Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

.300 BLK Pistol Build

Just completed my .300 BLK pistol build.

Here are the specs:

Lower:
    Receiver: Aero Precision, Forged Lower
    LPK: Rock River Arms, minus FCG, except I had to swap the mag catch with a part from a Daniel Defense LPK on another build
    FCG: LMT (leftover from upgrading the trigger in my LMT)
    Buffer Assy: KAK Industry Super Sig SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube Kit including standard carbine buffer and spring
    Endplate: Noveske QD
    Pistol Grip: Umbrella Grip 13

Upper:
    Upper Receiver: Aero Precision M4E1
    Handguard: Aero Precision 9" Enhanced KeyMod
    Barrel: Ballistic Advantage 8.5" Premium Series, 416 Stainless Steel
    Gas: Ballistic Advantage melonite coated pistol length gas tube with BA QPQ lo-pro gas block, pinned to barrel by BA
    Muzzle Device: Kaw Valley Precision .308 5/8x24 Linear Comp
    BCG: Rainier Arms
    Optics: PA Micro on DD mount with Magpul back-up sights

The Aero Precision M4E1 upper reciever made barrel installation pretty simple:

The BA barrel was a very tight fit. I used a heat gun to heat up the reciever which allowed me to easily insert the barrel extension. Lining up the pin was a bit tricky since you can't see the slot.

Here is a close up of the Ballistic Advantage barrel, gas block, and gas tube:

The Kaw Valley Linear comp gave me just the extra length I needed to be able to use the 9" handguard with my 8.5" barrel:

The M4E1 also made installation of the handguard a trivial task:

The only issue I had was there is a screw that blocks in the ejection port cover rod that needed an extra half turn to fully sink so the handguard wouldn't bind on it during installation. You can see it in this picture:

Not too much to say about the lower. It looks like I managed to grab one of the last Grip 23 before they became so scarce recently. I may eventually upgrade the trigger, but this ultimately for a home defense gun so I think I prefer a stock trigger.

I expect to suppress this eventually, but probably not until next year. I'll probably pick up the SB-15, too, but am in no hurry.

Range report to follow. I think I should be able to get out to the range tomorrow afternoon. I'm very curious to learn what kind of accuracy I can get out of the BA barrel.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 4 January 2015 at 07:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice! I am waiting on few last parts to complete mine =)
    +++++++++

Everyday is a good day!

Downloads
    Uploads

Range report

Made it to the range this afternoon to test out the new build. Rainy day here kept the crowds away so I actually had the range to myself which was pretty nice:

I put a few rounds into the berm as a function check, visually inspected the barrel and bolt, then settled in to zero my red dot at 25 yards. I was using Fiocchi 150 gr FMJBT which is about as cheap of a factory load as you can get right now and doesn't have the best reputation for accuracy. But, with 9 rounds I got it close enough for a red dot:

Then I moved over to a 50 foot bay to zero in using the 220 gr loads at 20 feet. I was very happy when my first three rounds went into the same hole. It didn't take long to re-zero for this load / range. My final test shots produced this:

I know that 20 feet doesn't show what the barrel is or is not capable of, but since the primary role of this pistol is intended for home defense, I was happy to demonstrate to myself that I can put shots precisely where I need them at close range.

After that exercise, I loaded up some more of the cheap stuff, moved the target back to 50 feet, and just had some fun.

I put about 70-80 rounds down range and had zero malfunctions.

This was my first time ever shooting an AR pistol. I have to say that cheek weld on the buffer tube is a bit tricky and the buffer tube kept hitting my shoulder so I may want to get the Sig brace sooner than I was planning after all.

Next step is to pick up some target and hunting rounds, put my 1-4X on it, and see what this is capble of at 100 and 200 yards. But, for my first time out I'm very pleased with the set up.

My only regret today was that I ran out of time and didn't bring enough targets to pull out my .308 as the 200 yards rifle range was empty, too. I was the only shooter at the whole facility. Empty rifle bays isn't something I'm used to seeing:

Downloads
    Uploads
    What range is that?

