View Poll Results: Which lower would you SBR?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2A Balios

3 16.67%
  • BAD556

6 33.33%
  • UCWRG Billet

0 0%
  • Atomic Tactical Billet

1 5.56%
  • Other

8 44.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would not SBR anything billet, especially anything with odd styling cues like the BAD.
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but why exactly is this bad? ... I was planning on picking up the CMT ambi billet lower to match my upper for my build.

Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Something i read from UW yesterday clicked, if I want to get a trust then SBR and Suppressor I need to shift my attentions toward it, and quickly. Because the process is so boringly long and I don't want some piece of garbage legislation to get rammed down the pipe and ruin my ability to own cool gear. Pistols are cool, especially when you have a CC license, but SBR's are where it's at.
    Ugh - you're lucky you can do it now. Honestly, this age requirement thing is kinda BS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    Forgive my lack of knowledge - but why exactly is this bad? ... I was planning on picking up the CMT ambi billet lower to match my upper for my build.

Ugh - you're lucky you can do it now. Honestly, this age requirement thing is kinda BS
    They're telling me to go forged for several reasons. One is durability. Second, of the lowers I picked most needed it's matching upper or wouldn't look right and its a high probability I'll get more then one upper. Third is like Gost said what looks cool now my kids may not like in 20 years ya know? A 70's Colt SP1 still looks good.

That sucks man. Not sure how old you are, but I know in Ky you can own shotguns at 18 then everything else at 21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing about SBRing a forged lower is that you can remove the trigger guard and have the engraving done next to the trigger.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    They're telling me to go forged for several reasons. One is durability. Second, of the lowers I picked most needed it's matching upper or wouldn't look right and its a high probability I'll get more then one upper. Third is like Gost said what looks cool now my kids may not like in 20 years ya know? A 70's Colt SP1 still looks good.

That sucks man. Not sure how old you are, but I know in Ky you can own shotguns at 18 then everything else at 21.
    Oh ok. Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but Is there anything wrong with going the billet route for an SBR? I was thinking about going the 300BLK route, thus the SBR route.

I'm 19 right now ... which sucks with 41p looming on the horizon ...

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Another thing about SBRing a forged lower is that you can remove the trigger guard and have the engraving done next to the trigger.
    I've heard this thrown around here and there - is that a requirement to have NFA engraving for NFA items or something? Or does that come down to paperwork/covering your rear?

Downloads
    Uploads
    my spike tactical honey badger lower
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh ok. Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but Is there anything wrong with going the billet route for an SBR? I was thinking about going the 300BLK route, thus the SBR route.

I'm 19 right now ... which sucks with 41p looming on the horizon ...

I've heard this thrown around here and there - is that a requirement to have NFA engraving for NFA items or something? Or does that come down to paperwork/covering your rear?
    It's a requirement if you're doing a Form 1. The Form 1 basically makes you the manufacturer, that's the reason it has to be engraved.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Which lower would you SBR?

Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    It's a requirement if you're doing a Form 1. The Form 1 basically makes you the manufacturer, that's the reason it has to be engraved.
    Yes. You need to engrave the name of the trust and city/state. Most other engravings on the gun (mfg, model, caliber, s/n) are reused as part of the form 1 info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In hindsight I'm super glad I SBR'd at least 1 standard high-quality (Aero) forged lower. No ambi stuff, no special magwell that only works with certain mags, lighter weight than billet and stronger too for the same mass.

I use the SBR lower for several uppers so it's nice to have ultimate compatibility with everything. That's why I recommend a standard high-quality forged lower for your first SBR. Just my $.02.

If you want a billet one, you can always do another later on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good points Dave

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe not the ambi but I would think a standard CMT set would be a good choice. I would have probly done that Noveske you have if not a CMT.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Particular reason against the ambi lower? Just curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Particular reason against the ambi lower? Just curious.
    The ambi has some proprietary parts that years down the road if they break may be hard to replace. Not a deal breaker though, the KAC is ambi and I would still SBR it.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do the 2A one. It's the more unique of the ones listed and possibly would be the only SBR done here with one. Also, the integrated QD mount points in that receiver would work better for a pistol or SBR than they would for 16" barreled carbine.
    Last edited by WHSmithIV; 20 January 2015 at 19:17.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nationwide it's 21 for pistols or receivers.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd SBR a forged lower for compatibility for the widest variety of SBR upper options. This is something you'll have for the rest of your life, so I'd get the most common forged lower you can find.

If you have multiple SBR lowers, you can obviously change it up, but my first 2 SBR lowers were plain jane milspec ones.