Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread is a little different then i thought i would be reading..lol..anyways..what constitutes a build for me , pretty easy....money.......lol...........

Thinking i need a 308 build in my collection...so let the saving begin...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Calling any assemblage of parts into an AR a "build" is lame. As is the contractor analogy.

I've come to associate both with people that are more interested in Internet picture posting and safe-stuffing than actually shooting the guns.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Calling any assemblage of parts into an AR a "build" is lame. As is the contractor analogy.

I've come to associate both with people that are more interested in Internet picture posting and safe-stuffing than actually shooting the guns.
    Did you read the dictionary definition of what 'to build' actually means that I posted? I don't 'safe stuff' - shit, I don't even have a safe! Out here where I live a safe isn't necessary at all! My rifles are in racks in my walls and I USE them.

Have you ever 'built' a rifle? If so, how did you do it? Did you forge and machine the receivers? Did you forge the metal for the barrel, then drill it out and rifle it? Did you manually machine the pins and springs?...

If you say that you have 'built' a rifle, then by your own statement you are stating you yourself are lame for saying so.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Thinking i need a 308 build in my collection...so let the saving begin...
    This I most definitely agree with A .308 is in my future for sure. I need to retire my Lee Enfield .303 as my hunting rifle. She's getting a bit up there in age.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Here's an example of what I consider "not a build".

Recently I came (long story) across a "one time only" exceptional deal on a DPMS .308 Oracle. It was fork over the cash now, or take a pass. Since I could actually have the evidence that it didn't have even a full box of ammo shot through it, and I'd had the little voice in my head telling me I needed an AR-10 for quite a while, I took the bait and bought it.

After playing with it for a while, I found out I didn't like much about it. The crappy 2 piece cheap plastic hand guard, the odd railed block 1/2 inch or so below the rail on the rifle, the crappy stock, the trigger, nothing.

So, the WWW rescued me. Ordered a match grade NiB BCG, a CMC 3.5lb. "flat" trigger, a new gas block, a MI 15" KMR free float hand guard, a Bravo Company MOD 3 .308 version CH, a CRT Stock, an ERGO AR 10 grip from Larue Tactical, a Lantac Dragon muzzle brake, and some MBUS sights. Basically I just swapped out parts. The only real "work" I did, was that the MI gas block that DPMS promised would be a perfect replacement, didn't, and I had to mill in the dimples to make it work.

I really don't consider that a build, just me swapping out some parts. A "modification" if you will. I wasn't quite sure, but I thought I heard a voice from far away, from a big white house in D.C. yell out, "YOU DIDN"T BUILD THAT"!!!..hmmm now I'm confused as to what to call it, except for my AR-10.
    I agree FT - I wouldn't consider it a build myself either if I had done it. A 'rebuild' maybe, but not a build. This applies also to changing an old car to a hot rod that has been mentioned. The car was 'rebuilt' into a hot rod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic... lol...
    Yup it was a play on him complaining about people not liking his "I am better than you because I have a Bridgeport" reply

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess my post was incomplete. I should have included this, too:

syn·o·nym
    /ˈsinəˌnim/

noun
    a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language
    "build" and "assemble" mean the exact same thing. Literally.

It just so happens that ARs are ridiculously easy to "build" so it does make it hard for people with actual machining / gunsmithing skills to show off their talents. If I actually had such talents, I'd probably be building HK roller-locks from flats or at least building all my ARs from 80% lowers. But, I have no such talents which is why I love the AR. But I also think this is why there is such an industry around aftermarket components for the AR: the people with actual machining / gunsmithing skills turned their attention to making replacement parts that improve the platform (e.g., Bill Geissele) and sell them to guys like me who can only "build" ARs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not to put words in Rob's mouth but I think he's just saying does it really matter whether or not it's a build? Personally I don't care if someone calls it a build, an upgrade or an assembled group of parts. Does it matter if a kid says look what I assembled out of Legos, or do they need to say look what I built?

