Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I blame the pussification of the American electorate for allowing our representatives at all levels of government to get away with delegating so much ambiguous power to bureaucrats so the pols can tsk, tsk and claim they are not responsible. It's even worse at state levels with appointed councils and their programs of "smart growth", and social leveling. But at least we can flee an oppressive state.

This capricious, logic defying ruling should provoke outrage whether one likes the brace or not. I want my NRA dues and other 2A group contributions put to use fighting the very idea that the law can change with each new ass in an executives seat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In all reality what's changed? It wasn't legal to shoulder it before and its still illegal now. If people think the atf didn't realize folks were using it that way then you are mistaken. Just because you ignore something doesn't mean its not there...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I swear when I see this kind of thing, I can't help to blame the shooting community itself. Don't poke the damn bear, is right. ATF makes a ruling, and someone has to see just how far they can push it, before they can bring the law tumbling down on everyone else. Hell, I saw this coming down quite a while ago. I've NEVER seen anyone use the damn thing for anything else other than a stock. We (KY) probably have some of the most liberal gun laws in the nation, and there was already murmuring among law enforcement and range officers, because the law was a bit vague, and there is always one MF with a big mouth who's got to brag at the top of his lungs, to everyone who'll listen, how he got around the SBR regulations.
    The biggest problem was all the numbskulls who, instead of just reading the ATF ruling on them to begin with, kept on sending ATF letters ASKING them if it was OK... duhhh, ATF made a statement saying it was not OK but obviously people could end up misusing the product. The ATF ruling was, and still is, valid for it's intended use - i.e. strap it to your arm. Now they're saying though that if some dummy puts it on a pistol to USE it as a shoulder stock and misuses it as such, then it has been "re-designed" from it's original purpose (even though nothing on the brace has been modified at all) - and therefore makes the weapon now a SBR. I even saw one letter where the idiot sent ATF his complete intended parts list - including the SIG Brace to ask them if it was legal to build the pistol that way and shoulder the weapon with the brace. I also figured this kind of ruling would eventually get sent out because of the number of stupid letters ATF kept getting.

Glad I had already decided I wasn't going to bother with one. I have a feeling we'll start to see a lot of them showing up cheap on fleabay too.
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 16 January 2015 at 21:04.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    The biggest problem was all the numbskulls who, instead of just reading the ATF ruling on them to begin with, kept on sending ATF letters ASKING them if it was OK... duhhh, ATF made a statement saying it was not OK but obviously people could end up misusing the product. The ATF ruling was, and still is, valid for it's intended use - i.e. strap it to your arm. Now they're saying though that if some dummy puts it on a pistol to USE it as a shoulder stock and misuses it as such, then it has been "re-designed" from it's original purpose (even though nothing on the brace has been modified at all) - and therefore makes the weapon now a SBR. I even saw one letter where the idiot sent ATF his complete intended parts list - including the SIG Brace to ask them if it was legal to build the pistol that way and shoulder the weapon with the brace. I also figured this kind of ruling would eventually get sent out because of the number of stupid letters ATF kept getting.

Glad I had already decided I wasn't going to bother with one. I have a feeling we'll start to see a lot of them showing up cheap on fleabay too.
    I saw one where the guy stated he wanted an SBR. So dumb.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you're asking the ATF to use a Sig Brace as a shouldering Stock... well as they say, ask stupid questions, you get a stupid answer.
    There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots.

Didn't Sig ship them with copies of an ATF opinion letter stating improper use of an accessory doesn't change a weapon's classification? After reading that, i'd STFU and shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    There are no stupid questions, only inquisitive idiots.

Didn't Sig ship them with copies of an ATF opinion letter stating improper use of an accessory doesn't change a weapon's classification? After reading that, i'd STFU and shoot.
    Yep, but as other people mentioned... they couldn't leave well enough alone. I wonder if SIG will take the ATF to court over the re-classification of the brace.

Too bad all my braces will be lost in a tragic boating accident... :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 206thsense View Post
    Yep, but as other people mentioned... they couldn't leave well enough alone. I wonder if SIG will take the ATF to court over the re-classification of the brace.

