Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Facebook, why do you suck so much?

[rant]

I gave up.

I do not give up very often, if ever, but I have thrown in the towel on this one.

I made an account on FB for the purpose of communicating with others for the Samson Op-X program since it is easier for Samson this way. I did a about a weeks worth of posting (pix/etc) - many of you probably saw me pop up on the radar.

All of a sudden FB locks my account and asks me to confirm with a picture ID.

The whole point of me using a handle - ie; internet nickname that is not my real name - is so that my real name is not associated with my handle online. Apparently this was too great of a concept for those at FB and they not only refused to answer any of my questions but they closed me "case" / "appeal' with a BS copy/paste response.

I decided to send them a picture of my ID, but black out everything, except my face which is blurred beyond identification. They came back with:

"Thank you for providing us with your ID. Before we reactivate your account, we need you to respond to this email with your name typed out as it is listed on your identification. We appreciate your patience."

So I responded with:

"Before I respond with my full name, could you please explain to me exactly how it will be used?"

In between waiting more than a full 24hrs for them to respond they finally sent me:

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities, so you always know who you're connecting with. We require everyone to use their authentic name on their profile. "

Then they locked my account closed my case.

I do not really understand the reason for this, but what do I know, right?

I contact a buddy of mine who is a social media analyst for my PD, I asked him what the deal was with this - he told me that FB is almost as anti-LE as Twitter is. They refuse to care about anything LE asks, does or says (even if reasonable and within their doing without compromise of their rules, users or anything of that type). He told me that they will never budge and that they track the IP's that you use to make FB accounts on and suggested I make another FB account on a different IP with a different email address, which they probably won't catch.

I am not going to go through this BS and I go back to my original stance of "F@%& Facebook with a sledgehammer."

Figured I'd share to those who LOVE and USE FB all the time - they are anti-LE, anti-freedom, anti-America and should be shunned as such.

[/rant]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you work in Narcotics, or some other unit where you need to stay out of the public eye?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    they are anti-LE, anti-freedom, anti-America and should be shunned as such.
    This is unfortunately very true, as a lot of zero7's fans found out.

I don't know what the deal is with the whole "proving your identity" thing either. A lot of people do stuff like that, namely photographers (ie: Stick, Johnny Danger, etc etc).

Sucks this happened to you though. At least you won't have to put up with their crap anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    "Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities, so you always know who you're connecting with. We require everyone to use their authentic name on their profile. "

Then they locked my account closed my case.
    To start off I don't know a whole lot about Facebook, and yes they do suck. But you can setup accounts without using your real name. Several examples are Stickman, UWone77, Zero7one, Triplebravo, and Mrgunsngear. I'm not sure how you go about it though.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I were you, I'd just make a generic profile, "John Doe" "Mike Hunt" "Howie Feltersnatch"

Don't put anything on that profile, but use that profile to start a "business" page. There, you can start a voodoo man page and do whatever you please.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If I were you, I'd just make a generic profile, "John Doe" "Mike Hunt" "Howie Feltersnatch"

Don't put anything on that profile, but use that profile to start a "business" page. There, you can start a voodoo man page and do whatever you please.
    THIS ^^^

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Uwone, I did work narc at one time yes and I take anonymity very seriously. PERSEC is more of a way of life for me.

I will have to do that.

edit; maybe, FB sucls.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a note voodoo_man - delete all the cookies in your web browser before you start a new account and set up the business page. That way FB won't see that it's being done by the same computer.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    Just a note voodoo_man - delete all the cookies in your web browser before you start a new account and set up the business page. That way FB won't see that it's being done by the same computer.
    yea did that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ok...lets see how long this lasts...

https://www.facebook.com/vdmsr

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to use a free service to market yourself/business/blog/whate3ver, you play by their rules.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I clicked "like" on some of the photos, and invited friends to your page - I'm not on FB often, but try to thwart anarchy wherever I see it.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If you want to use a free service to market yourself/business/blog/whate3ver, you play by their rules.
    Well aren't you helpful.

My point of the OP was that there are others out there that did not have to go through with this type of thing, but yet I did.

I asked questions which were never answered and was completely ignored.

They may off a "free service" but they are extremely horrible at going about it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Well, I clicked "like" on some of the photos, and invited friends to your page - I'm not on FB often, but try to thwart anarchy wherever I see it.
    Thanks.

I don't know how long it'll last but I'll try to post instagram stuff to see if they will flag my page again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been using a fake name on Facebook for a few years now. I also suggest using Facebook purity and social fixer (both) to bypass a lot of the bullshit Facebook does...ads etc.

I think we should have a contest to come up with a good handle for you :)

That would be fun lol!