Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is your shooting stance?

I recently got the latest version of the Magpul AFG for Christmas.... It was quickly installed and I have to say that I really like it. For me the most comfortable way is to put my left pointer finger around that front nub. I did find one issue though... installing that in certain positions causes one or the other of those two t-nuts to hit my gas block. It won't let the T nut rotate into a locked position.

I think this is easy to fix...with a small piece of fine grit sand paper on the top of that 25 cent t-nut and it can be problem solved.

That though has me thinking about proper placement of that type of grip and proper shooting technique. Should I mount the grip forward so that I my left arm is a bit more straight or should I mount it a bit more back where my left arm is bent slightly? Or should I try something in the middle? I've seen people shoot where they hold the mag well and I've seen people way more stretched out with their left arm.

For me, none of those positions are uncomfortable although holding the mag well is the least comfortable position. It feels kind of awkward. As for sheer comfort I find a combination of the second click on my buffer tube with a grip further out toward the front. It gives me the right eye relief and comfort.

So here is the question to the forum what is your shooting position? Is there a more 'right way' or is it merely a matter of preference?

What about your feet? Do you try to keep them shoulder width apart and square or is one or the other a 'forward foot'?

Any ideas or opinions? I am interested to hear what other people are doing and if there is some kind of fancy tactical reason to do it one way vs another? What are your ideas and/or professional opinions?
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 December 2014 at 22:44.

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hold as far forward as is comfortable, in a C-clamp? style grip. Right up by the FSB on a carbine, behind the FSB on a mid...

Some people do the over-exaggerated over-hand Christ Costa style grip.... If it works for them, that's cool.

Well, I actually have a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpwB6v_q-6Q

Here's my little bro, a little more of an old-school grip and support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys2Ec_qIMro
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My feet are usually square and shoulder width apart for both handguns and rifles. For my AR's I use stubby VFG's, I have part of my hand of the VFG with my thumb over bore. I like this grip cause I can apply back pressure and hold the muzzle a little more steady during rapid fire. This grip gives me about the same wrist angle as those who use an AFG without adding extra girth to the handguard. I try to hold as far forward as possible without bringing my shoulder into my field of view. If you reach to far forward your shoulder can hamper your vision. I've tried handstops but have never been able to do as well with them.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard some say to square up because if you're shot it lowers the possibility of the bullet penetrating multiple organs. I don't know why I do it, I blame it on my childhood.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a side note I am going to contact Magpul. I am disappointed that I am having to grind their part to make it fit a standard rifle with at minimum mil spec components...

Just sayin'...venting... If anyone has contacts at Magpul...

OK... back to the subject...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on the rifle I'm shooting. One rifle(DMR) I shoot palm flat 4 inches in front of the magwell, chicken wing with my trigger arm, my torso rotated slightly feet in an L bracket shape about shoulder width.

My 16" rifles I tend to square off, feet shoulder width apart. The carbine I hold the magwell with my lead hand. The 12" rail I tend to hold squared feet, arm straight, thumb over rail.
    It's difficult to soar with eagles, when you work with turkeys...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    My feet are usually square and shoulder width apart for both handguns and rifles. For my AR's I use stubby VFG's, I have part of my hand of the VFG with my thumb over bore. I like this grip cause I can apply back pressure and hold the muzzle a little more steady during rapid fire. This grip gives me about the same wrist angle as those who use an AFG without adding extra girth to the handguard. I try to hold as far forward as possible without bringing my shoulder into my field of view. If you reach to far forward your shoulder can hamper your vision. I've tried handstops but have never been able to do as well with them.
    I FINALLY got done rubbing the crap out of that little T nut on a whet stone... it took me over an hour. I should have used a dremmel but I didn't want to over do it. I had to take quite a bit off to make the AFG fit. Without my modification I had to physically flex my barrel to install the AFG and then when I let it go the barrel rested on the T nut in flexed position... not cool. Magpul really needs to come up with a solution here. I had to shave down the T nut and the allen screw both. The screw was too long and the nut was too thick....

But as for my grip... the way I have it set up is my AFG is far forward and if I put my pointer finger around the front nub of the foregrip and my thumb over the top it feels pretty comfortable. I will test it out.

I have a hand stop as well, but I find it pretty uncomfortable. I haven't really 'gotten it' yet when it comes to those, even though I own one.

As for pistols, I did an experiment not too long ago... maybe a month or so ago. I found myself at a fun range, er gun range...I usually don't pay to shoot but in this case I did... I wanted to have a controlled test. I tried shooting pistols with different stances and different grips. Merely by moving one foot slightly back to where I wasn't 'square' there was a noticeable difference in my shot groups. With my feet square my shot groups were substantially better.

