Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

.300 BLK Pistol Build

Just completed my .300 BLK pistol build.

Here are the specs:

Lower:
    Receiver: Aero Precision, Forged Lower
    LPK: Rock River Arms, minus FCG, except I had to swap the mag catch with a part from a Daniel Defense LPK on another build
    FCG: LMT (leftover from upgrading the trigger in my LMT)
    Buffer Assy: KAK Industry Super Sig SB-15 Pistol Buffer Tube Kit including standard carbine buffer and spring
    Endplate: Noveske QD
    Pistol Grip: Umbrella Grip 13

Upper:
    Upper Receiver: Aero Precision M4E1
    Handguard: Aero Precision 9" Enhanced KeyMod
    Barrel: Ballistic Advantage 8.5" Premium Series, 416 Stainless Steel
    Gas: Ballistic Advantage melonite coated pistol length gas tube with BA QPQ lo-pro gas block, pinned to barrel by BA
    Muzzle Device: Kaw Valley Precision .308 5/8x24 Linear Comp
    BCG: Rainier Arms
    Optics: PA Micro on DD mount with Magpul back-up sights

The Aero Precision M4E1 upper reciever made barrel installation pretty simple:

The BA barrel was a very tight fit. I used a heat gun to heat up the reciever which allowed me to easily insert the barrel extension. Lining up the pin was a bit tricky since you can't see the slot.

Here is a close up of the Ballistic Advantage barrel, gas block, and gas tube:

The Kaw Valley Linear comp gave me just the extra length I needed to be able to use the 9" handguard with my 8.5" barrel:

The M4E1 also made installation of the handguard a trivial task:

The only issue I had was there is a screw that blocks in the ejection port cover rod that needed an extra half turn to fully sink so the handguard wouldn't bind on it during installation. You can see it in this picture:

Not too much to say about the lower. It looks like I managed to grab one of the last Grip 23 before they became so scarce recently. I may eventually upgrade the trigger, but this ultimately for a home defense gun so I think I prefer a stock trigger.

I expect to suppress this eventually, but probably not until next year. I'll probably pick up the SB-15, too, but am in no hurry.

Range report to follow. I think I should be able to get out to the range tomorrow afternoon. I'm very curious to learn what kind of accuracy I can get out of the BA barrel.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 4 January 2015 at 07:18.