-john

Downloads
    Uploads

.300 BLK Pistol Build

Looks like a nice functional build. How you like the BA barrel? I also picked one up but in 556 for one of my pistol builds. Seems like a quality company especially for the price. Haven't got to shoot mine yet as Syrac has my Adj GB on BO but I'm expecting good things out of the little 10.5 :)
    Last edited by DutyUse; 4 January 2015 at 21:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks nice congrats
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    What range is that?

-john
    Cascade Shooting Facilities in Ravensdale, WA. I meant to include the requisite "gun at the range" picture, so here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Looks like a nice functional build. How you like the BA barrel? I also picked one up but in 556 for one of my pistol builds. Seems like a quality company especially for the price. Haven't got to shoot mine yet as Syrac has my Adj GB on BO but I'm expecting good things out of the little 10.5 :)
    I'm impressed so far. It seems like a very nice barrel, especially for the price. Fit and finish seems excellent. Customer service was excellent (besides very quick order fulfillment, which included pinning the gas block, I emailed with a follow up question and received a timely and complete response) . But, I'm withholding final judgment until I can run some quality ammo at 100-200 yards using a better optic than my 2 MOA RDS. However, putting five shots in one ragged hole that I can cover with a dime at CQB distances is certainly off to a good start and means that it fulfills the primary intent for the pistol (home defense). If the barrel gives me 1.0 - 1.5 moa out to 150-200 yards, then I'll be very happy and may take it deer hunting next fall. I'll report back once I've obtained the results from that test, but it will likely be a month or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Looks like I'm at the wrong end of town for that one. Always on the lookout tho.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    Build looks nice BTW. I'm slowly collecting parts for an 8.2" 300 BLK pistol and/or SBR.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads

.300 BLK Pistol Build

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Cascade Shooting Facilities in Ravensdale, WA. I meant to include the requisite "gun at the range" picture, so here it is:

I'm impressed so far. It seems like a very nice barrel, especially for the price. Fit and finish seems excellent. Customer service was excellent (besides very quick order fulfillment, which included pinning the gas block, I emailed with a follow up question and received a timely and complete response) . But, I'm withholding final judgment until I can run some quality ammo at 100-200 yards using a better optic than my 2 MOA RDS. However, putting five shots in one ragged hole that I can cover with a dime at CQB distances is certainly off to a good start and means that it fulfills the primary intent for the pistol (home defense). If the barrel gives me 1.0 - 1.5 moa out to 150-200 yards, then I'll be very happy and may take it deer hunting next fall. I'll report back once I've obtained the results from that test, but it will likely be a month or so.
    Awesome bro, I'm glad your liking it and so far it's 100% reliable (most important) and seemingly accurate. I ran across Ballistic through a Mr. Guns & Gear video and he seemed quite enamored with it, especially for the price.

I'll be trying out the new Nitride BCG from Fathom and planned that I would run the 10.5 uncleaned, just lubed, just using wolf until failure. Think I might go broke before it chokes lol...

Nitride is slick stuff, and the BA barrel and Fathom BCG seem to make a perfect pair :D
    Last edited by DutyUse; 6 January 2015 at 02:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like how those barrels have the option of coming pinned for a mere $10 more. I think all barrels need to have pinned gas blocks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I like how those barrels have the option of coming pinned for a mere $10 more. I think all barrels need to have pinned gas blocks.
    Agreed. I'll be pinning all mine

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    That was certainly a selling point for me. Picked up the barrel when BA was running a sale which made the BA setup about $100 less expensive than what I was planning on buying. That seemed like a very good value so I thought I'd give BA a try.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like I'm going to take the plunge and buy a Ballistic Advantage 10.5 from Weapon Outfitters.

Any range use yet for yours?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    This was my first time ever shooting an AR pistol. I have to say that cheek weld on the buffer tube is a bit tricky and the buffer tube kept hitting my shoulder so I may want to get the Sig brace sooner than I was planning after all.
    Get an extended buffer tube and the sig brace. You'll love it then. I started out the exact same way on my AR pistole. There are some new extended buffer tubes that have locking rings to keep the sig brace from rotating (i think Odin or something?). Phase 5 also makes a locking collar that can slide onto any buffer tube.