I tried the experiment with 5 different pistols and with all 5 it had the same results. The lesson? For me, square my feet to the target. It didn't matter if I shot one handed or two... my feet made the difference in my groups.

As for a rifle, I don't know. I will have to try it out and find out...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by camomike View Post
    Depends on the rifle I'm shooting. One rifle(DMR) I shoot palm flat 4 inches in front of the magwell, chicken wing with my trigger arm, my torso rotated slightly feet in an L bracket shape about shoulder width.

My 16" rifles I tend to square off, feet shoulder width apart. The carbine I hold the magwell with my lead hand. The 12" rail I tend to hold squared feet, arm straight, thumb over rail.
    Yes it definitely depends on what you are shooting. I went and shot a friend's MP5 and his MP40 (he has more money than he knows what to do with so he has one of each)...with those I adopted a completely different stance than I am trying out on my AR. I am going to test things out with the AR, but with those H&K rifles I had to compensate for the fully auto rate of fire. The recoil isn't bad.... hell it was 9mm and .40 cal but still...I was putting the butt stock more center frame and I was leaning into the shots more.

Too bad I don't own those so I can perfect my H&K techniques :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Some people do the over-exaggerated over-hand Christ Costa style grip.... If it works for them, that's cool.
    You mean like this? LOL

What I am going to try out is not quite that far... my left thumb print rests on the top of my flat top and my left pointer finger is around the front of the AFG...My left arm also isn't completely straight either. Even though it's far forward it's still bent a little. This part I will play around with as to exactly how far forward I need to go with the grip.

I am not sure which if any technique is considered 'correct' or 'more effective'...
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 December 2014 at 22:50.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    For my AR's I use stubby VFG's
    I have a stubby VFG on my AK... The furniture got swapped out so it does have rails on it LOL. I've never really tried taking a methodical approach to that gun though... to some degree yes, but not like I have with others....at least not yet. I did site it in and get to where I can hit something with it... I added a ghost ring to the back and figured out it's quirks to some degree... but not much other than that.

At least I know the right aim point... I can hit decent for an AK at 100 yards with that one.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 28 December 2014 at 22:53.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    On a side note I am going to contact Magpul. I am disappointed that I am having to grind their part to make it fit a standard rifle with at minimum mil spec components...

Just sayin'...venting... If anyone has contacts at Magpul...

OK... back to the subject...

Just go to Magpul's web page and send them a contact message. they'll get back to you in within a couple days. I did that for the missing set screw I needed and they got back to me and simply sent it to me.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For rifles I put my left foot slightly ahead of my right, take up an athletic stance (think getting low if you were to be tackled) with some weight on the balls of my feet but not overexerted. I pull the rifle tight against the inside of my pec and roll my shoulder in seemingly trapping the buttstock, and press my cheek aggressively against the stock. My fire control hand goes as high on the backstrap of the pistol grip as possible (thats why I prefer the UCWRG). I use a vtac sling so i pull that in tight and wrap it around my left bicep close to my body. My left hand goes about 8" out on the rail where I'm comfortable and not overextended with my thumb running down the center of the pic rail and basically pointing at my target. I use a small handstop as leverage to pull back on with the rest of my left hand.

That's about it...oh and the Lantac Dragon, Blue Sprinco and H1 buffer help aswell

Pistol is to hard to type. Just buy some rounds and do some 3-4 shot burns and you'll get the hang of it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    You mean like this? LOL

What I am going to try out is not quite that far... my left thumb print rests on the top of my flat top and my left pointer finger is around the front of the AFG...My left arm also isn't completely straight either. Even though it's far forward it's still bent a little. This part I will play around with as to exactly how far forward I need to go with the grip.

I am not sure which if any technique is considered 'correct' or 'more effective'...
    I know reaching out this far has become very popular and does a very good job at keeping the muzzle steady. But the trade off is if you look at the position of his left arm it partially obstructs his view.

I prefer a grip similar to this.

His left arm is in a better position not obstructing his view from the left. But then again I guess it's what works best for you. I've seen some people hold their rifles in some weird positions and shoot lights out.
    Last edited by GOST; 29 December 2014 at 02:26.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    We shoot very similarly then Gost, you just did a better job of explaining. These were quick 6am photos so no laughing but this is basically my grip, and unobstructed view through a RDS.

I just tossed my PA rd onto my noveske rail for demo, with a handstop it would be more ergonomically correct because I refrence my grip off of one.

But hey what works for me, might be terrible for others. Best advice, dry fire until your sick of it and then dry fire some more

Downloads
    Uploads
    I shoot pretty much the same as DutyUse and GOST. My support thumb runs along the rail, pointing at the target at about the 45° mark. The rest of my support hand sits right at the transition between rail and stubby vertical grip. My feet are almost squared up, with the support side foot slightly forward and knees slightly bent.