Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul Industries Corp Bringing Back Tan Magazines

Magpul Industries Corp is bringing back FDE/Tan, which will now be called Sand.

SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE GEN M3 LINE OF PMAGS, THERE HAS BEEN A RECURRING THEME IN REQUESTS FROM OUR CUSTOMERS, AND THAT HAS BEEN A CALL FOR COLOR OPTIONS. UNTIL NOW, THE GEN M3 LINE HAS BEEN MANUFACTURED ONLY IN BLACK. WE’VE BEEN QUIETLY WORKING BEHIND THE SCENES ON SOME THINGS, AND WE’RE FINALLY READY TO SHARE ONE OF THOSE WITH THE WORLD.

We’re introducing a new color to our line. This color, officially named “Sand”, is as much an overall material development as it is a color development. “Sand” is a light, “non-black” color that closely matches some of the lighter tones in popular military camouflage patterns as well as many environments on the current battlefield. In addition to being less significant in the IR spectrum and ideal for many desert environments, this new material has several other meaningful benefits.

STRENGTH This new Sand colored material shares many of the properties and components of our latest black material. Endurance, reliability, chemical resistance, stability, and other parameters are exactly the same. The main difference, due to some proprietary developments in composition, is strength. The GEN M3 AR/M4 PMAG is extremely resilient in black. However, as tough as our basic black material is, the Sand material is even stronger. We’ve seen very significant increases in feed lip drop and other rough handling tests from -60F to 180F—to an extent that it made our initial results hard to believe. Similar proportional increases in the other magazines in our line have been seen in our testing. With this increase in drop strength, we still see the resiliency that makes the PMAG what it is—Feed geometry does not change, unlike metal or softer polymer magazines—and so reliable feeding is not affected by this punishment.

ADDITIONAL COLORS In addition to its physical properties, the color of the Sand material was chosen for another reason. It serves as a perfect foundation for water-based dye processes to change the color of the material or add camouflage patterns without adding surface thickness or scratching off with use. You can see some of the results of a few minutes with common RIT dye and cellophane wrap in the inset photo. If paint is the desired method of camouflage, “Sand” forms a great basis for this also. Dyed magazines can serve as the base for additional paint pattern options.
    Expect to see the new “Sand” material making its way through our magazine line very quickly. We’ll have some video tutorials about using dye and paint to change the appearance of this material coming soon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to hear more. I knew of a lot of guys in the service missing the tan color mags. Didn't expect them to be stronger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's interesting to hear. I remember hearing that from the Gen 2 PMAGs, that the colored ones were weaker than the black ones. Looks like the tables have turned. I'm curious to hear whether there will be additional colors besides sand.

Just so I understand this, Magpul is saying that the Sand PMAGs are good for a starting basis to chance the color of the magazine? For stuff like companies such as Joint Force Enterprises does?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've broken 3 FDE mags they seem to be weaker in just moderate use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've broken 3 FDE mags they seem to be weaker in just moderate use.
    Lay off the steroids.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tie dye mags anyone?
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Lay off the steroids.
    haha..

You had to see it kinda coming, everyone wanted colored gen 3 mags...hope they do some other gen 3 colors..And expand that to the 308 pmags as well.
    Last edited by mustangfreek; 18 January 2015 at 20:36.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Yo uhad to see it kinda coming, everyone wanted colored gen 3 mags...hope they do some other gen 3 colors..And expand that to the 308 pmags as well.
    I was definitely hoping this was coming; only reason I wasn't, for sure, seeing this coming was that a Magpul rep told me once last year that there was no interest (on their end) of making colored PMAGs - granted that was probably them just being secretive as always ... It would definitely be great seeing colored PMAGs for other platforms.

Downloads
    Uploads
    while were somewhat on colors, I always wondered why they released the grey products and no grey pmags to go with, along with pink ones...maybe they will do some gen 3 grey ones..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Long overdue. The way people were gobbling up mags for so long, all they had to produce was black though. Now that demand finally slacked off, they finally release the colors. Magpul should offer mags in any color they offer products IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    along with pink ones
    LOL - I could see you as that one guy at the range with a pink two-tone build

Stealth grey PMAGs would be nice though. I'm sure there would definitely be a market for something like hunter's orange too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The potential to dye the new furniture is limitless. I wish they would just release everything in white. Not sure if people are aware of the potential with the RIT dye and stencils. I will try to dig up some photos of work my cousin does with lacrosse heads. The sky is the limit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    mmmm i do love the white star wars PDW builds!

Downloads
    Uploads
    All this talk about strength of colored polymer vs black is interesting to me since i work in the plastics industry. Obvious first impression is that the colored pieces are not a pre-pigmented polymer and the mixing/blending process has something to do with it. The blended materials are easy to inadvertantly change the molecular weight and cause stability issues. Also many post mix polymers are more susceptible to oils and uv impregnation. So therefore gun oil could be a portion of the feed lip issue.

Will need to do more research.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Being a gun guy and working in plastics these days always has me dreaming of what i can make