Downloads
    Uploads

Botac Reflex Bar

This may be the wrong thread for this, if so I apologize ahead. I should have asked this BEFORE I bought it, but the price was too tempting.

I bought one of Botac Tacticals version of Brownells "reflex bar". Looked like it would be much easier to use in some cases than a clam shell type plastic clamp for working with an upper or barrel. I got it for $40.00 shipped through their "make an offer" button at checkout.

Being quite a bit cheaper than everyone else's, made me start wondering about the quality of this tool, if they can sell it for that price.

Anyone? Thanks,

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Basket full of Deplorables Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this the Brownells version you're referring to?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod27452.aspx
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Is this the Brownells version you're referring to?

Similar, but has a flat tail section so that you can actually clamp it up in a vise. Used to be about $90 bucks at Brownells. I thought they called it a Reflex bar, though, but I could be wrong. Let me try my google-fu out and see if I can find something.

FT
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    It may be the Geissele Reaction Rod, it has flat sides on the end and MSRP is $99.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    It may be the Geissele Reaction Rod, it has flat sides on the end and MSRP is $99.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod55168.aspx Yep, you beat me to it.... reaction rod was the word I was looking for.... Now, back to the original question...
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Brownells version is $39.99 about the same price point. Who knows the Botach version may be a good find. Let us know what you think of it.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm more inclined to buy the botach unit over Brownells because of the flats. The brownells requires you to add flat spots, or use it in the opposite manner (clamp your wrench and use the reaction rod as an extension on your torque wrench.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Brownells version is $39.99 about the same price point. Who knows the Botach version may be a good find. Let us know what you think of it.
    If you follow the link, the price says $99. The question was actually, is it really better than the Botach version. I could not find a "brownells" branded version on their site, but I'm not saying they don't exist. My question was "is the Botach version worth it" I was assuming I'd get an answer from someone who knows. Never mind. I have all the "fixin's" for assembling a new upper in .277 Wolverine, and I'll just wait and find out for myself.
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the link to the $39.99 Brownells branded one FT, it was the one without the flats. The one from Botach should be very similar to the Geissele one since it's a copy of it.

flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is the link to the $39.99 Brownells branded one FT, it was the one without the flats. The one from Botach should be very similar to the Geissele one since it's a copy of it.

No GOST the brownells torque tool is a similar but differnet tool, with a limited use. They may look similar but have a different purpose. Read the description, they are specifically for use with a torque (or similar) wrench for torqueing barrel nuts.

The Geissele and the Botach are multi-purpose tools that can also be used for torqueing the barrel nut, but also as a vice held replacement for a plastic clamshell or the like, tool. Do you see the difference, now?

The Botach is very similar to the Geiselle tool, but the Geissele tool is also similar to the tools that they were copied from...

At one company I worked for, we used an extremely similar device to slip through a bearing sleeve into a star shaped indent for doing vibration analysis for high speed machine transfer shafts. My point is nobody actually copied the others, they are just redesigned re-purposed tools that made it's way into the gun world. Open any 'smith's tool box, and you'll see that a great deal of their tools are usied in the machining and engineering world. Geissele's and Botach's brand, are just modified iron bars that fit in a tube and a specifically shaped indent such as a hex, or proprietary design to take stress off of the device their used on. All that being said, the quality of the individual tools are not always equal.

All this and I still don't know if the quality of the Botach is up to snuff. Whew!
    NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    The brownells tool is easily modified to be like the other two though. All it takes is a piece of half inch bar stock in the end and viola, it's done. I'm glad you found this alternative though.