Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Budget makeover for a Armalite AR-15

So a friend dropped off this thing with me last week along with his $400 and said make it better. He wanted a weapon light, a RDS that didn't look into the base of the front sight post, a quad rail, and a VFG.

So I looked for deals and this is what I came up with:

MI 2-piece drop in 9" quad, PA RDS 30mm 3MOA w/ mount, PA 700 Lumen Gen II Weapon Light, BCM VFG, Magpul MOE Stock and Grip and a MS1 Sling

VFG, Sling and light mount have not made it here should be Thursday.

Recommending to him to pick up a rear magpul mbus sight. I was going to pick it up but he really wanted the stock and grip over the rear mbus for now.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Decent looking makeover!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think he made very good use of this $400 to be honest. Personally, if that was my budget, I would have gone with:

Magpul MOE Handguards
    Magpul MVG (for his vertical grip)
    Used Aimpoint or a PRO on sale.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't think he made very good use of this $400 to be honest. Personally, if that was my budget, I would have gone with:

Magpul MOE Handguards
    He wanted a quad, I tried to talk him into B5 furniture or MOE even showed him my M&P 15 Magpul MOE edition. He didn't want plastic handguards. So I tried to talk him to a free float but he wanted new stock, grip, a weapon light and a different red dot. The RDS on it was a BSA wally world special. I told him with what he requested as a requirements puts everything else at budget items. He said he was ok with that. So I think I stretched the $400 decently at filling his requirements of wants.

I personally would have just bought a new PRO and slowly build a rifle that fit my wants/needs.

Hard to make $400 go far when he is dead set on a rail, new stock and grip,
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul MOE Handguards
    I agree completely but I will say he(comp) pinged ideas on what to do bc the guy didn't want the mentioned things. The guy was adamant about wanting a "quad rail"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured you tried to talk him into other options.

I mean other than his optic not facing the FSB. he didn't improve his carbine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Copy I can agree with that. I was going to put him in a Vortex sparc after he was adamant about quad. But then he said he had to have a light, and wanted a stock like my M&P 15 and a different grip something without finger grooves or indexes. Ride and Dstr showed me the deals that Joe Bob had on the MOE stock and grip. Left very little for the optic. I picked up the PA RDS. Had a few bucks left over grabbed him a VFG, another friend is sending me a never used MS1 sling that I will put on this.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    dsgarms.com has some good deals going on moe kits. Lots currently out of stock though, I ordered Saturday and it now shows out of stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Improve" is such a subjective thing. That fella will probably be tickled pink that Comp dialed him in to what he wanted within his budget. It may not meet my definition, yours U Dubya, or anyone else's of "improving" the gun, but if he's happy, that's what REALLY counts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good work. How long is that barrel? What is your impression of the MI drop in? I was about to go that route at one point but found a DD quad rail on sale at an excellent price so was able to go that route. I personally hate the look of the MOE plastic handguards and think the quad looks better, but I also don't expect to every by a quad again. Some times people just want something because they just want it. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually never noticed that PA had their own line of lights. What's your take on them?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    "Improve" is such a subjective thing. That fella will probably be tickled pink that Comp dialed him in to what he wanted within his budget. It may not meet my definition, yours U Dubya, or anyone else's of "improving" the gun, but if he's happy, that's what REALLY counts.
    Well, improving the gun and then there is improving aesthetically.

Heck, that keeps the gun industry going! After he realizes he needs another $400 to improve what he already though he improved

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, improving the gun and then there is improving aesthetically.

Heck, that keeps the gun industry going, and guys like me and Stickman and B Cubed in business taking pictures! After he realizes he needs another $400 to improve what he already though he improved
    FIFY...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Good work. How long is that barrel? What is your impression of the MI drop in? I was about to go that route at one point but found a DD quad rail on sale at an excellent price so was able to go that route. I personally hate the look of the MOE plastic handguards and think the quad looks better, but I also don't expect to every by a quad again. Some times people just want something because they just want it. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually never noticed that PA had their own line of lights. What's your take on them?
    Barrel is 16" Mid-Length gas system. The MI is nice fit and finish. Snapped in with ease and no wiggle. The 2 pieces lock up nice together. When looking at them I actually tried talking him into the keymod or m-lok version but he really wanted a quad. I am seriously thinking about getting the keymod version for my M&P 15 and snapping an arisaka light mount on it.

The PA compact weapon light out of the box is solid. Not super heavy and its kinda big in my opinion but man it solid. Feels well constructed in my hand and it lights up a dark hallway pretty good. The button on the back is nice you need to really push to get the positive click for constant on but using for momentary is easy.

Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    FIFY...
    There's a big difference, Stick gets paid, pictures is a hobby for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty amazed. I would've bet money it couldn't be done for $400.....
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper