Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    For the price, the Aero mounts are hard to beat. Light, solid, great lock on the upper. Let's be honest, how many times do you see yourself in a situation your gonna have to dump the scope off your gun in a hurry?
    VERY few. I was debating if I needed to keep BUIS to be honest.
    Decided to keep em though.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got this aero mount userd

Pretty impressed with it, though it is NOT QD which is a no-go for a gun with BUIS (in my opinion).

I ordered an SWFA-branded (Bobro built) 30mm extended for my SR4c, because I need QD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    The Mil Dot helped me decide not to get the SWFA.
    I'm starting to get less and less excited about the SWFA offerings when I look at the weights. I know it's FFP, but even the 1-4 with a mount weighs more than an Elcan DR. Yes, it's cheaper, but at the end of the day, I keep coming back to the ACOG, which seems to meet both the weight and price points. Just not the tacticool points.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    I really love the Aero Precision mounts.

I am using the Aero SPR. I like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really digging the previously mentioned Bushnell 1-4.
    So far I am digging it too :)

It gets 4.5 stars out of 5 from me... the downside as previously mentioned... they need to make the turrets more stable for my liking. But it ain't half bad at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    For the price, the Aero mounts are hard to beat. Light, solid, great lock on the upper. Let's be honest, how many times do you see yourself in a situation your gonna have to dump the scope off your gun in a hurry?
    Bingo, and in a situation where deploying BUIS is life or death? Probably a very small percentage of us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bingo, and in a situation where deploying BUIS is life or death? Probably a very small percentage of us.
    How would you run BUIS with an Aero SPR anyway? I am still trying to figure this one out :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    How would you run BUIS with an Aero SPR anyway? I am still trying to figure this one out :)
    No, I wouldn't run any BUIS with a non-QD mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I wouldn't run any BUIS with a non-QD mount.
    Next question, calling upon your expertise.

IF I decide to upgrade optics to say something really good... like US Optics or whatever... assuming I get the right design and all that stuff.... what really do I gain over say a cheaper model like the one I am using now?

I paid just over $200 bucks to the door for what I have now (the Bushnell 1-4) but 'really' what is to be gained if I stick with 1-4 but go with US Optics or Night Force or something like that? Same style just different more top shelf brand....

Of course I could probably drive a nail with the Night Force (as in physically banging on it)... but other than that....

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Buis with a scope is not really something needed. Maybe some offset sites if you're super tactical like that, but it's not like the battery in your scope is going to go out and leave you down...
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buis with a scope is not really something needed. Maybe some offset sites if you're super tactical like that, but it's not like the battery in your scope is going to go out and leave you down...
    +1 for etched reticles :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was thinking along the same lines but then thought "what if the glass beaks, or gets really fogged, or is bumped and you're way off zero"?
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you really need BUIS, get a set of the Magpul BUS Pro Offsets. You can fold them down and they are really out of the way.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines but then thought "what if the glass beaks, or gets really fogged, or is bumped and you're way off zero"?
    Yeah, but what if your BUIS get knocked off at the same time, etc, etc? I mean, unless you're in an all-out war where multiple guys are coming at you and you have no cover, no retreat, and no backups, well, I guess you're screwed then. But in all reality, in most EVERY situation, you'll be fine.

Just get an FSP if you want a buis that will always be there. That's why I've always had one. I've proven (to myself at least) that I can make viable hits at a fair distance with just an FSP. Just takes a consistent position and cheekweld.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Next question, calling upon your expertise.

IF I decide to upgrade optics to say something really good... like US Optics or whatever... assuming I get the right design and all that stuff.... what really do I gain over say a cheaper model like the one I am using now?

I paid just over $200 bucks to the door for what I have now (the Bushnell 1-4) but 'really' what is to be gained if I stick with 1-4 but go with US Optics or Night Force or something like that? Same style just different more top shelf brand....

Of course I could probably drive a nail with the Night Force (as in physically banging on it)... but other than that....
    I've never used SWFA branded glass but in general the big differences between expensive and inexpensive optics are weight, durability, glass quality and accuracy. clarification of terms:

Weight = favorable size-to-weight ratios in expensive optics
    Durability = ability to hold zero after taking abuse, pieces not wearing out as quickly and seals staying tight over time
    Glass quality = as you go higher in price, the glass and glass coatings become more refined. In a very basic description, you will get more clarity at higher magnifications, more clarity in low light environments and less ocular distortion around the edges of the image. Differences become very minor as you go up in price though, and you might not even be able to notice a difference beyond a certain point.
    Accuracy = by this I am referring the accuracy of the optic's mechanical parts. will the zero you set up at a low magnification be the same at a high magnification? You would think so but this is not always the case. Does one "click" of the knob result in the same amount of movement each and every time? Are the cliks in the knobs even clearly deatinguishable? Does the .1 MOA click actually move .1 MOA or is it something weird like .11 MOA?
    Again these are all things that you would think every optic gets right, but that is not always the case.

*edit* I forgot to mention this: A big reason some mid-range optics with similar features (ie. 1-4x with 30mm tube) are far more expensive than others is the way they are manufactured. For instance, all US Optics scopes, from the cheapest to the most expensive, are made in the same factory and undergo the same quality control checks. Other companies (Bushnell in particular) offer similar optics at sometimes drastically cheaper prices. How can Bushnell do this? Answer: they do not produce their own optics. Instead they source them from other manufacturers and re-brand them as their own. This is not necessarily a bad thing as their higher end tactical scopes are very well made and very well regarded. The problem comes in when you start comparing Bushnell's high end optics with the less expensive models. Their different tiers are made by different manufacturers and are therefore not subject to the same quality control. Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it may require you to do a little more research on your end.

Also check out SWFAs used and demo optic sales. They generally have pretty good deals