Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My SBR build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeles View Post
    Sadly when i started this I was originally going to order the Seekins billet trigger guard. but decided to save the money since the LPK came with this one. So i may return to my original plan. I dunno yet. it's still extra money vs MAKING this one work. I do like the Rainier one too with the screws in the rear as well. My big fear was to break one of those "ears" of putting the roll pin in and destroying the lower i've got a 200 tax stamp on...
    Both the Seekins and Rainier look like really nice trigger guards, although i haven't used either one. Screw retention all around is a definite plus. I have used either the Magpul Enhanced trigger guard (the aluminum one) or milspec trigger guard on the majority of my builds, with the Magpul polymer part only used a few times. If properly supported, breaking off the ears shouldn't be a problem. But i understand your concern for sure! I haven't used it, but this tool might help if you get a new trigger guard that need a roll pin installed through the ears: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/318...ProductFinding

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly when i started this I was originally going to order the Seekins billet trigger guard. but decided to save the money since the LPK came with this one. So i may return to my original plan. I dunno yet. it's still extra money vs MAKING this one work. I do like the Rainier one too with the screws in the rear as well. My big fear was to break one of those "ears" of putting the roll pin in and destroying the lower i've got a 200 tax stamp on...
    This story makes a good case for why it's a good idea to complete a build as a pistol first, make sure everything is the way you want it, and only then file the Form 1 for SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    More pics as promised. some are with the Iphone. and forgive my friends messy shop lol. Mechanics don't tend to keep neat workspaces
    SBR-21 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-22 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-23 by Steeles240, on Flickr

And back home to get dressed
    SBR-13 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-14 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-15 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-17 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-18 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-19 by Steeles240, on Flickr

and a quick pic before heading to the range with the Primary arms 1-4 on it. yes my fiance picked the comforter...
    SBR-24 by Steeles240, on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads
    And a little range report. didn't go kaboom! lol as far as first builds go I call that a success. locked back on empty, can't tell which way brass was ejecting (indoor range brass bounces off the wall) gave a quick and dirty zero, but the scope rings weren't locktited and so they did loosen fairly quickly. walked the zero in (used a 50/200m zero at 25 target) brought it in and sent a clean one out for a 5 shot group. using my elbow and the grip as support, no rest.
    SBR-25 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-26 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    Thats when I noticed the rings were loosened on the rail. tightened them back up and sent the last clean target out
    SBR-28 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    I was happy with the group considering the base I was shooting from.
    Figured I was gonna either locktite the rings or order a one piece mount so that was close enough for now since I'd have to re zero it when i did either.

the Epsilon is loud indoors. even through double ear pro. but man it doesn't move. smooth shooting though not as "soft" as my other. controlled pairs stayed on target. I like it, can't wait to get it outside and really run it.

*edit ammo was wolf gold 55 gr.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And a little range report. didn't go kaboom! lol as far as first builds go I call that a success. locked back on empty, can't tell which way brass was ejecting (indoor range brass bounces off the wall) gave a quick and dirty zero, but the scope rings weren't locktited and so they did loosen fairly quickly. walked the zero in (used a 50/200m zero at 25 target) brought it in and sent a clean one out for a 5 shot group. using my elbow and the grip as support, no rest.
    SBR-25 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    SBR-26 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    Thats when I noticed the rings were loosened on the rail. tightened them back up and sent the last clean target out
    SBR-28 by Steeles240, on Flickr
    I was happy with the group considering the base I was shooting from.
    Figured I was gonna either locktite the rings or order a one piece mount so that was close enough for now since I'd have to re zero it when i did either.

the Epsilon is loud indoors. even through double ear pro. but man it doesn't move. smooth shooting though not as "soft" as my other. controlled pairs stayed on target. I like it, can't wait to get it outside and really run it.

*edit ammo was wolf gold 55 gr.
    Nicely done brother! Looks amazing and seems to shoot well too. Well done sir. I have a couple Trigger guards in black laying around if u want one i'll add it to the list of stuff i still need to send out lol…

Magpul polymer black
    Rainer black
    and I think maybe a B5? maybe a seekins would have to check my parts bin .

If you want one shoot me a PM with address.

PS: Pyzik if you see this I promise I'll send that noveske covers out, meant to this week but my daughter kept pulling an exorcist and projectile puking… :yuck:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dutyuse; that'd be awesome! and hope your little one feels better man!

Downloads
    Uploads
    well done sir well done
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice SBR build Steeles..I like it..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nicely done! I really dig the look. I've been meaning to get a build going using a UBR. Between yours and UW's recent pics, it may happen sooner than later. How do you like the Primary Arms 1-4?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the 1-4. it has it's drawbacks but I think most of those lie in the price point. But I bought it to see how I liked a 1-4 vs the red dot I'd been shooting for the past year. needless to say the 1-4 moved instead of putting the red dot in the drawer on this build. draw backs; it's a simple reticule fairly easy to pick up because of the cross hairs to know where your at. but the dot is pretty small and outdoors the illumination is all but useless. but again simple reticule is easy to pick up. until a shadow passes the target area. then it takes an extra (really half second if that) to not focus on the dot and use the cross hairs. I think thats the big speed difference in my limited experience opinion between the red dot.

