Downloads
    Uploads

First Official Training in a Long Time

Just a little background on what my shooting experience has been so far in my life. I grew up hunting. I learned to shoot at a relatively young age. Shot a ton of squirrels out of trees with a .22 from the age of 6 till the age of 10. Took my first buck when I was 10 years old and have shot my fair share of venison. Joined the USAF when I was 18.. was actually in the delayed enlistment program at 17. Was Security Police while I served carried a M-203 my entire enlistment, was certified on the M-60 as well. After getting out of the Air Force didn't do much shooting for a long time other than occasional hunting. Then my Dad gave me a Walther P99 chambered in .40 and I started shooting pistol at regular intervals.

I had been wanting an AR for the longest time but could never justify it. About 2 years ago my wife opened the flood gates when her and the girls picked up a S&W M&P 15. After that she made another mistake of letting me build her a rifle. We started shooting more and the bug fully infected us both as we have built another rifle and in the process of building a 4th. We both picked up some pistols. Last year I started researching competition shooting in our area. Shot a couple at local sportsman clubs. Last year we probably put about 2000 rounds down range between the both of us. And this year we both plan on shooting as much as we can and I plan on getting more involved in our 2-Gun competition scene.

But first I need to be tuned up a lot, and today was the beginning of some much need tuning. A local instructor who is also a local LEO and former Detroit SWAT officer started observing and critiquing me. Got at the range at 0845 this morning, went over range safety, programmed local emergency numbers in my cell (something I never thought about doing), setup targets, and confirmed zero. After zero confirmation he asked me what I am looking to do, I am not highspeed those days are long gone. I don't have an grand illusions of me running in single handily to save people from crazy shooters. But I do want to be fundamentally sound with my weapons and I am not so much worried about speed as I am worried about becoming subconsciously repetitive in my motions while shooting. I want to shoot 2-gun because it is the closest thing I can thing of that comes to real world training. All rifle shoots are taken when traversing a field to enter a stage. Upon entrance to the stage you transition to pistol and clear the stage, transition to rifle and move to the next stage, rinse repeat till all 5 stages are cleared. When clearing a stage all shots must be made from cover. No dumping a weapon to pick up a next weapon, no standing out in the middle of the stage engaging targets out in the open and the emphasis isn't just time but also shooting from cover. The only time when not shooting from cover is when you are traversing the field to get to the next stage. These are rifle shots made on the move.

So we rearranged the range to meet those goals. Walked it about 10 times going through the drills dry while he got me situated in a better body position. Fixed my awkwardness with my transitions simply because I was trying to stow away my rifle instead of just letting it hang. By 1000 we were moving and shooting slow and steady. By the end of the session we were moving through the stages with speed and working side by side for the length of the course. I am going to be going back on a regular schedule to progress. This year I am going to get in as much instruction as possible, train as much as possible and become a better shooter. This year I plan on making money in competitions not just getting my entry money back.

Today my setup consisted of a Jason Winnie Double Layer 1.5" leather belt, Jason Winnie OWB leather pancake holster and single mag carrier for the M&P 9mm. Ran my AR mags out of my back pockets. While running the drills through the course I was able to keep up with him but I can see how a HSG drop leg panel with double taco's could make this more efficient. I might pick up a chest rig (Haley Strategic Disruptive chest rig). I will not be running a plate carrier that is for sure. I want to stay light and mobile as possible. .
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was a great write up comp!! I'd love to be able to have something like that at my disposal! Looking forward to some video's in the future!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very cool. Nothing like that around here. MAKO used to come to KY, but I don't even know if they're still a training company. Sounds like a lot of fun, and a great learning opportunity also.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads

First Official Training in a Long Time

I'm going to piggy back on comps thread instead of making my own.

I got into firearms about three years ago. I've grown quite the collection in a very short time and have a lot of very nice weapons. I'm not the type to make resolutions but I told myself this year I was going to take some real training classes and get some proper and formal training. Today I did just that thanks to Will @ Arisaka. He told me of a fairly new training group about an 1.5hrs from me.

They announced via their FB they were having a core pistol class and fee was only $50. I figured this would be a great way to check them out and also get some training in. Little did I know that I would spend the day getting some great instruction in a very friendly and fun, yet safe environment.

