Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yet, another thread about barrels. Thank you...

Okay. Here's the start of another barrel discussion. After reading my post, if someone has a link to another discussion that answers this, please direct me there. Some of you may know, that I have won a bunch of contests. I now have some pretty impressive parts. :) This is the only way I would get an AR at this time in my life. It's been pretty amazing! I'm down to only needing sights and a barrel to finish. I have some extra parts that I'm trying to sell locally. If that doesn't work, I will post them in the classified section of my favorite forum, WEVO. Since the parts that I have won are all high-quality, I would like to get a high-quality barrel to match with them. I think the parts I'm selling will allow me to get any of the barrels listed below. It may be that the higher-priced ones are a little bit too high. Still, I would like to know your thoughts on these barrels. I don't want to overthink it. The top two are the most expensive. I'm perfectly fine with the less expensive ones in the list. I'm just looking for feedback. I believe all of these fall in the "purpose of use" category that I have for this rifle. Thank you in advance.

Rainier Arms Mountain Series Cold Hammer Forged Barrel 5.56mm NATO - 16 Mid Weight 26oz?

Centurion Arms Hammer Forged Midlength Barrel - 16LW 26oz - Kind of light weight, but not that light. I don't want a pencil barrel. Approx. same weight as the Mountain Series.

Daniel Defense 16" 5.56MM MID-LENGTH,1:7,GOV PROFILE 1.7 lb 27.2 OZ.

Mega 556 Barrel - 16 Finished in Black Nitride Coating
    GUARANTEED TO SHOOT SUB 1 MOA @ 100 YARDS WITH MATCH AMMO!!
    31.2 oz. heaviest of them.

Ballistic Advantage 27 oz.
    5.56 – 16” BA Hanson Midlength 1.9″
    Is 1.9" related to the gas block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the purpose of this rifle going to be?

Downloads
    Uploads
    UW, still got that fluted Rainier for sale? May be a good fit for him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4frnt View Post
    UW, still got that fluted Rainier for sale? May be a good fit for him.
    I do, which is why I kind of wanted to get an idea of what he wanted to do with his gun. I saw he liked the Mega barrel for the 1 MOA at 100 yards with match ammo.

The other 3 above the Mega are more of less hard use, general purpose barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd echo UW and then also ask will this be your only current firearm for self defense?

Both the centurion & RA barrels are made by FN and are excellent quality. If this was my only AR I would go that route personally. If properly cared for your kids will still be shooting this barrel.

However another good choice would be Ballistic Advantage Nitride , especially for the price and quality level.

Edit: I was gonna link a voodoo barrel but I'm using a phone and it's to much work, however UW also has the same barrel I would have suggested for sell. Sounds like you two need to talk :D
    Last edited by DutyUse; 21 January 2015 at 18:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. This will be my only current AR for self- defense. I will take a class from time to time when I can afford it. As an example of what complete rifle I would buy if I had the money. DDM4v11 or BCM KMR. Not looking for a bench gun, but a decently accurate multipurpose rifle.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the idea of a hard use barrel that's pretty accurate. Unfortunately right now, it probably won't see much hard use until I get better off financially.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should look at the Voodoo barrel if you're looking to save some money.

Nitride coated, and reasonably priced. In fact I have a new one for sale in the classifieds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Yes. This will be my only current AR for self- defense. I will take a class from time to time when I can afford it. As an example of what complete rifle I would buy if I had the money. DDM4v11 or BCM KMR.

The BCM CHF barrels are also from FN like the two you posted. Expect 1.5-2" accuracy, which is better then I and most can shoot offhand honestly.

However nitrided voodoo barrels are extremely wear resistant aswell. Same coating as a Glock and we all know how proven those are.
    Last edited by DutyUse; 21 January 2015 at 18:46.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Between the 4 you listed I would pick the Centurion Arms. I've no experience with the Mega though. The Daniel defense is a really good option. It is the cheapest, has polished feed ramps and their customer service is great. The Centurion Arms and Rainier Arms are both produced by FN. If it's not going to be a bench rifle I would pick from your first 3, you'll be extremely happy with any of them.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You should look at the Voodoo barrel if you're looking to save some money.

