Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

18" Coyote Rifle

Well parts for my Uncle's rifle will start trickling in. He lives in Alabama and after our recent trip down he got to handle my NTD build. He wants something basic to shoot coyotes and pigs will. Doing a simple 18" Mid length gas build for him, nothing fancy.

Parts List

MasDefense Slick Side Blem Upper Receiver
    MasDefense 18" Stainless Steel Midlength Gas Barrel (low pro gas block and gas tube)
    Strike Industries 13" Keymod Rail
    Standard A2 Flash Hider
    Standard Charging Handle
    Ares Armor Phosphate BCG (picked up on sale for $89, regular price $150 )

PSA Blem MagPul MOE lower ( comes with PSA LPK, Blem Lower Receiver, MOE Grip, MOE Stock ) picked up on sale for $129 + FFL for a total of $150

I wanted to give the MasDefense guys a try, lots of good reviews on their products and at a very decent price. Talked to my uncle before I made the purchases and he is okay with trying out their barrel. If we have any problems will probably move to either Faxon or Odin Works barrel.

If Mike gets his shop up and running before this build is complete it will go down to get some cerakote if not it will go down with a BDL $300 Gift Certificate so my uncle can send it up for cerakote as soon as Mike is up and running.

Cerakot Scheme:

OD Green: Barrel, Flash Hider, Gas Block, Mag Catch, Bolt Catch, Safety Selector, Trigger, Charging Handle, Buffer Tube, Grip
    Kryptek Mandrake: Rail, Receiver Set, Stock
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    18" mid-length gas is such a goofy barrel design. Doesn't know what it wants to be. Why not a rifle length gas system?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Gale View Post
    18" mid-length gas is such a goofy barrel design. Doesn't know what it wants to be. Why not a rifle length gas system?

Finding one in the price point I was given to work with wasn't working out.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. A rifle length 18" is the only way I'd go. Middies should stick to 14.5-16"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't even see an 18" barrel on the MAS website. That being said, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

If I were building another varminter, I'd be using this barrel again: Green Mountain GM-M28 $179.95

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I agree. A rifle length 18" is the only way I'd go. Middies should stick to 14.5-16"
    Oh I agree completely I would have preferred a rifle length gas but finding a stainless steel one with the budget I had to work with just wasn't going to happen. We are looking at shots maybe out to 200 yds max. I tried to talk him into a 16" barrel but he was dead set on 18". I told him my opinion and said I would prefer a rifle length gas system and told him it would cost extra to get into the better barrel. Just wasn't happening right now.

Doing the standard research before making purchases and giving my opinion at the yardage he is going to be shooting at the difference between mid and rifle length he isn't going to be seeing it. Especially shooting surplus ammo. Now if he reloaded and wanted to go out to 300 yards + and maintain tight consistent groups he knows he will have to switch to a rifle length match grade barrel and move up to either hand loads or pay the extra money for match load ammo. Taking into consideration his shooting skill and his needs and his budget this barrel should suit him well.

If it was up to me and it was my build and my money I would do the standard LR AR build.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't even see an 18" barrel on the MAS website. That being said, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

If I were building another varminter, I'd be using this barrel again: Green Mountain GM-M28 $179.95
    MasDefense .223 Wylde SS and I had a discount code for an additional 15% off my purchase total
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 18" RA match in mid length that shoots lights out..shot next to a buddys 18" rifle length and didnt see any difference to speak of..The other reason i have the middie, was the rifle length was OOS for so long and then the Mid length came in stock with only a few available and i grabbed it to finish the build...

Either way , sounds like a good build comp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I have a 18" RA match in mid length that shoots lights out..shot next to a buddys 18" rifle length and didnt see any difference to speak of..The other reason i have the middie, was the rifle length was OOS for so long and then the Mid length came in stock with only a few available and i grabbed it to finish the build...

Either way , sounds like a good build comp.
    Thanks brother. Tracking shows I will have most of the upper parts Monday
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    MasDefense .223 Wylde SS and I had a discount code for an additional 15% off my purchase total
    My bad... I was looking on the 5.56 page. I hope it turns out to be a good barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My bad... I was looking on the 5.56 page. I hope it turns out to be a good barrel.
    We will find out soon. Most of the upper came in today. Rail will be here tomorrow and hopefully the BCG, CH, and muzzle device will be here before Wednesday. And apparently the stainless steel wasn't in the budget and he went with the standard barrel. Once the upper is together I will slap an optic on it take it out sight it in and put some rounds on paper @ 100yds to see what kind of groups it will hold.

OD Green MagPul MOE+ donated by FortTom. Thank you brother for the 2 grips you have passed my way.

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mmmmmmhhhh parts... drool
    BRUUUHHHH....Do you EVEN OPERATE?!?!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the feeling when new parts come in =)
    +++++++++

Everyday is a good day!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything came in to finish up the upper. Waiting for the next payment to come in from my uncle to build the lower and get an optic.

Here is a quick mock up of the upper nothing tightened down. Hopefully Mike will be up and operational by the time this thing is done.

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What length is that rail?