Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just getting started-advice please.

Just got the Dillon 650 fully set up today. I started prepping my brass, and I'm going to run the press as a single stage for a while just focusing on one step at a time. Tumbled a few loads of brass yesterday and today and ran a few cases through the resizing die. I have two sets of dies on hand, Lee and RCBS. I'm borrowing these dies for now, I'll get dillon 3 die set eventually.

First question, and I'm sure I'll add more when I get more time to do the next steps...

Does this brass look correct? I know I need to get a case gauge, but generally does the neck of this resized case look like it should after resizing? Resized one is on the right.

If this doesn't look correct, can you tell me what I need to do to adjust the die? Cases came out looking the same from both dies after setting them according to the instructions in the dillon press manual.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me, it doesnt look like my cases once i resize them...Not thats its a big difference , but i was using a Lee single stage w/ lee dies and RCBS lube/pad along wit ha Wilson case guage.

Im not familiar with the Blue machines, might be faster but id rather see, and make sure every round gets a primer in the right way, right amount of powder etc....And ive only ever used a single stage and a lee turret for pistol, but only for 3 stations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That does not look correct. Is that from the sizing die, or the seating die? It looks like its putting on a crimp a major one, which would mean you're using the wrong die.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya good point CJ, what die or die sets are u using as i know lee has different sets, 2,3 and rgb sets, i am using the pacesetter dies with a factory crimp, only lightly. But the pic doesnt look like it was crimping, if so it looks way far down,

Ride were you using the decapping/sizing die? using any lube? Or using it without the decapper in?

One reason i stand behind the , yo ushould start on a single stage and figure out each step and setting up dies several times, just to really get the sequence and settings down. Also once you have some sized, another quick check without a guage is to see if it will chamber in the weapon..

But starting from scratch....As you are essentially as in setting up the dies......get a case guage, just makes for a easy setup and for a piece of mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both sets of dies I have are 2 die sets, and the brass looks like this after coming out of both of them. It's definitely the sizing/decapping die.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I figured it out. I don't think I had the dies set far enough. I think they top of the neck was just contacting he resizing ball causing it to bell out like that on the neck, instead of letting the ball go through the neck. Of course I could be completely mistaken as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2 die sets, so the lee set is the green set, why is the 2 sets are usually a decap/sizing die and the seater and sometimes crimp together die- Im personally not fond of these ones.

My advice, since its hard to really help over the internet, is start over, back the die out and put the shell holder in and lower it down til lit touches, then do a half turn, and then play with like 1/8- 1/4 turn adjustments..

Sizing die or try to chamber them when you think your close, although the gage is a cheap tool that is needed IMO or the hornady case measure setup dealio..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the way to set up a Dillon (I use a 550B) --- put the tool head in and raise the ram. Screw the size/decap die down until it touches the Dillon shell plate. Then watch the shell plate very closely and slowly screw the die down until most of the slack is removed. That means the shell plate is being pressed downward until it can't go any further with the ram fully raised - handle all the way down. I usually screw the die down until it can't go any lower, then back it off a quarter to half a turn. Leave just a little slack in the shell plate. Lock the die into the tool head firmly with the ram fully raised (the die cannot move). Now, adjust the decapping pin until it protrudes through the bottom of the shell plate. This will do a "full length" resize of the case.

Being retentive, I tumble rifle cases, lube and resize/decap, trim, uniform the primer pocket, swage the primer pocket crimp if military, then tumble again to remove the lube. Then you can re-prime and finish the loading process. Must remove lube before priming. Hope this helps.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Here is the way to set up a Dillon (I use a 550B) --- put the tool head in and raise the ram. Screw the size/decap die down until it touches the Dillon shell plate. Then watch the shell plate very closely and slowly screw the die down until most of the slack is removed. That means the shell plate is being pressed downward until it can't go any further with the ram fully raised - handle all the way down. I usually screw the die down until it can't go any lower, then back it off a quarter to half a turn. Leave just a little slack in the shell plate. Lock the die into the tool head firmly with the ram fully raised (the die cannot move). Now, adjust the decapping pin until it protrudes through the bottom of the shell plate. This will do a "full length" resize of the case.

Being retentive, I tumble rifle cases, lube and resize/decap, trim, uniform the primer pocket, swage the primer pocket crimp if military, then tumble again to remove the lube. Then you can re-prime and finish the loading process. Must remove lube before priming. Hope this helps.
    Thanks jerry. I did pretty much the same steps this morning and it worked as advertised. I just didn't have the die in far enough to begin. Another problem is, with non dillon dies sometimes they are too short, or JUST long enough (the case with the RCBS die I was using). I also am following the steps you listed for the rest of your brass prep.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do everything brass-prep related that Jerry does aside from a second tumble to remove lube. I have an old towel I throw the brass on and just fold it and roll it a couple times and it's all dry.

Be careful OVER lubing when resizing initially; too much lube on the shoulders can cause pressure related denting on the shoulder. Severe dents can change case volume. Of course, they stretch back out when shot but it's unecessary wear on the brass

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I do everything brass-prep related that Jerry does aside from a second tumble to remove lube. I have an old towel I throw the brass on and just fold it and roll it a couple times and it's all dry.

Be careful OVER lubing when resizing initially; too much lube on the shoulders can cause pressure related denting on the shoulder. Severe dents can change case volume. Of course, they stretch back out when shot but it's unecessary wear on the brass

Just adding on where i can, but seconding what jerry said, very well put btw....i also tumble again after i lube/resize/trim/swag (if needed)

Also former 11b is right, dont use too much lube.

When i i started out , i was using too much and noticed my cases getting squished, now i use a single stage and rcbs pad, so i lube throw on a bunch of brass, and about every third piece ill use a lubed piece of brass, not every one, i have found it works perfect for me..Your mileage will vary...Reloading is fun and many ways to get to the same end result, but there are things to watch out for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright, next question. Which does are you guys using? Specifically .223, .40 and 9mm. I guess it makes sense just to buy dillon dies with the lifetime warranty, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on dies.

Had my first catastrophic failure last night with a RCBS .223 die...

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have big blue get big blue. As this guy named Kyle once told me buy once, cry once...

Seriously though, things will work another and better if you use the die sets made for your press

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know this james. The inner Jew in me is alive and well though. Need to pony up. Regardless I have a set of RCBS on the way to replace the one I damaged last night

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    I know this james. The inner Jew in me is alive and well though. Need to pony up. Regardless I have a set of RCBS on the way to replace the one I damaged last night
    I know I give you a hard time but I think you'll save yourself some headache in the long run.