building a pistol.

My question would be, are you really going to try and shoot beyond 100 yards with that set up? Are you really going to try and go for groups? I personally am tempted to get more magnification on my next optic merely because I like the whole precision shooting thing. But with a pistol if you are going to be engaging within 100 yards or less 1-4X is plenty, especially if you are not trying to get dime sized groups. If your targets are 18" or so then 1-4 is a great choice and anything more, while nice, is overkill if you ask me.

If your goal is to have a blaster of some sort where precision accuracy isn't really 'as important' then I would save my money and stick with the 1-4x. But that's just my opinion not knowing what your setup is and what your goal is for shooting or what you will be shooting at.

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...throw-down-pcl

That is what I use on my AR and the design of it is quite interesting for a tactical setup if you ask me. It's a first focal plane so on the low end its a red dot (or acts like one).... and on the high end you have the reticle as shown in the link. The inside edge of that horse shoe covers 18" at 100 yards....great for fast acquisition.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 17 December 2014 at 21:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I will throw this into the mix... I currently have a relatively inexpensive ($200 something bucks) 1-4x on my 16" AR.... If I really try I can keep it within an inch at 100 yards with that optic with off the shelf ammo. I have no doubt I could hit a lot farther out given the chance. I will find a longer place to shoot soon and give it a go. That said, from your initial post you said you are building a pistol.

My question would be, are you really going to try and shoot beyond 100 yards with that set up? Are you really going to try and go for groups? I personally am tempted to get more magnification on my next optic merely because I like the whole precision shooting thing. But with a pistol if you are going to be engaging within 100 yards or less 1-4X is plenty, especially if you are not trying to get dime sized groups. If your targets are 18" or so then 1-4 is a great choice and anything more, while nice, is overkill if you ask me.

If your goal is to have a blaster of some sort where precision accuracy isn't really 'as important' then I would save my money and stick with the 1-4x. But that's just my opinion not knowing what your setup is and what your goal is for shooting or what you will be shooting at.

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rif...throw-down-pcl

That is what I use on my AR and the design of it is quite interesting for a tactical setup if you ask me. It's a first focal plane so on the low end its a red dot (or acts like one).... and on the high end you have the reticle as shown in the link. The inside edge of that horse shoe covers 18" at 100 yards....great for fast acquisition.
    He's putting the red dot off his carbine on the pistol and the scope on the carbine.