Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by KW900A View Post
    Thanks WHSmith, you basically confirmed what I was thinking. I never thought to check the NRA for info. I wish I could get by with stowing the gun and putting the mag in the console. At least FOPA is there to keep us on the right side of the law. It's an inconvenience, but at least I have that option.

I'm a pretty brave person, but when laws, guns and family intersect, I like to play by the rules and know my rights.
    Ironically my wife has family in New York and we will be traveling there in January. Nowhere near the city thank The Lord, but that's research I need to do as well. I never have, because I always assumed they had it locked up pretty tight.
    That's why I looked it all up for you buddy. Don't forget to unload the magazine if it's a semi auto pistol and put the bullets in a different locked suitcase. Loaded mags in Commieland are treated as if it was a loaded gun.

New york doesn't have CCW reciprocity with ANY state. Taking a gun there could really be a problem because Commie York residents have to have handgun permits. I'll look up the NY laws for you for transport etc. and then I'll have to pull up that garbage legislation they call the SAFE Act. and pull out relevant parts of it that apply. I think it's highly likely that it will simply be 100% illegal to take your gun there - but I'll check for you anyway. Tell her family to come visit you would be my advice.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only glimmer of hope I found is for transporting, with the gun unloaded and stored in a area inaccessible from the passenger compartment. Is this true? Also we travel in a SUV so, the whole damn thing is the passenger compartment, technically. Does the hatch under the floor with the spare tire count?
    I can shed some light on this. I was wondering this exact same thing as well. Wanted to drive over the Mason-Dixon line to do some shooting with a friend down there.

And like what Will pulled, I saw the same thing. But I was very confused - MD laws are some damn confusing the figure out. Plus - regarding guns - those laws were written for in-state residents, not out of staters like you and me.

.... so I went further digging - I called 3 separate PD's in MD to confirm. I'm not sure how open/conceal carry works (but probably a no no given their gun laws and lack of reciprocity), but at least for transport, it's not a problem. Just has to be in an unreachable area like you said - basically I was told, just store in the trunk - with ammo separate from the firearms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

When I was doing my digging I did read specifically that Maryland does not allow open carry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    F!@# MD.

That is all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    F!@# MD.

That is all.
    I'd drive around if it wouldn't add so much to the drive

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

When I was doing my digging I did read specifically that Maryland does not allow open carry.
    Actually, the law DOES allow open carry IF you have a CCW permit. Obviously, that is very dumb since if you have a CCW permit why the hell would you bother to open carry? Quite obviously, the legislation was written by dumbocrats.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Maryland ccw I assume? Or can I with my va ccw? I must have read it wrong, or read incorrect info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maryland is nuts. WHSmith is correct. Gun and ammo in separate locked cases. Gun and ammo in the same case, even locked is a felony.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the help all of you. Leaving the gun at home this time, I need to figure out what I can use that I have, or if I need to make a small investment to stay within the law on this route and other trips.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't you take a secondary road around that spit of stupid Maryland and avoid the state completely? Even if it added an hour to the trip it would be worth it in my humble opinion. I sense that with your wife being pregnant you really don't want to leave your gun at home. So don't. Look at a road map and find a different travel route.

Going to Commie York is a different ball of wax altogether. I'd avoid that state like the plague. Have them come to visit you. Even offer to pay for their gas costs. You'd have to pay it to go there anyway. At least you are able to protect them while they are in your home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    F!@# MD.
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Actually, the law DOES allow open carry IF you have a CCW permit.
    Doesn't matter IF you can get a CCW permit, because it's pretty much damn near impossible for joe average to get a CCW permit in MD (may issue-based). ... and you'd need a pretty good substantial reason to get one - and no "self-defense" does not constitute of a good enough reason

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Can't you take a secondary road around that spit of stupid Maryland and avoid the state completely? Even if it added an hour to the trip it would be worth it in my humble opinion. I sense that with your wife being pregnant you really don't want to leave your gun at home. So don't. Look at a road map and find a different travel route.

Going to Commie York is a different ball of wax altogether. I'd avoid that state like the plague. Have them come to visit you. Even offer to pay for their gas costs. You'd have to pay it to go there anyway. At least you are able to protect them while they are in your home.
    I understand your sentiment, but altering the route adds a good bit due to mountains. For New York, my father in law has a cabin on his family's land there. It's way out in no mans land and is a truly nice get away. Just sucks its New York. At least I can make due to get my pistol there.

The wife and I actually had a good discussion about it today. She frequently does not get it, but I think now that our family is growing... And after an incident her and her mom had, she sees it more my way now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, revisiting this. Heading to New York in a week and a half. To legally transport my pistol to my destination in New York, as far as having the gun and mag separate and locked, what qualifies?

I found some soft padded pistol cases that can accommodate a lock, is that sufficient? Or do I need to have something hard sided like the small locking pistol boxes? I want to do this right, but inexpensively. This is not something I will need to do often so I'm thinking $50 and under for what I would need.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question for the Maryland folks regarding transport of a gun

Soft case should suffice in md.

Heading up i81?