Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Concealed Carry... extra mag?

I conceal carry as much as possible. (My work does not allow me to carry while working) but I am rarely without a pistol either on my person or at least nearby.

After a while I started to try and figure out how to carry a spare mag. After a lot of trial and error I have found one product that I really like. I can carry my spare mag horizontally on my belt... it's extremely comfortable. It's appropriately called a 'MagHolder'...

I am just curious...Do you carry a spare mag? And if so how do you carry it?

(note: the pic is from the magholder website)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do. I have a mag holder from Custom Carry Concepts I love, but lately my spare mag is usually in my back pocket, weak side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Though I doubt I'll ever need more then 7 shots I do carry a spare g42 mag, just loose in my pocket with nothing else in there to impede my ability to grab it quickly and without bobbling it

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always carry spares, carry is a 1911. Just use a double mag carrier from Griffon Industries, when I decide to quit being so cheap I'll get a nice leather holster from Exodus or somebody, with matching belt and pouch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ALWAYS carry a a spare mag. Yes, most issues can probably be resolved with one mag. If you're having to use that one mag, your already having a bad day. Why tempt fate. In addition to the obvious gain in number of available rounds, the second magazine can be handy to have if your primary mag induces a malfunction.

For about the past year I've been using the Safariland Model 71 carrier. I initially assumed that as a one-size-fits-all carrier, it would fit none well, but it actually works.

If carrying a Glock, their inexpensive mag carrier works great as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a cute little gun.

Back pocket carry is usually the way to go, if not you can probably find a comfortable IWB mag pouch

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually don't. If I'm heading down to my friend's place in the 'hood (the Austin neighborhood of Chicago for those that know the area) I change to a retention rig, go upcaliber and carry a spare.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My spare mag goes in my left back pocket.

Downloads
    Uploads
    that reminds me i need to buy more mags
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently picked up the Raven Concealment moduloader and 2 pistol taco's. I carry 1 spare mag and a flashlight. I am quite happy with the setup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was never able to find a comfortable IWB mag carrier, even when I carried a 1911 with its thinner mags.

My thinking on a spare mag has more to do with malfunctions than number of rounds.

I'm still looking for documentation of reloads in non-LE gunfights that changed the outcome, with the caveat that the good guy needs to have started with >10 rounds in the gun.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was never able to find a comfortable IWB mag carrier, even when I carried a 1911 with its thinner mags.

My thinking on a spare mag has more to do with malfunctions than number of rounds.

I'm still looking for documentation of reloads in non-LE gunfights that changed the outcome, with the caveat that the good guy needs to have started with >10 rounds in the gun.
    This is really one of the reasons I don't carry an extra mag.

I can't find any documentation that an extra magazine was needed to win a gunfight. Not saying that it can't happen, and of course more is better.

BUT... my chances of an off-duty gunfight are generally low. Much lower odds that I will need to reload.

You can only do your best to be prepared, but you can't prepare for every possible scenario.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    This is really one of the reasons I don't carry an extra mag.

I can't find any documentation that an extra magazine was needed to win a gunfight. Not saying that it can't happen, and of course more is better.

BUT... my chances of an off-duty gunfight are generally low. Much lower odds that I will need to reload.

You can only do your best to be prepared, but you can't prepare for every possible scenario.
    Generally speaking i am of the same mindset. I am fairly consistent with one is none, but in the case of an extra mag I rarely carry one. When i do (road trips usually) it's in my thigh cargo pocket of my Carhartt's which works out good since i'm left handed anyhow

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although i dont anticipate needing a spare mag and certainly hope never to be in a situation that would require my than what my g19/17 holds, i usually carry a spare mag. I do so because of how i practice. Drawing a weapon from a concealed position and getting a round off may mean the pistol doesnt reload itself or jams. In that case, i would simply drop the mag, rack the slide and grab the spare mag. It isnt about me needing an extra 15+ rounds necessarily.

whenever we shoot at my shop, another guy will load your mag for you and either not tell you how many is in it or randomly load a snap cap in somewhere so you have to clear it before grabbing your spare mag and putting a few more rounds on the last target.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not always with the CZ 75 compact. But since switching to lower cap single stack PPS and 1911, I always have a spare. For the j-frame an 8 rd zip strip or two with 5 loads spaced 2-2-1.