Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Homemade "Shoot and See" targets

I got tired of plain old targets a while back and either print homemade one's off the computer, or when I want something a little less ordinary, I make a few of these for the range. Store bought shoot and see targets are pretty pricy, but all you need is some bright neon construction paper, clear packing tape, and spray paint that contrasts with the paper (yellow paper, blue or black paint)

STEP ONE:
    Coat a sheet of paper evenly with a layer of packing tape

STEP TWO:
    Paint it (yes this was a hard pic to take)

STEP THREE:
    Shoot it!!

These shots were .223 caliber; it makes a bigger "splash" if you use something like 9mm or .45 ACP.

I've made Bullseyes in the targets by putting a black dot in the middle of the yellow paper, then putting a yellow spray paint over that, then the rest black paint like normal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's pretty cool...unless I'm shooting from a bench with my spotting scope, I can rarely see the holes in the target past 35 yards or so. I should just take an afternoon and make up bunch of these..
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. And you can just keep patching and painting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a different color scheme. Flat paint vs shiny or satin (pictured) helps reduce glare in the sun

Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I was the only one who knew this trick

Got tired of free handing spray painting, so made a template. Center circle is roughly 3" with the outer ring at 12". Tough target at 300+

Here's a few of the redneck PVC target holders I made for under 12$ a piece

Yes I realize this was for "Shoot-N-C", but I'm too lazy to find photos of our home-made ones lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    oohhhh i like both of your ideas thanks guys
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be damned, great little trick I will be using this. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use E-Type silhouettes as my target holders and made some little holders out of 2x4s, then got even lighter and used 1x1s.

Just stand the target up in them after stapling whatever to it

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome, guys! What a great way to save some money on targets. And i dig the pvc stands. I was thinking of making some from steel, but the pvc will be way cheaper and easier to work with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Homemade "Shoot and See" targets

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Awesome, guys! What a great way to save some money on targets. And i dig the pvc stands. I was thinking of making some from steel, but the pvc will be way cheaper and easier to work with.
    11B idea/design will probably be easier. I really like them :)

Good thing about the PVC ones I make though are the targets are about 5' off the ground. Make sure If u use pvc get the glue/sealant that goes with it. Bonds them like steel. The only consumable is the pieces of wood.

When I got more time I'll do a write up on how to make them and dimensions.

Edit: and a HD staple gun is a must. I found one at lowes for under 10$. Normally stapler wouldn't cut it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have seen the stands before. Both styles are nice good to mix up shooting heights for shot transitions. I like the shoot and see targets and think I will do some 8x11's for body and then grab some florescent 3x5 cards for heads should be fun next range visit.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    11B idea/design will probably be easier. I really like them :)

Good thing about the PVC ones I make though are the targets are about 5' off the ground. Make sure If u use pvc get the glue/sealant that goes with it. Bonds them like steel. The only consumable is the pieces of wood.

When I got more time I'll do a write up on how to make them and dimensions.

Edit: and a HD staple gun is a must. I found one at lowes for under 10$. Normally stapler wouldn't cut it
    Mine work for bench/prone shooting for 300m and closer. Pistol shooting or rifle shooting at further ranges tall ones like yours would be very useful

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh btw, we found that the value brand saran wrap is a lot cheaper and covers faster then packing tape. Only thing is after about 40-50 shots you gotta redo it all, no patches...still tho

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Oh btw, we found that the value brand saran wrap is a lot cheaper and covers faster then packing tape. Only thing is after about 40-50 shots you gotta redo it all, no patches...still tho
    I'll give it a try....what do you do, tape it to the back of the paper and stretch it over tightly? When shot, the tape works well because it still sticks, just reveals the color in small patches. Since the Saran wrap doesn't stick all over I wonder how it goes. I'll have to test it tomorrow