Nitride coated, and reasonably priced. In fact I have a new one for sale in the classifieds.
    Sounds good, but I need to sell my 11" CMR first. I don't expect you to wait... :) I won't have the funds until then. I have the "B" accessory pack that I am selling with it. If I don't get any of offers soon (locally), I'll put it on the WEVO classified section.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    That voodoo UW has sounds about right for your needs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Rainier Select barrel and they guarantee sub MOA at 100 yards with that one too. All I can say is I LOVE IT.

Here is a bit of information that I have learned specifically about the Rainier barrel I have...and some observations of my own because I just got done with my build.

My barrel is stainless steel. Some people tell you that 'yes it's great but you won't have the barrel life'... NOT TRUE.

I shot 5 groups all back to back at 100 yards... all were 1" or less with off the shelf ammo. I am just now starting to test true match grade ammo. Needless to say I loved the barrel so much that I called Rainier Arms about nitride or melanite treatment for the barrel to extend it's life... and the answer came back "NO WAY. Don't." They have a proprietary system that hardens the barrel to the optimal performance. Any of the two previously mentioned treatments make the barrel too hard. Repeated shooting causes the then brittle metal to eventually crack... and they told me that if I do anything to it it will decrease the barrel life by about 20%.

At the same time their treatments of the barrel will give me 12,000 to 15,000 rounds down range (at least) before it starts to 'fall off' in performance. Stainless steel performance with that kind of life... not too shabby for $250 bucks or so.

That said, if I wasn't a plinker and I was more of a full auto guy I would opt for the mountain series or something like that.

That said if you aren't willing to invest in a good longer range optic and run with that optic, all this sub MOA talk is kind of overkill. Also if you don't have a decent trigger and so on and so forth, once again... the barrel will be a bit of overkill. Yes its cool to say my gun can shoot sub MOA, but the question is, can YOU shoot sub MOA? Or do you even care? If you are going to run a 4x power scope or less, trying to eek out those precision shots is harder to do.

Also if you are not going to routinely shoot really good ammo then the sub MOA thing can become moot. The best barrel on earth will 'suck' with crap ammo. Your shooting costs go up a lot when you are talking about match grade ammo. In other words a kick ass barrel needs other things as well to meet it's potential, especially when you go out past 100 yards... so ask yourself, are you really going to shoot 2-300 yards or more? Are you wanting to shoot the cheapest stuff you can find?

There is nothing at all wrong with a precision rig, I tried to build mine as such and the main thing I am wanting now is a longer optic.

But you have to ask yourself... are you really wanting to go for the sniper type shooting route and build up those skills, or are you going to be doing general purpose blasting and shooting without the obsession that comes with shooting groups?

I am with Uwone in that it sounds like you need to define your purpose and really take stock in what you really will end up doing with the rifle. Long story short, if you have an awesome barrel, with a so so trigger and a so so optic, or even a really good optic, but one that isn't designed for shooting at distance (IE a red dot or something like that) then some of those options might be better than worrying about getting sub MOA action out of a barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    . This is the trigger I just won. I also received a Lantac Dragon. I have been pretty blessed! :-) I guess everyone wants a tack driver, but I think I just want the most accurate multipurpose barrel. That might mean 1-2 MOA. I'm not apposed to stainless. This is all very educational and I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm learning a lot. I guess I'm looking for a loaded out Ford F1 50, not a Ferrari. And definitely not a Prius. :)

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the added weight of the Dragon you may want to consider a LW barrel profile. BCM's ELW line has been getting great reviews, lighter than most LW barrels and handles heat like a standard profile. The ELW is $239.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...16-elw-std.htm
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa