Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnance View Post
    FT as I was trying to lighten the mood earlier, but I'm newer here and yet this is the second time Rob has shown up to impart his wisdom upon us which is less than stellar. I'm not offended but annoyed since guys like that give other people in the industry a bad image IMO. This is me being blunt when people who think their God's gift to shooting come on-line to talk trash about others on-line. I have zero tolerance for hypocrites.
    Just don't sweat it. You're opinion has been heard and is respected at least as much as anyone else's.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/build

"to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole"

I think it's pretty clear from the above definition that is what most of us do with respect to a "build". We acquire a pile of parts and unite them into an AR rifle/pistol/whatever. Taking a completely assembled upper and pinning it to a completely assembled lower is a stretch for "building" a gun, as I interpret the definition of building.

Personally, as a former homebuilder, remodeling contractor, and high end cabinetry and woodworking contractor, I can appreciate the house building analogy. Building homes, additions, and cabinetry projects takes a little more skill than assembling the parts of a typical AR rifle. Doing fine cabinetry, finish carpentry is a craft that requires skills a lot of folks simply do not have. Building an AR is not really difficult, and doesn't take a lot of intelligence or mad skills. There is a huge difference between taking the raw materials that have to be cut, sanded, planed, fit, etc. to create cabinets, a built in entertainment center, or wall of book shelves, and assembling a pre-fab kit from some place like IKEA or Sauder Woodworking. I would equate building an AR to the latter; you are simply taking finished parts manufactured to a pre-set size/specification, and assembling them into a unit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/build

"to form by ordering and uniting materials by gradual means into a composite whole"

I think it's pretty clear from the above definition that is what most of us do with respect to a "build". We acquire a pile of parts and unite them into an AR rifle/pistol/whatever. Taking a completely assembled upper and pinning it to a completely assembled lower is a stretch for "building" a gun, as I interpret the definition of building.

Personally, as a former homebuilder, remodeling contractor, and high end cabinetry and woodworking contractor, I can appreciate the house building analogy. Building homes, additions, and cabinetry projects takes a little more skill than assembling the parts of a typical AR rifle. Doing fine cabinetry, finish carpentry is a craft that requires skills a lot of folks simply do not have. Building an AR is not really difficult, and doesn't take a lot of intelligence or mad skills. There is a huge difference between taking the raw materials that have to be cut, sanded, planed, fit, etc. to create cabinets, a built in entertainment center, or wall of book shelves, and assembling a pre-fab kit from some place like IKEA or Sauder Woodworking. I would equate building an AR to the latter; you are simply taking finished parts manufactured to a pre-set size/specification, and assembling them into a unit.
    You're talking about finish carpentry and cabinetry details which require more exacting standards than say a Quadrant home with even prefabbed walls and trusses. It's like comparing a match rifle builder who contours, chambers, headspaces, etc to a guy who subs out those tasks to someone else who's more suited for it much like a finish carpenter, cabinet maker, or painter. Doesn't change the fact that I would hope you wouldn't tell the pick-up carpenters on-site they're just assemblers because frankly I know guys who are GREAT finish carpenters but they couldn't frame a house if their life depended on it even with prefab. Or the cabinet makers who may know how to make a great cabinet but couldn't paint like someone who's sole profession was such.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why is this even a thread and people arguing semantics?

Build or Assembly, call it what you want, in the end you end up with the same thing. An AR15.

I think we're done here.