Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Stock" On An AR Pistol?

Anyone ever seen anything about cutting a stock and installing it onto a pistol for a cheek rest?

Something like that? (But much nicer...) Maybe on something like an STR cut and epoxied up to be un-movable?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chances are good that BATFE will consider this an SBR because the part was designed and intended to be used as a stock.

The SigArms SB-15 is probably what you want.

mbogo

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think CAA makes some abortion that resembles that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just looking for an easy fix before my stamp came. No big deal.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I think CAA makes some abortion that resembles that.
    I've seen and heard a lot of people talking smack (no offense) about the CAA cheek weld. In my experience, its a great sturdy piece that is a great addition to a standard mil-spec type stock. I'm not quite sure why it carries such a bad opinion from some. I've had 2 of them when I first got into AR's and my .22lr still wears one. As far as money goes, its way cheaper and accomplishes the same things as many stocks that cost many times more money.

Without being a douche, mind if I ask why you think its an "abortion" per se? Is it because its not a Vltor, Bravo, Magpul or B5 that are so popular?

Again, I dont ask in vain or to be negative, I'm really just trying to understand why its carries such a negative view from others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can get the CAA cheek weld and tube cover for a milspec or commercial spec tube and use the milspec tube as a pistol tube. Cost is around $80 or so for Thordsen Custom. Then, just take it off and put the stock on the tube when the tax stamp comes in. Either that, or just use a pistol tube with a foam cover until the tax stamp comes in. ATF has already ruled those parts legal.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just built an 11.5" pistol using the Thordsen RE, cover and CAA saddle. I'm impressed as hell with it to the point I have no desire for a SIG brace. I'm not shouldering it, I'm relying on cheek weld which works really well. I just have to remember not to NTCH.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For my build, I chose the Thordsen Enhanced Pistol kit. The cheek rest is good, should be able to replace the CAA one with a Magpul one. All artwork created in AI.

- QD Ambi 80% billet lower
    - Aero Precision upper
    - Aimpoint Comp M3 2MOA
    - ARMS 71 MBUS
    - Standard US Mil trigger group
    - Battle Arms Development - Ambi FC Controls
    - SPIKES buffer - Standard Carbine
    - KNS SPIKES Anti Rotation Pins
    - Thordsen Pistol Cover - Enhanced
    - Law Tactical Gen 3 Folder
    - Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle
    - Mapgul Pmag - The best mag ever.
    - FerFrans Muzzle Brake + Blast deflector
    - CMMG 12.5" 5.56 Nitride Barrel
    - Centurion Arms CMR 11"
    - Standard Phosphate Bolt Carrier - MPI/Blah..Blah..Blah...

Downloads
    Uploads
    CAA, carbine buffer with some padding or cover, or sig brace

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Either that, or just use a pistol tube with a foam cover until the tax stamp comes in. ATF has already ruled those parts legal.
    Yes, but isn't that AFT ruling for both parts separate? It was my understanding that the ATF didn't have a ruling for use of both together.

Quote Originally Posted by freebug View Post
    For my build, I chose the Thordsen Enhanced Pistol kit. The cheek rest is good, should be able to replace the CAA one with a Magpul one. All artwork created in AI.
    Any complaints about the saddle? Have been considering the Thordsen kit for my pistol build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The CAA worked well for me. The reason I took it off is facial hair. Every pull of the trigger would pinch a hair or two and yank it out of my face. Got real old after a mag or two.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ksenter View Post
    I've seen and heard a lot of people talking smack (no offense) about the CAA cheek weld. In my experience, its a great sturdy piece that is a great addition to a standard mil-spec type stock. I'm not quite sure why it carries such a bad opinion from some. I've had 2 of them when I first got into AR's and my .22lr still wears one. As far as money goes, its way cheaper and accomplishes the same things as many stocks that cost many times more money.

Without being a douche, mind if I ask why you think its an "abortion" per se? Is it because its not a Vltor, Bravo, Magpul or B5 that are so popular?

Again, I dont ask in vain or to be negative, I'm really just trying to understand why its carries such a negative view from others.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The OP discussion was about a pistol, not about adding a CAA cheek weld to a stock. The question was would a stick cut off to be a pistol tube buffer be legal. The correct answer is 'probably not' since the ATF hasn't approved it. However, putting Thorsen Customs buffer tube cover on WITH the CAA cheek weld is perfectly legal. This particular discussion is about an AR pistol design, not about adding a cheek weld to a normal stick. If a stock get's put on an AR pistol it becomes a short barreled rifle that needs a $200 tax stamp from the BATF.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CAA fits on a Thordsen for pistol builds. The CAA is cheaply made but works.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by freebug View Post
    CAA fits on a Thordsen for pistol builds. The CAA is cheaply made but works.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    That's what I was looking at doing until I measured the diameter of the Phase 5 pistol tube and noticed that the diameter is about 1/4th of an inch over what the Thordsens tube cover can fit. So, I'm just going to leave mine with tube and foam pad. Besides, I have 3 more foam pads I can use