Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know I want to make a .308 also. I'm still trying to decide though if I will do a .300 blackout carbine or a .308 as the next one. Both are on the list and I can only do one at a time. The 7.62x39 is almost finished - needs 4 more parts. Then I'll have to make the choice. I have another choice to make too. I've been wanting to try my hands at starting from an 80% lower receiver. It will cost me more than just buying a lower receiver but, there is value to doing the work myself. I'm thinking I will build the .308 next then the .300 blackout using an 80% lower receiver. The 300 can be the next winter project. I don't have the machine shop tools for that, but a customer and friend of mine 6 miles up the valley does and he's already told me that I can use his tools (he likes guns too )

I like working with metal and know that I would very much enjoy spending the time to fine finish an 80% lower receiver. I haven't decided where I will buy one from yet though.

On a side note, I just got a news message from Weapon Outfitters about a new upper receiver that uses a new design with it's own gas tube that get's lined up with the upper receiver. It has an adjustable gas port in the upper receiver to vent off excess gasses. This has been specifically designed apparently for switching from using a suppressor and not using a suppressor. It's an interesting and innovative idea. I want to use that upper receiver for the .300 Blackout design that I have in mind. What does hurt though is that I'd like to make that as an SBR with a suppressor. Granted I'd have to pay the tax stamp for the suppressor, but I don't want to have pay a second tax stamp for the SBR. I wonder.. since suppressors are generally around 5" long, if one is permanently attached to a barrel would that make the rifle just be a rifle since the barrel and muzzle device would be longer than 16"?
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Budget was mentioned in OP.....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I know I want to make a .308 also. I'm still trying to decide though if I will do a .300 blackout carbine or a .308 as the next one. Both are on the list and I can only do one at a time. The 7.62x39 is almost finished - needs 4 more parts. Then I'll have to make the choice. I have another choice to make too. I've been wanting to try my hands at starting from an 80% lower receiver. It will cost me more than just buying a lower receiver but, there is value to doing the work myself. I'm thinking I will build the .308 next then the .300 blackout using an 80% lower receiver. The 300 can be the next winter project. I don't have the machine shop tools for that, but a customer and friend of mine 6 miles up the valley does and he's already told me that I can use his tools (he likes guns too )

I like working with metal and know that I would very much enjoy spending the time to fine finish an 80% lower receiver. I haven't decided where I will buy one from yet though.

On a side note, I just got a news message from Weapon Outfitters about a new upper receiver that uses a new design with it's own gas tube that get's lined up with the upper receiver. It has an adjustable gas port in the upper receiver to vent off excess gasses. This has been specifically designed apparently for switching from using a suppressor and not using a suppressor. It's an interesting and innovative idea. I want to use that upper receiver for the .300 Blackout design that I have in mind. What does hurt though is that I'd like to make that as an SBR with a suppressor. Granted I'd have to pay the tax stamp for the suppressor, but I don't want to have pay a second tax stamp for the SBR. I wonder.. since suppressors are generally around 5" long, if one is permanently attached to a barrel would that make the rifle just be a rifle since the barrel and muzzle device would be longer than 16"?
    WAR upper? I purchased one from
    WO for a 300 Blk build myself, but don't see a need with that round for an adj GB, so it has been moved to my 10.5 5.56 build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Budget was mentioned in OP.....
    Yeah but I think he meant affordable budget, not SeattleDude budget...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What are your builds weighing in at?

Also so im on page..

308 specific parts besides the obvious upper/lower.barrel/bcg

What about Buffer tube and buffer?

Everything from a ar-15 lpk works besides the takedown and pivot pins? right , wrong?

Point me in the way...lol...built a few 556 and dont have a 308 so kinda new to the little details to watch for.
    It really depends on the lower you choose. For example, I have a Maten lower and it accepted standard DPMS LPK parts EXCEPT the bolt release. A non-DPMS release worked fine. The beauty of the Maten is that it comes with a lot of the parts already attached and, as someone mentioned, is compatible with most AR-15 parts.

The RE is a little weird. There's a guy who I found through Google (by way of ARF I think) that sells a .308 buffer that works in an AR-15 RE. I've had zero problems with mine both suppressed and unsuppressed on my SR-25. I actually prefer my Maten (and it's SSA-E) to the KAC lower.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also so im on page..

Everything from a ar-15 lpk works besides the takedown and pivot pins? right , wrong?

Point me in the way...lol...built a few 556 and dont have a 308 so kinda new to the little details to watch for.
    You will need a .308 bolt catch and take down pins.

You can use an AR-15 Receiver extension, if you get a .308 buffer. I've used that combo without issues.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You will need a .308 bolt catch and take down pins.
    Oops...error on my previous post... The Maten doesn't work with a DPMS .308 bolt catch, but does with an AR-15 one. Again, one of the oddities (but coolness) of the design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No clue, except heavy. I'd say the one for my buddy is 11 lbs. or better with everything on it.

Also so im on page..

CMT Billet receiver set & BCG, the Rainier Select barrel, 20", with the JP Enterprises muzzle brake. Rifle length gas system with a Yankee Hill lo pro gas block & tube.

DPMS set from Brownell's with tube, spring, buffer, castle nut, and end plate. Magpul MOE stock.

I ordered the CMMG kit from Brownell's, and threw the grip and hammer & trigger in the parts drawer. If I was doing it again, I'd order the small parts from some place like Damage Industries or White Oak Armament, and buy the grip and FCG, (like the Timney we used or a CMC or Geissele or whatever), separately. The takedown and pivot pins, as well as bolt catch are different than AR15. On the CMT set, you have to shorten one of the detent springs, (for the takedown pin) per their included instructions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, for all the info..Seems like i kinda need to decide on a certain receiver set first and go from there

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys, for all the info..Seems like i kinda need to decide on a certain receiver set first and go from there
    PM sent!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also good priced , decent to good 16-18" barrels?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is something I will do eventually. I have a lot of love for the .308. Since I am working (slowly) on my first AR build, this is a ways away. In the meantime I will live vicariously through you all :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also good priced , decent to good 16-18" barrels?
    This is where the RA Select Line fits the bill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipeshooter View Post
    Yeah but I think he meant affordable budget, not SeattleDude budget...
    hahaha I lol'd for real and the wife asked me what was so funny. SeattleDude does have some sweet setups tho
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I laughed at that too.