Downloads
    Uploads

Possible Troubleshooting Help

It FINALLY cleared off weather wise and today I was out shooting. I wasn't shooting a lot but I did shoot well over 100 rounds with very little rest in between. I didn't do mag dumps or anything like that, I just shot 3 or 4 shot groups. Checked it and did more and on and on. All in all I was evaluating about 5 or 6 different types of ammo.

At one point towards the end of my session my rifle was warm to the touch but not really hot... and I decided to just load up and finish off about a dozen or so left over rounds. In this case I WAS trying to do a little bit of rapid fire.

The only problem is it felt like a round went off without me really wanting it to when the gun cycled. Instead of it going bam bam bam like I was doing on purpose this time it went bambam and two rounds went off quickly.

What I don't know if it was just me finding some sweet spot on the trigger (I was shooting from a bipod) or if it was a function of the gun getting hot or if it might be something to do with the trigger.

It happened mid mag. It didn't scare me but I went 'whoa that's interesting'. I didn't slow down. I just kept on. I then got another mag and tried to replicate it and nothing.

Obviously I want to monitor it for safety reasons but I don't know if I should treat it like a fluke, a one off, or just go 'eh whatever'.

I was getting down on the trigger pretty good and it seems like it might have been a 'slam fire' (I just made that word up because I don't know what else to call it) where when the bolt chambered the next round it went off.

Anything? Bueller? Bueller?

Downloads
    Uploads
    A cook off is nearly impossible without sustained automatic fire so you can rule that out. I would run a fair amount of ammo through it and try to recreate it. It could be you were just at the perfect spot on a trigger reset and twitched enough to let it go again. Or it could have been a really soft primer and there was a light strike from the firing pin.

It bears watching but if it doesn't happen again over the next 100 rounds or so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBomb View Post
    A cook off is nearly impossible without sustained automatic fire so you can rule that out. I would run a fair amount of ammo through it and try to recreate it. It could be you were just at the perfect spot on a trigger reset and twitched enough to let it go again. Or it could have been a really soft primer and there was a light strike from the firing pin.

It bears watching but if it doesn't happen again over the next 100 rounds or so I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    I figured this would be the case. I tried to recreate it and nothing. I think it was me getting into a perfect sub millimeter position on the trigger (which is light to start with) and it went once and that was it. I will be watching the rifle for sure but I think it was just a one off thing. It also could have been that the trigger didn't fully reset in the course of all the action, which maybe could have been due to the actual ammo itself or a number of things. It could have also been absolute to the millisecond timing of me on the trigger.

I have shot full auto, three round bursts, slide fires and all sorts of stuff from various guns... this time it didn't feel like 'automatic fire'... it felt more like I was pulling the trigger faster than I thought I was capable of, I mean like within a split second of each other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rifle and trigger info?

Downloads
    Uploads
    CMT Tactical Billet upper and lower. Rainier Arms Select stainless barrel. CMC 3.5 single stage flat trigger. Rainier Arms BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was the trigger. I have shot that particular trigger before and it's basically a sympathetic trigger pull. It's because of how that trigger resets, which is why I won't use it.
    Owner/Instructor- Semper Paratus Arms
    www.semperparatusarms.com

Master Armorer/R&D- SIONICS Weapon Systems
    www.sionicsweaponsystems.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    It was the trigger. I have shot that particular trigger before and it's basically a sympathetic trigger pull. It's because of how that trigger resets, which is why I won't use it.
    Can you elaborate? I am (was?) planning on acquiring the CMC single stage flat bow trigger for a lightweight build I have in progress.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those light, flat triggers are designed for people to shoot very rapidly. That's why people buy them. People can usually practice and get to around 450 rpm. Not quite full auto but fun enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Can you elaborate? I am (was?) planning on acquiring the CMC single stage flat bow trigger for a lightweight build I have in progress.
    I can tell you that I am IN LOVE with my CMC. There is no doubt about it. I have no intention to switch.

My style of shooting is not to blast at 100mph but rather to take my shots one by one. That said look into 'bump fire'... and with the CMC I can say that because of the pull it would be able to be done with that trigger maybe a little easier. I think in my case this is more or less what happened to me. I was shooting off a bipod and I had tensions all in the right spots now that I think about it. I haven't really tried to pump lead as fast as I can down range but I am sure if I ever do want to do rapid fire the CMC is more than up for that.

I am obviously no expert but in hindsight and after thinking on it a few days there is nothing wrong with the trigger per se. One would have to be aware of what it's capable of, especially with the light trigger like mine.

Single stage,flat 3.5lbs that is what I have. The pull is more linear. It doesn't bother me a bit. I like it. But it all depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.

I don't consider it (now) to be a malfunction considering what I was doing and in what situation. The tension I had on the rifle, the recoil, and my finger operating fast led to a quick double tap, NOT an accidental release. Well I guess it depends on what you mean by 'accidental release' though. I wasn't expecting it to happen so in that regard yes. But upon evaluation the conditions were ripe for it considering I was shooting a semi auto rifle in that exact position.

I am of the school of thought that if I want to shoot then my trigger finger should be on the trigger. If not, TAKE IT OFF THE TRIGGER. All or nothing. That's why I like single stage. Some people might like a little heavier pull, which they offer in the same design.

They also have two stage triggers but it's different strokes for different folks.

I personally do not think I could replicate what happened by shoulder firing my rifle. I could be wrong but I don't see it happening.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, OK, I get that. Good follow through will fix that.

Next time you are shooting, make a conscious effort to follow through on the trigger pull all the way to the rear and hold it. Let off slowly until you feel the reset, stop, then take your next shot.

I've found that when I end the shot holding the trigger still depressed, I generally have a smoother pull and better placed shot. If you end your shot with the trigger back forward there is a good chance you didn't follow through very well. Fun for bump fire, but can make you pull your shot.

Sounds like I'll keep the CMC on the list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is one thing I have noticed about the CMC that I have. There is very little as in almost NO take up and there is also very little as in almost no over travel. The entire travel of the trigger front to back from a locked and loaded position to a full back position is MAYBE 1/8 of an inch if you measure horizontally from right where the trigger hooks at the bottom. There isn't much wiggle room there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never doubled up unintentionally with any CMC trigger. I did not like the reset on their 2 stage but still a decent trigger. All I can say if the trigger is actually dangerous then the Geissele SD-3G is a serial killer. After shooting one a lot I still occasionally click off a double if I have been shooting with other more standard triggers.