well it was.... as I was leaving the range I wandered over to the scopes in the shop and they had a Vcog in the case. i decided to torture myself and ask to look through it. big and bright and the reticule was easily picked up without the illumination on both in shadow and the bright sunlight from the window. both on 1x and 6x. this was the segmented circle reticule. it instantly made me want to step up to better glass. I can't go all out and get a vcog but i at least want to get something like the vortex pst 1-4. (the Primary arms will go on the fiance's gun when we build it later this year hopefully)

I do like the PA. once you know to be using the crosshairs more to aim your shots you pick that split second back up. I like the capped turrets, it's a 1-4 I'm not gonna be dialing in dope on the fly with it. and I don't have to worry about a turret getting accidentally spun. set and forget. farthest i've ever shot is 200yds so far and at that range i wouldn't consider a 4x scope precision by any means. minute of 8-10 plate on a calm night. for up close speed I'd really like to try the acss from their 1-6 vs their illuminated dot. for the price i'm more than happy with it. it answered my question of which do I prefer. Now i'm faced with the same question I have with my cameras.... how much glass can I afford. comparing the little PA to the Vcog is like comparing the cheap kit lens from a canon rebel to an L series lens. yeah the L series is 24x more expensive but look through it! sploosh! thats kinda what i felt looking through that vcog after shooting the PA. like borrowing my friends Nikkor 300mm f2.8 lens (that runs a good 5500 bucks) to my 55-200 f5.6 lens. No matter how good your pics are with that 55-200, that 300 will leave you wanting...

TL/DR; i like it, good for the price. no comparison to vcog!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the 1-4. it has it's drawbacks but I think most of those lie in the price point. But I bought it to see how I liked a 1-4 vs the red dot I'd been shooting for the past year. needless to say the 1-4 moved instead of putting the red dot in the drawer on this build. draw backs; it's a simple reticule fairly easy to pick up because of the cross hairs to know where your at. but the dot is pretty small and outdoors the illumination is all but useless. but again simple reticule is easy to pick up. until a shadow passes the target area. then it takes an extra (really half second if that) to not focus on the dot and use the cross hairs. I think thats the big speed difference in my limited experience opinion between the red dot.

well it was.... as I was leaving the range I wandered over to the scopes in the shop and they had a Vcog in the case. i decided to torture myself and ask to look through it. big and bright and the reticule was easily picked up without the illumination on both in shadow and the bright sunlight from the window. both on 1x and 6x. this was the segmented circle reticule. it instantly made me want to step up to better glass. I can't go all out and get a vcog but i at least want to get something like the vortex pst 1-4. (the Primary arms will go on the fiance's gun when we build it later this year hopefully)

I do like the PA. once you know to be using the crosshairs more to aim your shots you pick that split second back up. I like the capped turrets, it's a 1-4 I'm not gonna be dialing in dope on the fly with it. and I don't have to worry about a turret getting accidentally spun. set and forget. farthest i've ever shot is 200yds so far and at that range i wouldn't consider a 4x scope precision by any means. minute of 8-10 plate on a calm night. for up close speed I'd really like to try the acss from their 1-6 vs their illuminated dot. for the price i'm more than happy with it. it answered my question of which do I prefer. Now i'm faced with the same question I have with my cameras.... how much glass can I afford. comparing the little PA to the Vcog is like comparing the cheap kit lens from a canon rebel to an L series lens. yeah the L series is 24x more expensive but look through it! sploosh! thats kinda what i felt looking through that vcog after shooting the PA. like borrowing my friends Nikkor 300mm f2.8 lens (that runs a good 5500 bucks) to my 55-200 f5.6 lens. No matter how good your pics are with that 55-200, that 300 will leave you wanting...

TL/DR; i like it, good for the price. no comparison to vcog!
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it'd do just fine for a plinker build. I too would love to step up to some really good glss, both for my guns and cameras. Problem is, beyond a certain point one is paying a whole lot of cash for incremental improvements. Not saying it isn't worth it, just not in my current budget.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the same boat. how much do i REALLY need for what I do? But as the fiance put it they are investment items. something I hope to get years of use out of. But my budget is extra limited, gotta put what little money I have away for wedding this year.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dutyuse; that'd be awesome! and hope your little one feels better man!
    Thanks bro, my wife and I appreciate it.
    Last edited by DutyUse; 19 January 2015 at 11:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the same boat. how much do i REALLY need for what I do? But as the fiance put it they are investment items. something I hope to get years of use out of. But my budget is extra limited, gotta put what little money I have away for wedding this year.
    For what it's worth, i deliberated (agonized is more like it lol) for a long time on whether to get the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, or spend twice as much on a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. In the end, i went for the Viper and am quite pleased with it. It's an extremely well built scope for the money and the glass is actually quite good. I just couldn't justify spending more than twice as much on the Trijicon. Do i still lust after the Trijicon? Yes. Do i regret buying the Viper instead of saving a lot more and getting the Accupoint instead? Not for a second. Incredible quality and value for the money. The lifetime warranty on the Vortex is just icing on the cake.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    For what it's worth, i deliberated (agonized is more like it lol) for a long time on whether to get the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, or spend twice as much on a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4. In the end, i went for the Viper and am quite pleased with it. It's an extremely well built scope for the money and the glass is actually quite good. I just couldn't justify spending more than twice as much on the Trijicon. Do i still lust after the Trijicon? Yes. Do i regret buying the Viper instead of saving a lot more and getting the Accupoint instead? Not for a second. Incredible quality and value for the money. The lifetime warranty on the Vortex is just icing on the cake.
    Yeah the viper is the one I'm realistically looking at. Though the strike fire they have coming out at the same price point has me curious..