Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    They look like they're pretty well made. Definitely very cool that they offer a wide selection of bolts in other popular AR platform calibers. To me though, they seem a bit pricey for a 9310 steel bolt. And for $10 more one can purchase a BCM bolt. No mention of if they're MPI or not in the description. They do have an "Enhanced Design for upmost reliability" though. I'd be curious as to what's been "enhanced" and how they compare to a Knight's Armament E3 set-up, which has been significantly re-engineerd as compared to the standard bolt design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    9310 isn't what I really want for a 7.62x39 bolt though - I'd prefer one made from Carpenter 158 steel. If I'm going to buy a 9310 bolt I can get one brand new from the manufacturer for $44.95. I can get one in 8620 steel with a lifetime guarantee for $49 (which means they'll probably end up replacing it at least once if not more than once). There are several though that I can get in 9310 steel for $60 or less and some of them include the shipping. So far, from my research it looks like I'll go with a 9310 steel bolt. SOTA Arms will replace it if any of the lugs break but, it's also only the $45 so even if I went though 2 bolts it would cost me less than the MGI bolt. I could just go ahead and buy two and have one for a spare then get it replaced if any of the lugs break. I'd be curious what the life expectancy of the nickel boron 7.62x39 bolt would be though.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    9310 isn't what I really want for a 7.62x39 bolt though - I'd prefer one made from Carpenter 158 steel. If I'm going to buy a 9310 bolt I can get one brand new from the manufacturer for $44.95. I can get one in 8620 steel with a lifetime guarantee for $49 (which means they'll probably end up replacing it at least once if not more than once). There are several though that I can get in 9310 steel for $60 or less and some of them include the shipping. So far, from my research it looks like I'll go with a 9310 steel bolt. SOTA Arms will replace it if any of the lugs break but, it's also only the $45 so even if I went though 2 bolts it would cost me less than the MGI bolt. I could just go ahead and buy two and have one for a spare then get it replaced if any of the lugs break. I'd be curious what the life expectancy of the nickel boron 7.62x39 bolt would be though.
    I've been thinking about building a 7.62x39 upper, and everything i've come across so far (as far as bolts go) has either been made from 8620 or 9310. Given those choices, 9310 is the clear answer (although i too would prefer Carpenter 158). And if 9310 is what i'm settling for, AIM Surplus offers a complete BCG with a 9310 steel bolt for $99.95.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    I've been thinking about building a 7.62x39 upper, and everything i've come across so far (as far as bolts go) has either been made from 8620 or 9310. Given those choices, 9310 is the clear answer (although i too would prefer Carpenter 158). And if 9310 is what i'm settling for, AIM Surplus offers a complete BCG with a 9310 steel bolt for $99.95.
    99.95 and I'd have planned on that - however, I have a bolt carrier so all I need is the bolt and the enhanced firing pin. RedX Arms has the Enhanced firing pins for $16 with free shipping.

I have some specific reasons I am building this AR pistol in 7.62x39. One of them is because I have some steel cored ammo but nothing that can shoot it after I traded my SKS for my 1911 .45 3 years ago.

Another reason for using this caliber is that ammo for it is very cheap. There are some other very valid reasons I have also.

Since I can't shoot 7.62x39 yet, I am building something that can do so. There are other calibers I want available to me also. I will work on those after I finish this one.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.