P.S. I'm not into safe stuffing cause I don't have the revenue, but I do like internet pictures.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    FT - if you buy a prefab house, all the parts are there. When you assemble the house, did you build it? You'll have had to use a hammer and nails for sure. By the definition you're trying to purport, you would only have assembled the house. You wouldn't have built it. The AR is the same as the prefab house in this context. It's just smaller than a house is all and the tools used to put it together are different.
    Learn to read, Will. I haven't tried to purport shit. I just asked a question.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark1 View Post
    Yup it was a play on him complaining about people not liking his "I am better than you because I have a Bridgeport" reply
    Hey asshat, take a reading comprehension course, then please go back and point out, where in this thread I said "I am better than you because I have a Bridgeport". Show me where I said I have a Bridgeport. I have access to one. Want to discuss it? My PM box is open for business. Loser.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads

And there is the very attitude I mentioned earlier. I find it ironic that you're commenting on a forum that essentially is filled with industry photographers and people who enjoy photography yet you want to belittle them. There's a word for that it's called hypocrisy. There's nothing lame about the contractor analogy, but what is lame is someone who offers no valid counterpoint much like a previous discussion where you popped up to essentially abase others here as being nothing more than internet junkies who don't shoot. That's lame...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't care what it's called but taking a few boxes of parts and spending time putting it all together yourself is fun and a great way to learn more about the platform. Hand picking components and tailoring the rifle to your goals results in a rifle that isn't almost perfect for you, it is perfect for you.

Call it what you want - that's just semantics in my book.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jymbeux View Post
    I don't care what it's called but taking a few boxes of parts and spending time putting it all together yourself is fun and a great way to learn more about the platform. Hand picking components and tailoring the rifle to your goals results in a rifle that isn't almost perfect for you, it is perfect for you.

Call it what you want - that's just semantics in my book.
    Very well put, with no name calling.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    And there is the very attitude I mentioned earlier. I find it ironic that you're commenting on a forum that essentially is filled with industry photographers and people who enjoy photography yet you want to belittle them. There's a word for that it's called hypocrisy. There's nothing lame about the contractor analogy, but what is lame is someone who offers no valid counterpoint much like a previous discussion where you popped up to essentially abase others here as being nothing more than internet junkies who don't shoot. That's lame...
    Hey ordnance.... no need to get mad. I don't agree with Rob_S, but this thread is going south pretty quickly and people are getting rubbed the wrong way. it (this thread) started with an honest and simple question, that solicited responses, not hurling insults or being insulted. I had one asshat here already tell me he was responding to where I said "I was better than everybody because I have a Bridgeport". Neither is true, and there is no such post on here. Just an asshat who's probably just here for the GAW and will be gone soon. (just my guess).

Rob_S, you're an intelligent guy. I read it in your posts, and once in a while on your blog, TYV. You can post an opinion without calling folks names. Leave that to folks who post false information as in the above paragraph.

Let's not have Rich shut this down, because folks can't be intellectually honest or civil. There's more depth to the replies (well for the most part), than I thought there would be, except for "butt hurt" guy and his imaginary Bridgeport conjecture. Also there is nothing personal here, such as political or theological discussions, so no one should have to put up with insults, or get their feathers ruffled.

I think the whole thing is based on perspective. And I enjoy reading diversified perspectives, as we all should.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Hey ordnance.... no need to get mad. I don't agree with Rob_S, but this thread is going south pretty quickly and people are getting rubbed the wrong way. it (this thread) started with an honest and simple question, that solicited responses, not hurling insults or being insulted. I had one asshat here already tell me he was responding to where I said "I was better than everybody because I have a Bridgeport". Neither is true, and there is no such post on here. Just an asshat who's probably just here for the GAW and will be gone soon. (just my guess).

Rob_S, you're an intelligent guy. I read it in your posts, and once in a while on your blog, TYV. You can post an opinion without calling folks names. Leave that to folks who post false information as in the above paragraph.

Let's not have Rich shut this down, because folks can't be intellectually honest or civil. There's more depth to the replies (well for the most part), than I thought there would be, except for "butt hurt" guy and his imaginary Bridgeport conjecture. Also there is nothing personal here, such as political or theological discussions, so no one should have to put up with insults, or get their feathers ruffled.

I think the whole thing is based on perspective. And I enjoy reading diversified perspectives, as we all should.
    FT as I was trying to lighten the mood earlier, but I'm newer here and yet this is the second time Rob has shown up to impart his wisdom upon us which is less than stellar. I'm not offended but annoyed since guys like that give other people in the industry a bad image IMO. This is me being blunt when people who think their God's gift to shooting come on-line to talk trash about others on-line. I have zero tolerance for hypocrites.