Thread: Pistol to SBR

Downloads
    Uploads

Pistol to SBR

Hey everyone. So got my NFA trust done. So of course now I need to make use of it.

I want to build an SBR. I heard the wait can take a while. I have heard of people saying to build it as a pistol while waiting for approval.

The problem is there is just so much damn information available that trying to Google it you come up with a million different opinions.

And then I have other concerns. I have heard some people say you can't have certain things around each other, something about being able to construct an NFA item without the stamp. So whats the deal with having a pistol AR and normal AR's? Technically couldn't I construct an SBR at that point without my stamp?

The ATF sure has made a mess of all of this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a pistol AR, you can have any barrel length you want in your possession.

If you're starting from scratch, build it as a pistol. This way you can function check it before you commit to that setup as an SBR. If you're taking a rifle and making that an SBR, just wait to build your short upper.

If you submit the paperwork with the E-forms, it only take about 4-5 weeks right now. Mine was approved on 12/12/14 and took 33 days. If you paper file, you're looking at months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! I got 2 lowers that need to get used :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think people get wrapped up in "constructive possession" too much.

If you have a short barrel in your parts bin, there is no alarm that goes off at the ATF, making sure you're in compliance.

Having said that, I think having a pistol lower is a good idea. It's a good way to make sure you build up that lower, and it's in spec, and functions correctly before you submit it for a stamp. In fact that's how I started, had and still have 1 Mega Arms Pistol Marked lower. When my SBR's were approved, I ended up keeping my 1 pistol in pistol configuration, just for the heck of it.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My pistol is just a mil-spec buffer with 550 cord wrapped around it. I didn't think buying a pistol buffer was worth my time and money since I'm about to send off my stamp paperwork.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    When my SBR's were approved, I ended up keeping my 1 pistol in pistol configuration, just for the heck of it.
    That's what I'll be doing as well. I'll have a couple 10.5" uppers, and this way I can let other people shoot my pistol if they want, while I shoot my SBR. I don't need another rifle right now, so no need to change it from a pistol.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you have a short barrel in your parts bin, there is no alarm that goes off at the ATF, making sure you're in compliance.

Having said that, I think having a pistol lower is a good idea. It's a good way to make sure you build up that lower, and it's in spec, and functions correctly before you submit it for a stamp. In fact that's how I started, had and still have 1 Mega Arms Pistol Marked lower. When my SBR's were approved, I ended up keeping my 1 pistol in pistol configuration, just for the heck of it.
    Its hard not to get wrapped up when it could 'possibly' have such a negative impact. But like they say, the average person commits 3 federal offenses a day. Some even on accident. :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration79 View Post
    Its hard not to get wrapped up when it could 'possibly' have such a negative impact. But like they say, the average person commits 3 federal offenses a day. Some even on accident. :D
    I think snopes.com needs to look into constructive possession.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with building it as a pistol first the. Doing the SBR as others have suggested. Just my personal opinion I've always found the whole "you can't have these things near each other" argument stupid because the ATF can't prove intent.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    i have both
    8.4 pistol and a 10.5 SBR so do both
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sheesh....no kidding! I think it's pretty much an urban legend too.