Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want a proven 20k rounds out of a barrel only one that comes to the front of my mind is the filthy 14 ala BCM/FN. Can nitride withstand 20k rounds? Certainly glocks with that many and more. I'm not a scientist but the research indicates the tennifier process used by Glock is almost if not identical to what we now refer to as Melonite/Nitride/QPQ.

The real question isn't what barrel can spit out 20k rounds, but which BCG can withstand that many rounds WITHOUT repair. In that regard the hunt goes on.

Whale Jizz hehe :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    QPQ/Nitride isn't a "coating", it's a treatment. And I'm pretty sure whales aren't involved.

LWRC seems comfortable with it:
    NiCorr™ surface conversion has proved more lubricious, harder wearing, more heat and corrosion resistant than the hard chrome normally used in the bore. Our barrels can handle 20,000 rounds before replacement, as compared to 6,000-10,000 rounds on a standard M4.
    https://www.lwrci.com/t-technology.aspx

And HK isn't chrome lining the barrels on their MR line.
    the MR556A1 does not use a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome-lining can sometimes mask bore imperfections and negatively affect accuracy. For the new series of Heckler & Koch semi-automatic MR rifles, HK designers and engineers believe best accuracy comes with an unlined bore.
    http://hk-usa.com/hk-models/mr556a1/

BCM is certainly a little to no-risk choice, but there is plenty of science behind the Nitriding process.

The interesting thing about "value" is that each of us has to make that judgment on our own, and the answer varies from person to person. Some people place a lot of "value" on brand name recognition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    If you want a proven 20k rounds out of a barrel only one that comes to the front of my mind is the filthy 14 ala BCM/FN. Can nitride withstand 20k rounds? Certainly glocks with that many and more. I'm not a scientist but the research indicates the tennifier process used by Glock is almost if not identical to what we now refer to as Melonite/Nitride/QPQ.
    Glock isn't a real good example since muzzle velocity is most likely under 1300 fps.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Glock isn't a real good example since muzzle velocity is most likely under 1300 fps.
    I knew someone would bring that up

Or the fact just dry firing them can create wear marks on the barrel hood.

It's not perfect. Neither is chrome lining when it comes to accuracy deviation. I do believe the "treatment" of melonite is becoming more common place but is in its infancy when it comes to Rifle parts. At this point in time I agree a Heavy use or self defense barrel and bcg should be chrome lined, but if you have several wth experiment with other materials, coatings and treatments.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yet, another thread about barrels. Thank you...

I hate to sound redundant, but all of this is really good and educational. You have to realize that, I don't know what I don't know, but I love learning. Notable, on BoilerUp's post, is that both LWRCI's & HK's barrels are CHF. I did not see anything about the Filthy 14's barrel being CHF. Does anyone know if it was CHF? It obviously has a pretty impressive history of durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Txfilmmaker; 26 January 2015 at 09:13.
    Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    I hate to sound redundant, but all of this is really good and educational. You have to realize that, I don't know what I don't know, but I love learning. Notable, on BoilerUp's post, is that both LWRCI's & HK's barrels are CHF. I did not see anything about the Filthy 14's barrel being CHF. Does anyone know if it was CHF? It obviously has a pretty impressive history of durability.

The Filthy 14 was the standard button rifled barrel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Didn't know that. I need to read that article again obviously.

Was there another torture test on a BCM BFH barrel?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Didn't know that. I need to read that article again obviously.

Was there another torture test on a BCM BFH barrel?
    I doubt a CHF barrel will be much more durable than a button rifled barrel. The biggest advantage to CHF is bore consistency. The chrome lining is what gives the barrel round count durability, and is stronger than the underlying 4150 grade (CMV) steel.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Looks like a barrel like that would last me a lifetime.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt a CHF barrel will be much more durable than a button rifled barrel. The biggest advantage to CHF is bore consistency. The chrome lining is what gives the barrel round count durability, and is stronger than the underlying 4150 grade (CMV) steel.
    Would that make the CHF more accurate? Or would it not be enough to matter? Before all this started with me winning all of these great quality parts, I would've been thrilled to have owned an M & P Sport. Now, I would like to get a good quality barrel that seems in place with the other parts I have. (Example: CMT TAC Upper/BCG) I like the concept of the Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel, but I really like the track record and reputation of BCM, Daniel Defense and Centurion Arms barrels. I'm leaning towards the BCM & DD since they are more affordable than the Centurion Arms barrel.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    The CHF barrel could possibly be more accurate, but I've seen chrome lined button rifled barrels that are just as accurate. The ammo you decide to use will play a part in accuracy. Some of the time a cheaper barrel with better ammo will out perform an expensive barrel with cheap ammo. An expensive barrel with cheap ammo is like a Ferrari running on 85 octane, you won't get peak performance.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfilmmaker View Post
    Would that make the CHF more accurate? Or would it not be enough to matter? Before all this started with me winning all of these great quality parts, I would've been thrilled to have owned an M & P Sport. Now, I would like to get a good quality barrel that seems in place with the other parts I have. (Example: CMT TAC Upper/BCG) I like the concept of the Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrel, but I really like the track record and reputation of BCM, Daniel Defense and Centurion Arms barrels. I'm leaning towards the BCM & DD since they are more affordable than the Centurion Arms barrel.

I have a BCM LW 14.5" Mid-Length that I am happy with so far. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I had to open the gas port up just a hair. Other than that is has been an awesome barrel and shoots decent groups. I am sure if I spent more time I could get the groups down to 1 MOA, but honestly I just need to hit a 16"x24" target at 100 so I don't worry about it to much.
    Just a regular guy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The CHF barrel could possibly be more accurate, but I've seen chrome lined button rifled barrels that are just as accurate. The ammo you decide to use will play a part in accuracy. Some of the time a cheaper barrel with better ammo will out perform an expensive barrel with cheap ammo. An expensive barrel with cheap ammo is like a Ferrari running on 85 octane, you won't get peak performance.
    I understand.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Computalotapus View Post
    I have a BCM LW 14.5" Mid-Length that I am happy with so far. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I had to open the gas port up just a hair. Other than that is has been an awesome barrel and shoots decent groups. I am sure if I spent more time I could get the groups down to 1 MOA, but honestly I just need to hit a 16"x24" target at 100 so I don't worry about it to much.
    Outside of a way to describe accuracy, I don't want to get too hung up on the MOA thing. Sure... I'll take that match grade accurate, sub-MOA, cold hammer forged, thick barreled, melonite & dbl chrome lined treated, light weight 22oz 16" version, please. $160 dollars, right? Which one is that? ;-) LOL. I "am" considering a 16" or 14.5" LW OR ELW BCM. Those are definitely possibilities. You're the second WEVO Vet to suggest those and BCM barrels, in general, are on my short list.

Facebook - Marty Callan

Downloads
    Uploads

Yet, another thread about barrels. Thank you...

Get a 16". 14.5's are to much headache