Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which would you prefer?

So having built roughly 4 ARS already (with 2 more on hold) I started to think about something. Something more in line of extreme abuse type rifle, one that I would have no problem taking it everywhere, a do it all type weapon and also the one that's not in my inventory.

So far all my ARS are 16+ inches middys in barrel length with one being a 10.5 carbine, I was missing the medium length, the 14.7. Having to stay within legal length a pinned 14.7.

Personally I think the 14.7 is the perfect compromise between a 16 and 10 in terms of a do-it-all type scenario. However there's a problem, The gas system option of carbine or midlength.

Can any of you chime in with anything to contribute on either gas system for a 14.7?

Ultimately, I want it to be reliable and never fail in the firing system. I can't decide which route to go.
    Last edited by Soisauss; 18 December 2014 at 16:31.
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mid length, no questions. I've never ever had reliability issues in either of the 14.5" I've had, and less felt recoil is a plus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My 14.5" is a BCM BFH middy, I'm also using a H buffer. With ammo like Tula it sometimes will not lock the bolt back. It may do it with a carbine buffer but I haven't tried.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Which would you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    My 14.5" is a BCM BFH middy, I'm also using a H buffer. With ammo like Tula it sometimes will not lock the bolt back. It may do it with a carbine buffer but I haven't tried.
    Never run a H in mine, just carbine and a spikes t2 once. No problems with the t2. Shooting mostly .223 plinking reloads and m193. I've never run steel cased ammo, so ymmv.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So the consensus is mostly for midlength. I heard and read most people who do 14.7 run on a middy gas system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mid length all day long.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I honestly never felt a big difference between mid and carbine systems in a 14.5" barrel, but that's just me.

If your talking about building the most general purpose AR you possibly can, a carbine length gas system will cycle/ and or lock back with a wider range of ammunition more reliably... But at that point you are talking about cycling 98% of ammunition versus 96%

why are you looking at 14.7" and not 14.5"?

Downloads
    Uploads
    never shoot a mid but i have herd it work great on a 14.5 so why not go that rout

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    I honestly never felt a big difference between mid and carbine systems in a 14.5" barrel, but that's just me.

If your talking about building the most general purpose AR you possibly can, a carbine length gas system will cycle/ and or lock back with a wider range of ammunition more reliably... But at that point you are talking about cycling 98% of ammunition versus 96%

why are you looking at 14.7" and not 14.5"?
    No real reason, plus I figures that . 2 inches won't make that much of a difference, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It's also dependent on what the retailer is offering :p

Downloads
    Uploads
    I 'm not looking at a velocity chart right now but your probably talking about a negligible difference in velocity between the two barrels. You woldn't feel a difference in weight or point-ability unless the 14.5" and 14.7" were side by side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    I have to agree with Schambers here. The mid-length may shooter a little softer but not much. I'm not downing a 14.5" middy, as it's the setup I've been playing with most lately. I really like my middy, but in a 14.5" the difference is marginal over a carbine. Now in a 16" there is a lot bigger difference since a 16" carbine is way over gased.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Soisauss if the barrel your looking at is a Centurion Arms 14.7" carbine length, I used to have one and it was a great barrel.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Soisauss if the barrel your looking at is a Centurion Arms 14.7" carbine length, I used to have one and it was a great barrel.
    :D lolol

But also looking at psa rifle kit with the middy 14.7 too

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisauss View Post
    :D lolol

But also looking at psa rifle kit with the middy 14.7 too
    My brother has a 14.5 barrel from PSA and have had zero issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Them PSA barrels from FN are GTG.
    flickr
    facebook