It ended up being just me and another person in the class. I had one and one all day and with everything I did whether if it was proper draw and grip technique, stance to fast moving, timed drills I had an instructor with me at all times and was giving positive feedback and well as constructive after every drill. We did simple drill to more complex drills such as 1-5, el presidente and more I don't remember the names of.

In short it was great to really be taught by someone that really knew what they were doing and could break it down into terms I could understand. I'm no LEO/Mil so this may seem like a basic run of the mill day but for me it was a great day. I knew I didn't know how to "properly" shoot, and I still don't per say but I do feel a but more confident in my skills and ability. I still have a long ways to go but with what I was able to take home I feel I have and will become a better shooter thanks to this class. I still have a ways to go but it's a positive step in the right direction. If your in NC I highly suggest you look up Recondo operations group on FB and check them out! You'll be glad you did!
    Last edited by Dstrbdmedic167; 8 February 2015 at 16:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man I am glad to see WEVO members getting out and getting some knowledge. I have several classes I want to take still with my local guy and would like to mix in some MDFI training classes as well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you the next time out and it will be cool is Will is out there too.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you had such a positive experience. Your lucky to have had only 2 people in the class as most training has a dozen or more ppl per instructor. We put on a youth firearm safety course a few times a year and I always have a blast.

FortTom there are no big name training schools here but If you goto the NRA's website and look up instructors you might find someone fairly close by.

Downloads
    Uploads
    good wright up wish u luck on your 2 gun competition and glad your out there bettering your self
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Comp I love this thread! Great write up!

Your ideas and mine are quite similar. I haven't done any formal training (ever) but the idea has been lingering in the back of my mind.

Good job!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    Man I am glad to see WEVO members getting out and getting some knowledge. I have several classes I want to take still with my local guy and would like to mix in some MDFI training classes as well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you the next time out and it will be cool is Will is out there too.
    Thanks you know how much I enjoyed it you could probably hear the excitement in my voice on the way home. Only regret is I haven't done this sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Glad you had such a positive experience. Your lucky to have had only 2 people in the class as most training has a dozen or more ppl per instructor. We put on a youth firearm safety course a few times a year and I always have a blast.

FortTom there are no big name training schools here but If you goto the NRA's website and look up instructors you might find someone fairly close by.
    Yea it was great and I'm sure a rarity. He did say that he tried to have as much one on one as possible. He said he usually has one instructor per two students. Still not bad in my book!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I too have been wanting to get some extra training but im not sure of many reputable training companies/ places here in Oklahoma. Bad Lands Tactical is about the only one I have heard of and I would love to take some rifle classes from them. I did however get to take a Defensive Handgun class about a year ago from Matt Devito and Downrange Firearms Training and had a blast!
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great write up Comp and medic.

I'm no LEO/MIL either.

I've taken MDFI's handgun 1, 2, Carbine 1 and have low light handgun scheduled this summer. Hoping to get a private class scheduled for Mrs. Pyzik this summer too.

Training is addicting.
    I've also taken ground defense and knife defense through one of MDFI's trainers.

Comp, it would be awesome if we got in a same class.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's really cool that you got much more personal instruction for the pistol course, medic. Really wish I could have made it. My pistol skills are terrible.

For anyone interested, there's a defensive rifle course at Recondo on the 28th. I'm signed up. It's about 20 minutes east of Fayetteville, NC.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    That's really cool that you got much more personal instruction for the pistol course, medic. Really wish I could have made it. My pistol skills are terrible.

For anyone interested, there's a defensive rifle course at Recondo on the 28th. I'm signed up. It's about 20 minutes east of Fayetteville, NC.
    Yea we won't talk about how bad mine were... I'm gonna try to make that class but it depends if I can get the required gear needed to tae the class. Gear is something I really haven't invested in yet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Yea we won't talk about how bad mine were... I'm gonna try to make that class but it depends if I can get the required gear needed to tae the class. Gear is something I really haven't invested in yet.
    One of the reasons I like Recondo is that you don't need very much gear. I ran the last class with my rifle, sling, two magazine pouches on my belt, and half a dozen magazines. Other than eye/ear protection, that's really it.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    One of the reasons I like Recondo is that you don't need very much gear. I ran the last class with my rifle, sling, two magazine pouches on my belt, and half a dozen magazines. Other than eye/ear protection, that's really it.
    Yea I don't have mag pouches yet and would like a good quality sling but yes Recondo is great in that way and that they don't require a crazy amount of ammo to take the class. Still enough to get some good training but not enough you feel like you're wasting ammo