Too bad all my braces will be lost in a tragic boating accident... :)
    Yeah, a boating accident… That's the ticket…

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose if they start showing up used on fleabay for $20 bucks I'll get one. Not to actually mount it on my pistol, but to have it in case one of my arms ever becomes incapacitated enough to need to strap it to my wrist - or if that happens to someone I know. As UWone and some others have so succinctly pointed out, they are apparently shitty as butt stocks anyway.

(edited for a spelling error - which pretty much ALL of my editing is for - I simply type too fast)
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 16 January 2015 at 23:03.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    well, my stamp came today. no worries............
    Grats bro. I got stamp envy atm

Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread makes me want to submit another Form 1.

I'm thinking a LMT Defender lower for this MRP 10.5

Or a BCM for that 11.5

Sig Braces... Lame since 2012.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread makes me want to submit another Form 1.

I'm thinking a LMT Defender lower for this MRP 10.5

Or a BCM for that 11.5

Sig Braces... Lame since 2012.
    Do it UWone - I'm going to do it with setting up a NFA trust first. There just may be an elderly friend of mine leaving me a couple of perfectly legal machine guns that just need a tax stamp transfer within the next 10 years or so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have this nasty, stinking, feeling that tax stamps are going to eventually get adjusted and that new trusts will somehow be illegal.... existing trusts 'maybe' grandfathered in. No guarantee though.

There are no limits that a government bent on having absolute power will go to. The 2nd Amendment and the number of arms in private hands is the only thing preventing the government from doing so now though. There aren't anywhere near enough states that would vote to change the Constitution for repealing the 2nd Amendment. So, when the government wants to ban or restrict firearms, it is going to do so as far as it can for as long as it can. The Constitution does keep getting in the way of that desire though.

I think I better stop now. We try to keep politics out of WEVO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I have this nasty, stinking, feeling that tax stamps are going to eventually get adjusted and that new trusts will somehow be illegal.... existing trusts 'maybe' grandfathered in. No guarantee though.

There are no limits that a government bent on having absolute power will go to. The 2nd Amendment and the number of arms in private hands is the only thing preventing the government from doing so now though. There aren't anywhere near enough states that would vote to change the Constitution for repealing the 2nd Amendment. So, when the government wants to ban or restrict firearms, it is going to do so as far as it can for as long as it can. The Constitution does keep getting in the way of that desire though.

I think I better stop now. We try to keep politics out of WEVO.
    41P... People seem to forget that, it's looming for this summer.

I can completely envision a scenario where there are no more tax stamps issued to trusts as soon as later this year.

If you want an NFA item, I'd get on it ASAP.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can completely envision a scenario where there are no more tax stamps issued to trusts as soon as later this year.

I haven't forgotten. I'm waiting on 3 Form 4s, and have half a mind to get another can and submit a few Form 1s on stripped lowers. Not to be the panicky type, but how many times can we dodge that 41P bullet and hope it will be pushed back yet again?

Downloads
    Uploads

What's coming this summer? There must be something I haven't seen yet. I'll start looking it up. Any info you can provide will be helpful. The Supreme Court has already ruled that a trust is a company and not an individual. Granted, if they take up a new anti gun case and reverse that decision, everything could change. This now directly concerns me because I and my wife's very elderly friend has several perfectly legal fully auto machine guns with their tax stamps. he'd like to will them to us and he doesn't have very many more years to live. He has a LOT of guns, but his grown up kids aren't so savvy about guns. So, he wants to have us set up to get all the fully auto ones and leave the rest to his grown up children. Whether this will ever happen, I don't know for sure, but I think it will. If the laws change though, those machine guns may just have to have been thrown into the river next to his home.

Edit to add - if those machine guns get thrown into the very fast flowing river, I guess there will be an affidavit saying that that is what was done. maybe someone gets a small fine for polluting. This IS Idaho though. Guns in this state are pretty much sacrosanct.

I do have a collectors FFL type 3 license - Do you think they will still honor tax stamps for collectors?
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 17 January 2015 at 02:14.