Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lets talk 308 based builds

Im bored and have been wanting to do a 308 build for a while, but just hasn't been the best year..Anyways i want guys that have and are building them to chime in....Cause when the dust settles,i will SLOWLY gather parts..lol

What lowers,uppers should i be looking at beside the obvious ones, What barrel and how is it doing?

What im thinking is a 16-18" build, and not a heavy mofo either, would like to keep it light, not super light but not a heavy bench gun either, and also to shoot well..Too much?...

Throw out your builds and how their shooting and deals on parts and how much there weighing in at, as that is something im looking at.

Pics are always good to....

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a buddy that big into the AR10 stuff and keeps trying to get me to build one. It's tempting, but i've got a Springfield 16" SOCOM high on my .308 want list

Downloads
    Uploads
    Am I the only one that finds this crazy?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...tol-lower.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mega Maten's are by far the most versatile receiver sets for a .308 build. The last one I built I used a 20" Rainer Arms Ultra match barrel with a JP BCG and it is extremely accurate. I have shot multiple 1/2" groups over 100 yds. with that rifle. I originally used a CMT trigger but had issues with hard primers ignighting in the mil surp ammo. Switched to my standard Geissele trigger and have not had an issue since. I am using a very heavy rifle length buffer with a standard DPMS rifle length spring. Recoil is barely more than 5.56 weapon. On a few other builds I have used the shorty buffer with a AR15 carbine buffer tube and spring and was not happy with how the they ran. Honestly all my AR10 builds disappoint me after running my SCAR 17.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
    Am I the only one that finds this crazy?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...tol-lower.html
    I have a Mega .308 pistol build in the pile with about 10 other builds. I have hunted with a single shot .35 Remington pistol for years so the decreased recoil and multiple rounds will be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am stuck between a Rainier Arms receiver set or a SI-Defense receiver set.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have this still sitting on the shelf:

May sell it and get a CMT set, may build it. Haven't really decided what I want to do with it.

I built this for a friend and posted about it in another thread:

Close up of the receiver & CMT bolt. I sent the upper directly to CMT and they headspaced the bolt to the barrel for us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgot to add: buddy told me he's shot 1" groups at 200 yards with the gun. He left the day after Christmas to go to Alaska to duck hunt and took the CMT with him to shoot caribou. Haven't heard any results yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Im bored and have been wanting to do a 308 build for a while, but just hasn't been the best year..Anyways i want guys that have and are building them to chime in....Cause when the dust settles,i will SLOWLY gather parts..lol

What lowers,uppers should i be looking at beside the obvious ones, What barrel and how is it doing?

What im thinking is a 16-18" build, and not a heavy mofo either, would like to keep it light, not super light but not a heavy bench gun either, and also to shoot well..Too much?...

Throw out your builds and how their shooting and deals on parts and how much there weighing in at, as that is something im looking at.

Pics are always good to....
    Regarding the barrel length...accuracy isn't really the issue provided you start with a quality barrel; the only real difference will be a slight decrease in velocity going from 18" to 16". A good barrel (I have two Rainier's and will stick with them) and good ammo (I hand load and test A TON) makes a world of difference. Are you going to suppress it? If so, I'd run the 16" gun just to keep the length down. 18" if not, but that's a personal choice.

For your reading pleasure:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-and-accuracy/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Mega Maten's are by far the most versatile receiver sets for a .308 build. The last one I built I used a 20" Rainer Arms Ultra match barrel with a JP BCG and it is extremely accurate. I have shot multiple 1/2" groups over 100 yds. with that rifle. I originally used a CMT trigger but had issues with hard primers ignighting in the mil surp ammo. Switched to my standard Geissele trigger and have not had an issue since. I am using a very heavy rifle length buffer with a standard DPMS rifle length spring. Recoil is barely more than 5.56 weapon. On a few other builds I have used the shorty buffer with a AR15 carbine buffer tube and spring and was not happy with how the they ran. Honestly all my AR10 builds disappoint me after running my SCAR 17.
    The mega's are nice and i do love them and supporting in state companies..but to be honest, im not sure my wallet can pull off a cmt or RA receiver set build....

Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I am stuck between a Rainier Arms receiver set or a SI-Defense receiver set.
    Ya that RA set is my #1 pick but , for me sadly i always have to play the budget card, to a point...Ill have to look up that SI set

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Regarding the barrel length...accuracy isn't really the issue provided you start with a quality barrel; the only real difference will be a slight decrease in velocity going from 18" to 16". A good barrel (I have two Rainier's and will stick with them) and good ammo (I hand load and test A TON) makes a world of difference. Are you going to suppress it? If so, I'd run the 16" gun just to keep the length down. 18" if not, but that's a personal choice.

For your reading pleasure:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-and-accuracy/
    I am really thinking 16" , maybe 18" and yes this build i would like to go all the way and throw a can on it. i also handload , and enjoy that so no worries there at the moment..

Just getting a feel for what you guys a re building, whats shooting good, and for me a big thing is weight for this build....

Ill take a look at that link later..Thanks

For the moment theres only a few forged sets that are available, and the AERO set is looking like the best bang for the buck, but then again this is why i asked this question/thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    I still have this still sitting on the shelf:

May sell it and get a CMT set, may build it. Haven't really decided what I want to do with it.

I built this for a friend and posted about it in another thread:

]
    Very nice gaspipe..Didnt you just win that thing or is it someone else im thinking of...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    The mega's are nice and i do love them and supporting in state companies..but to be honest, im not sure my wallet can pull off a cmt or RA receiver set build....

Ya that RA set is my #1 pick but , for me sadly i always have to play the budget card, to a point...Ill have to look up that SI set

I am really thinking 16" , maybe 18" and yes this build i would like to go all the way and throw a can on it. i also handload , and enjoy that so no worries there at the moment..

Just getting a feel for what you guys a re building, whats shooting good, and for me a big thing is weight for this build....

Ill take a look at that link later..Thanks

For the moment theres only a few forged sets that are available, and the AERO set is looking like the best bang for the buck, but then again this is why i asked this question/thread...

Very nice gaspipe..Didnt you just win that thing or is it someone else im thinking of...
    Wasn't me...I never win anything. Check that; I won $2.00 on $14.00 worth of lottery tickets the other day...

The gun I built for my buddy has a 20" Rainier Select Series barrel with the polygonal rifling. It's pretty heavy overall and definitely muzzle heavy, but not a big deal for shooting off the bipod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What are your builds weighing in at?

Also so im on page..

308 specific parts besides the obvious upper/lower.barrel/bcg

What about Buffer tube and buffer?

Everything from a ar-15 lpk works besides the takedown and pivot pins? right , wrong?

Point me in the way...lol...built a few 556 and dont have a 308 so kinda new to the little details to watch for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ................Help me grasshopper.

Discuss...fellas..

How about also stuff like gas lengths and if and when a adj block is needed..Again thinkin 16 or maybe 18" barrel..
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 8 January 2015 at 02:33.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd get a Proof barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I'd get a Proof barrel.
    Proof Research and "budget" do not belong in the same discussion... unless you are talking Oprah money budget.